Sorting, Multiple Language, PHP ISO-8859-1 and UTF8

A place to discuss Joomla! translation matters.

Moderator: wendhausen

gram
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Sorting, Multiple Language, PHP ISO-8859-1 and UTF8

Post by gram » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:13 pm

I need to find a way to more completely understand some fo the following mechanisms:

Joomla uses a constant, named _ISO, to set appropriate ISO encoding for webpages.  Where is this set, and what does it use as its authority?  Is there a setting somewhere that coorelates to this, or is everything (like cerrilic) ISO-8859-1?

I need to sort an array of strings, that could potentially be UTF8, Unicode, or ASCII.  I see that PHP has functions for converting from one to another, and am considering using UTF8 as a base, thus converting everything else to UTF8 for purposes of sorting.

Will PHP's sort/string functions properly sort UTF8 according to the characters and language contained in the string?  OR does it follow a simpler methodology of simply stacking the characters based on their occurence or rank within the UTF8 code points?

I know this is a weakness in PHP, and am trying to get to the point where this code can reasonably sort, with some degree of accuracy, languages other than just english ASCII.

Any help would be appreciated, including any experience with languages other than English.

Thanks, and hope someone pops in here  :)

GRAM
GRAM
http://coders.mlshomequest.com/ < -- Developer of samSiteMap component

neckermann
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Sorting, Multiple Language, PHP ISO-8859-1 and UTF8

Post by neckermann » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:28 am

root/languages/english.php

Return to “Translations”