submenu not appearing in html

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! site? Pop your questions in here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
stevemonty
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

submenu not appearing in html

Post by stevemonty » Wed May 03, 2006 4:29 pm

Hi

My submenus are not appearing in the code of my site. I have tried placing submenus on other sites and it worked fine. So am a little puzzled why this should be. Please take a look at:

http://janettenorton.info

there should be a submenu item under Feedback. This is my first real joomla site after several demo sites, and the first where i developed my own template.

Thanks

Steve :laugh:

pioneer1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: submenu not appearing in html

Post by pioneer1 » Fri May 12, 2006 9:52 pm

Strange. I am having the identical problem (w/Joomla 1.08)

Although my site was working fine, all of the sudden, my submenus stopped expanding.

If I set the menu option to 'expand all' they are there, but obviously I don't want that.

Changing templates doesn't make a difference, creating new menus doesn't make a difference. Deleting all menu items & recreating doesn't make a difference.

Nothing works as far as submenus go (even the most basic mod_mainmenu menu...with no css, no extended menu, etc etc).

Obviously I must have done something, because these things don't stop working by themselves, but I was in the middle of changing and adding all kinds of content, so I have no clue what the last thing I changed that may have caused this was.

I have spent the last 3 hours trying to figure this out with no solution. I am very close to starting from scratch (reinstall Joomla)

But my fear is that this may happen again & I may not be able to start from scratch so easily...

I have never had this happen before and i've been using Mambo/Joomla for quite some time.

I suspect a portion of the core Joomla menu structure (SQL records) has become corrupt, but that is just a guess.

rwoody
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rwoody » Sat May 13, 2006 1:04 am

I seem to have the same problem.  I've just installed joomla 1.08 w/virtue Mart for a customer and I can't get any of the submenus to appear. I have multiple Mambo/Joomla sites installed for different clients and never had this issue before.  Is there a bug in the code?  I have a deadline to get this finished.  :'(  This is really critical for this site.  Can someone advise if this is a bug and if so is there a patch?

Thanks

pioneer1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pioneer1 » Sat May 13, 2006 6:58 pm

I have virtutemart installed for a few months.

However the most recent component I installed was CB V1 Stable (yesterday actually)

I am totally perplexed.

I'll let you know if I find anything out (other than a reinstall!)

stevemonty
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stevemonty » Mon May 15, 2006 8:55 am

I checked a basic site i installed locally from the same Joomla install, and the submenus work fine on that. So its something to do with how i have set it up on the other web server, or possibly to do with component installation, although I have only installed the most common extentions so I don't think its that.

I think I will back up my db and images and try a fresh install

Steve ???

stevemonty
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stevemonty » Mon May 15, 2006 2:26 pm

I exported mysql into a new website and the submenus still do not work.

I then switched the database to another database and submenus work.

Therefore there must be a problem built into my mysql database structure and not neccesarily the php code..

i will investigate further.... ;)

stevemonty
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stevemonty » Mon May 15, 2006 6:16 pm

Solved it (for me at least)

I changed the menu style from flat to vertical and the submenus appear..This is under Site Modules, Edit Menu

I had read that flat was better because it used only div tags instead of tables, but it doesn't seem to pick up the submenus for me..

hope this helps

Steve  ;)

pioneer1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pioneer1 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:52 pm

Unfortuantely, that's not my problem as well (the flat/vertical menu list format).

I don't have a solution at this point.

Glad you solved your problem & posted the solution though Steve, hopefulyl it helps some others.

Thanks

annunaki
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by annunaki » Tue May 16, 2006 7:42 pm

I have the same (or at least a similar) problem. Some modules (assigned to a menu) don't appear on the pages I assigned them to. It happened just now, never had a problem like that before ...

pioneer1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pioneer1 » Sat May 20, 2006 6:26 pm

Just fyi, i ended up reinstalling...I couldn't waste any more time.

I was tempted to dive into the core DB files but decided my time would be better spent doing other things..

rwoody
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: submenu not appearing in html URGENT - PLEASE HELP!!

Post by rwoody » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:01 pm

Has this ever been solved?  I ended up using Mambo and VM to get the site I asked about earlier in this thread (back in May) to get all to work, but now with the upgrades to Mambo, it's now broken VM  ???  VM is more or less saying they are no longer compiant with Mambo so there's seems no help in making repairs there (prices disappeared - only call for prices now).

