Multiple languages and selection between these sites...

A place to discuss Joomla! translation matters.

Moderator: wendhausen

elex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Multiple languages and selection between these sites...

Post by elex » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:02 pm

It's me again,

I am wondering about how I will let a website viewer make  a selection between languages..
I don't know about joomfish, cause it's not out yet, but I have played a bit with mambelfish and I know it lets one translate the entire site into another language (if installed ofcourse).

This is all good, but where does the content with the language go ? Does it go into the same database as the original language ?

Second, I would like to have for instance a splash screen and / or  a link in my site to the site with a different language... I mean that when someone is in the english site and then wants for instance let's say a chinese site, they would click a button called 'chinese'.... 

Also , I might want to have the option of letting a different template to be loaded according to the selected language (for instance if a site is hebrew, then the template should be inverted, thus I need a different template for that language)...

I do not know where to start or how to do this... If anyone has ANY answers at all about the above questions, they would be very helpfull to me ...

Thanks in advance..
Elex

alexhokamp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Multiple languages and selection between these sites...

Post by alexhokamp » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:09 pm

Hi, I would say you start with a Joomla 1.0.4 installation and then install MambelFish 1.5. How its done you find all over the forum.

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... #msg121017
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,20940.0.html
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php?topic ... icseen#new

But you have to know, you will have to patch a few files (3) to make MambelFish work with Joomla 1.0.4. If you have time, and want to wait, soon (maybe Christmas) there will be probably the first release of Joom!Fish, but it is not going to be a full version, maybe an alpha version or so.

For me, I work with Joomla 1.0.4 and MambelFish and have it running without any problems.  If you want to look, here is the link, but be carefull it is a Testsite for a pure CSS style. It is all working, but the colors and positions, and sizes can be off at times because of the experimenting with CSS. The languages are installed, and I have already translated some of the menus into German, but mostly when you switch languages the standart messages are changed, but the content is not translated yet. As I said it is a TestGround.

http://www.alexhokamp.com/CMS/Joomla/index.php

elex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by elex » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:02 pm

Thanks for you reply alex...

I was wondering.... what about for instance the module title ? They don't seem to change with the language changes. Is this correct ? If yes... then is there a way around this or are we stuck with english modulet titles ?

Also, do you have any idea where mamblefish stores its data ? Doest it put the other languaged content in the same database wich is used for the original language or will it use a different database ?

Or will it make extra tables in the original database and put the translated content there ?

Thanks in advance..
Elex

davidgal
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by davidgal » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:04 pm

elex wrote: I am wondering about how I will let a website viewer make  a selection between languages...

...This I do not know where to start or how to do this... If anyone has ANY answers at all about the above questions, they would be very helpfull to me ...
Elex
A good place to start is the Multi-language Child-board of this Language Board  :)
David Gal

alexhokamp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by alexhokamp » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:17 pm

In mabelfish it is possible to translate everything. categories, contacts, contents, menus, modules, newsfeeds, polls, sections, weblinks. I hope I did not forget anything.

The only things mabelfish has no access to are the system integrated texts and messages. But for this texts and messages, there are the language files, and if you do not like the texts in the language files, you can change them too with a texteditor.

Mambelfish stores its data in the same database the Joomla installation uses, and even uses the same table prefix. Actually in its present version it uses only 2 tables, one for the languages, and one for the translated content.

Hope that answers your questions a little ...

jakira
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jakira » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:17 pm

Hello alexhokamp,
I have a problem with the component "weblinks".  I do everything as your you say, but it does not translate of correct form categories to me of the weblinks.  In the translation he takes the names from categories of content.
Please, excuse me by my English, I use google translator.

Thanks in advance..
Jakira

alexhokamp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by alexhokamp » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:50 am

@jakira

Checked it out, it is not working on my page either. I Need to figure out why, because it translate only partial texts in the weblink component.

Return to “Translations”