Joomla in Mongolian language

A place to discuss Joomla! translation matters.

Moderator: wendhausen

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla in Mongolian language

Post by infograf768 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:07 am

Have you contacted Altansukh (See above)?
His work for 1.5 is in Cyrillic.
com_localise can't make zips at this stage as this would require more coding to get in the xx-XX.localise.php and install.xml

Language tag for Mongolian cyrillic is mn-MN
For Kalhka, could be : khk-MN
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

dpottier
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dpottier » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:34 am

I had previously emailed Sukh asking if he was doing the translation for 1.7 but no reply. It's a big job for one person. I sent him a PM earlier today when I posted my msg here. Hopefully he will have some input. As he said Mongolian is not a technical language so many words do not translate. Adopting Russian terms just would not cut it here.

I will see if I can get a contact at the Mongolian national standards development body, National Center for Standardization and Metrology and ask for an opinion.

Get Feng Office http://sourceforge.net/projects/opengoo ... engoffice/
They have the zip routines in their Localization component. Might save some coding time. We are going to try to get Feng Office translated in Mongolian as well.

We could possibly use Kalkha Mongol for the script designation but that still leaves an issue with presenting a Latin option.
from PAN Localization Survey of Language Computing in Asia 2005
Character Set and Encoding

Mongolian, written in the Mongolian script uses Unicode code block 1800-18AF as the standard encoding. Mongolian written in Cyrillic script uses the Unicode Cyrillic code page 0400-04FF as the standard encoding.

For the Mongolian character set based on Cyrillic script adopted, Microsoft code page 866 and Windows code page 1251 are adopted as national standards. Some guidelines to convert between these encodings are available at. Other encodings include ISO 8859-5 and KO18.

The Mongolian national standards development body, National Center for Standardization and Metrology (MNCSM) has recently adopted 31 ISO standards on IT terminology as their Mongolian national standards. For Mongolian script, the ISO/IEC 10646 (Unicode) character encoding standard has been adopted as the national standard.
To be compliant with W3 - RFC 4646: Tags for the Identification of Languages - Mongolian Cyrillic mn-Cyrl-MN

Therefore we could use mn-Kalk-MN for classical script and mn-Latn-MN for Latin Alphabet similar to our French-Canadian fr-Latn-CA

Greatly appreciate your opinions and advice.

David

Altansukh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Altansukh » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi Dpottier. I was traveling and came back yesterday.

I will work on porting my J1.6 files (about 60% done) into J1.7 and put them on Joomlacode. Please send me your JC username and I'll add you into the repository.

Regarding fonts - You have mistaken current Mongolian Cyrillic (UTF-8) with the traditional Mongolian script. Official script is the Mongolian Cyrillic. I'll start the INI files and let you know.

Thanks.
Sukh

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:29 pm

To be compliant with W3 - RFC 4646: Tags for the Identification of Languages - Mongolian Cyrillic mn-Cyrl-MN

Therefore we could use mn-Kalk-MN for classical script and mn-Latn-MN for Latin Alphabet similar to our French-Canadian fr-Latn-CA
Also, we do not use that kind of tags but lang(2 or 3 letters)-country(2 letters)
These are ISO standards
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

dpottier
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dpottier » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:08 am

Salut Jean-Marie
infograf768 wrote:Also, we do not use that kind of tags but lang(2 or 3 letters)-country(2 letters)
These are ISO standards
It is true, the two letter code is the old ISO standard but this is a web application and following W3 standards, as well as the new ISO 639-6 four-letter codes that denote variants of languages, should be usable giving us more parameters for the world's various languages.

David

dpottier
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dpottier » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:01 am

Altansukh wrote:I will work on porting my J1.6 files (about 60% done) into J1.7 and put them on Joomlacode. Please send me your JC username and I'll add you into the repository.

Regarding fonts - You have mistaken current Mongolian Cyrillic (UTF-8) with the traditional Mongolian script. Official script is the Mongolian Cyrillic. I'll start the INI files and let you know.
Sainuu Sukh

I did not mistake the Cyrillic and Mongolian classical script. I would like to find a way, and some people with the skills, to encode the classical script for the modern web. That presents the additional problem of finding, or creating, the technological language in script or is it an easier road because Classical Mongolian script is phonemic?

I live in UB and see 2 languages (Mongolian and English), and 3 alphabets (Cyrillic, Latin and Classical script), in use here. With so many books here, and the Internet, using the Latin alphabet and people chatting, emailing and doing business using the Latin alphabet are we not in a natural transition to that alphabet? Should we not offer that option in a translation?

I do not have a JC username, just my Joomla login ID. I thought you might have stopped working with Joomla or on the translation and I setup a beta site with Joomla 1.7.

Idree and I have begun translation efforts there ad would like to have your translated code to work on. I can create an account for you there. My idea in doing this was that we could pass individual files to IT and other friends and get them involved in the translation process and maybe speed things up.

What are your personal feelings on Classical Mongolian script? I have met many people here who take great pride in their script skills. Could it become a sense of national pride to have a web site offering classical script?

David

Return to “Translations”