I just did a new install of Zoomla with VM 1.10/1.06 -  mapping over the menus and still I can't get the submenus to appear.  I tried creating a brand new menu to see if it was something from the old format and nope - no joy - can't create any new submenus either.

Now a new patch for Joomla is issued - 1.11, and I have every iteration of this site in a broken state and I reallly don't know what to do.  Does anyone have submenus working?  I've checked and rechecked the db file and all is accurate - structure.  I have 30 sub- menu items and child items attached there so you can see I really have a huge problem.  I've had this person's site down for two days trying to fix all these issues and I'm just absolutely stumpped.

Can anyone help at all - please???  I'm starting to look for sharp implements....  :'(

ekorn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: submenu not appearing in html URGENT - PLEASE HELP!!

Post by ekorn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:48 pm

rwoody wrote: Has this ever been solved?
I think I have it: Only the "Vertical" menu style seems to expand submenus properly. (Admin > Modules > Site Modules > e.g. Main Menu > Menu Style.) This can be reproduced on a clean install of Joomla 1.0.11:
  • Install Joomla 1.0.11 with sample data.
  • Make a submenu: Admin > Menu > mainmenu > "Blog", set its parent to the "News" item.
  • View the site, click the "News" menu item; the "Blog" item will now show.
  • Now change to "Flat list" or "Horizontal" menu style as described above. Go to Home, refresh, click News again. Now the Blog item does not show.
It might be reasonably straightforward to hack the menu module code, borrowing parts from the Vertical display to the others.

The Extended Menu appears to be an excellent substitute: http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/. I have only tested it briefly on a clean install, but:
  • Install the Extended Menu module (Download the zip file, then go to Admin > Installers > Modules)
  • Publish it (Admin > Modules > Site Modules > Extended Menu > Toggle Published)
  • Admin > Modules > Site Modules > Extended Menu > Menu name > Select "mainmenu"
  • Admin > Modules > Site Modules > Extended Menu > Menu Style > Select "Flat list", "CSS tree", or whatever you prefer.
  • You'll probably want to hide the original menu once things work: Admin > Module > Main Menu > Toggle Published.
Hope this helps! It certainly heralds a new era of userfriendliness for my visitors -- I hope 8-)

rwoody
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rwoody » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:18 am

Thanks so much for your reply.  I finally dumped the existing menu table and uploaded a fresh version from the latest release and rebuilt the entire menu(s) from scratch.  I now have them back.  Apparently there was something not visable to me in the table that was corrupted.

Thanks again
Last edited by rwoody on Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaveBelden
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DaveBelden » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:34 am

I don't suppose anyone's come up with a solution that doesn't involve re-installing Joomla? The third-party solutions seem like a lot of hoop-jumping for something so simple... seemingly simple, anyway.

tj.baker
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tj.baker » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:39 pm

I am so glad I found this thread....  :)

I am having the same issue.  I don't understand why it is that the submenu shows up when the menu is set to vertical, but not when it's flat list.  I have spent a considerable amount of time on this, however, I am still fairly new to CSS and PHP, so...... I could spend quite a bit more time and never find the solution.... hehe

Any help would be very much appreciated!

peace,

tj

tj.baker
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tj.baker » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:51 pm

rwoody wrote: .... I finally dumped the existing menu table and uploaded a fresh version from the latest release and rebuilt the entire menu(s) from scratch.  I now have them back.  Apparently there was something not visable to me in the table that was corrupted.
If no other solution can be offered, I would be willing to give this a shot.
Where in Joomla! is the info for the menu tables stored so I can either look at the code or re-install?

peace,

tj

DaveBelden
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DaveBelden » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:42 pm

tj,

You could try looking in your database, which is not for the faint of heart. Your host should be able to direct you to where it's located. You typically administer it using phpMyAdmin, which your host probably has installed.

You'll be able to see the entire structure of the database, but if you haven't played with it before, you might want to avoid changing anything.

At any rate, if you're game, you can probably 'drop' the existing menu tables, though I'm not actually sure where you'd upload fresh ones from. Hm... rwoody, can you answer that?

