Something's gotta be wrong...

A place to discuss Joomla! translation matters.

Moderator: wendhausen

MadBoy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Something's gotta be wrong...

Post by MadBoy » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:50 am

I have a big problem and i hope somebody will help me solve it. http://fm.kis.lt is my site, and the problem is, when this site is in English everything's working fine, but if i change it to Lithuanian, the first page looks fine. But if you press login button without entering anything, it shows error "Wrong user name or password", but in lithuanian language and without special lithuanian characters. So the problem is i can't get to work those characters in error messages.

davidgal
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Something's gotta be wrong...

Post by davidgal » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:20 am

Hi MadBoy,

From what I can gather from my browser source of your site -- you are using utf-8 encoding while Joomla 1.0.x does not support utf-8. This will only come with version 1.1.

I suggest the following remedy:

- Make sure you are running on a clean install of Joomla 1.0.4 (not an earlier version of 1.1)

- Change the encoding for the site in the _ISO setting of the language file to the appropriate single-byte encoding for Lithuanian.

- If you manually built the database or modified database or table encoding to utf-8  -- you should migrate to a new database without utf-8 encoding (the default latin1 is OK). If you did not touch the database - you can disregard this item.

- The content in the database may have been saved in utf-8 form (even without the database being set to utf-8 encoding). (You will see this if after changing the site encoding you see garbled characters where you expect an extended ASCII character). If this is the case you should export the data from the database and using a text editor that is utf-8 compatible, save the sql file as ASCII and then reload it to the database.

Hope it does not sound too complicated. Let me know what happened  :)
David Gal

MadBoy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MadBoy » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:42 am

Hi,
thanx for a quick reply i'll try to apply these changes and will keep you updated, cause i've seen joomla pages in lithuanian that actually works using other codes such as win-1287. baltic encoding and others, 
The other thing i might be tempted to do is to wait till we get joomla 1.1 stable final version? :D
I suppose all my problems should be gone with that.
Any news on that, when is it going to be released?

davidgal
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by davidgal » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:28 pm

MadBoy wrote: ...Any news on that, when is it going to be released?
This is a feel of how things look right now:

Joomla! 1.1 alpha 2 shall be released for testing soon (this week, beginning of next week normally)
Then count 2 to 3 weeks to release beta.
Then it depends on the remaining bugs to get the final release online.
David Gal

Return to “Translations”