What ever you do, be careful in the database!

Dave

ekorn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ekorn » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:28 pm

tj.baker wrote: I don't understand why it is that the submenu shows up when the menu is set to vertical, but not when it's flat list.  I have spent a considerable amount of time on this, however, I am still fairly new to CSS and PHP, so...... I could spend quite a bit more time and never find the solution.... hehe
Looking at the file modules/mod_mainmenu.php, I think submenu display is simply not implemented, I repeat: not implemented, for the other styles.

function mosShowVIMenu() [VI = vertically indented] has a section commented with "establish the hierarchy of the menu", "first pass - collect children", etc., which calls function mosRecurseVIMenu(). By contrast, function mosShowHFMenu() (HF = horizontal, flat) has nothing of the sort.

I have reported this as a bug: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... #msg461338, but haven't seen any followups thus far.

The "Extended menu" module is a straightforward workaround, but I haven't found any summary of the various display styles it offers. I use display type "tree list".

DaveBelden
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DaveBelden » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:21 am

Well, my problem is that submenus don't work, period, regardless of whether I choose vertical or flat list (I'd prefer the latter, of course). I'd tolerate vertical in this case, but alas... I've tried re-installing mod_mainmenu.php, thinking something was funky there. I guess I'll have to try mucking around in the database, huh?

paulwert
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by paulwert » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:52 am

So, I was experiencing the same problem.
Had submenu's one time (either with or without extended module) and Bang.... Gone !!

Tried everything, all actions above... DB-digging, un/reinstall ext. menu; no help...
Fortunately I had just started configuring a new site so I lost only 1,5 hour structure/content setup and 2 hours searching. :'(  >:(:'(
Then I decide to do a rm * and start all over again.

New Installation of Joomla... New setup of structure/content/ext.menu with suckerfish horizontal-> expanding submenus OK
All the same actions as on the previous run and this way I could reproduce the problem: IT IS A BUG in the system (where ? Dunno)

Here is how I reproduced it:
-My client had some 'registered content-items' that he wanted in an expanding sub-menu (visable but not available).
-So I thought: OK, that's possible; I put them in extended menu/always expand/suckerfish
and in global-site-config I turn on: Show Unauthorized Links:  to Yes 
-Then the submenu's were gone, couldn't get them back switching back, gone forever !!!

So a second rm* and re-install : Gonna call my client that delivery is one day later, (or wait for 1.5) need some sleep now. :(
I have another site that has 20+ hours work in it, I'm NOT gonna try there, that could run into a disaster !! :-[
But if you want to try to reproduce the bug yourself, let us know on this thread...

And if you know a solution: Welcome

DaveBelden
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DaveBelden » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:09 am

I really hope this has been solved in 1.5, 'cuz it clearly hasn't been solved in the current version. I finally gave up and faked the sub-menus by indenting the menu items with hyphens... pretty slick, huh?!

Cheesefood
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Cheesefood » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:40 pm

I'm resurecting an old thread here, but the Extensions module isn't cooperating.

I'm using the latest version of Joomla (1.0.12)
I'm using the latest Extension module
I have tried setting mainmenu to either vertical or flat
I have the Extended Menu set to Tree List
I have Expand Menu set to Yes
I unpublished the original menu module.
I published the Extended Menu module.

Nothing appears. No menu at all.

Cheesefood
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Cheesefood » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:44 pm

Scratch that. My fault. I had an old version installed. My mistake.

SoftDux
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SoftDux » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:31 am

Does anyone know if this bug will be fixed, in the current version? 1.5 isn't stable enough for production yet, nor is it available to our clients via cPanel's Fantastico or Plesk's Application Vault.

I juist installed a new site a few days ago, setup the template, content, etc, then made a few sub menus, which doesn't appear. Neither in Flat list OR Vertical. And it's not a template problem, since the same template works on my home PC (running  Joomla 1.0.11 Stable ), yet the current (stable?) version is 1.0.12 - this is also the default version available via Fantastico & Application Vault, two best selling "hosting features", and a lot of clients purchase hosting, cause they have the ability to install & update Joomla without having to know about FTP & phpMyAdmin

Can someone please confirm when this bug will be fixed?

Return to “Administration - 1.0.x”