Irish language translation?

A place to discuss Joomla! translation matters.

Moderator: wendhausen

batmanjd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Irish language translation?

Post by batmanjd » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:44 pm

That sounds really good.  My Irish is so rusty that it's not suitable at all for translation - I'm planning a refresher course soon.

The v1.5 texts need a good bit of work done to them, as they are only about 30% complete.  There is one person who has started a bit of work on them, but then stopped.  I could retrieve them and see what has been done.  Essentially, the main words are translated, but the text strings which have them in sentences need translated now. 

If that is something that you could help with, that would be great.  Let me know if that would be OK.

[I was first interested in v1.5 for our own website, but it became too much work.  When I persuaded another person who had v1.0 already translated to release it for general use, I used that for our website (almost finished).  V1.5 is a project that I would like to see complete, but it could probably be best finished by someone who can do the translating as well as manage the project.]

Regards, John Duffy.

fr1day
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fr1day » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:08 pm

Hi Folks,

My wife is looking to setup a website for the gaelscoil she's working in so an Irish translation would be very useful. Is there any progress on this? Or even if there were just a translation for the front end, that would be enough to get the site live and any configuration etc can be done in English. I'm not even bothered at how rough and ready any existing progress is but it'd be nice to have something that she can have a look at to at to make a start.

batmanjd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by batmanjd » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:35 pm

Hi, I've just received the additional texts translated for v1.0.12 which were needed as the existing translations were for 1.0.10.  If you're not worried about having the latest version of Joomla!, v1.5, then v1.0.12 will allow you to have the frontend in Irish, switchable into English with Joomfish.  I've got some ongoing login problems with joomla.org so may not be able to add files, but I can email the file to you if you want, when I have it updated in a few days.  If you would like the v1.5 texts as they are, I can send them too.
Regards, John D.

fr1day
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fr1day » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:38 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, she decided top go with another CMS she's more familiar with in the end so I won't be needing the translations after all.

Thanks anyway.

batmanjd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by batmanjd » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:41 pm

fr1day wrote: Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, she decided top go with another CMS she's more familiar with in the end so I won't be needing the translations after all.

Thanks anyway.
Does the other CMS have an Irish language translation available?

fr1day
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fr1day » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:12 pm

No, but it makes it very easy to translate just the bits she needs to get the site live. Haven't managed to find a CMS with an existing fully functional Irish translation, at least not a free one anyway :)

batmanjd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by batmanjd » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:32 pm

fr1day wrote: No, but it makes it very easy to translate just the bits she needs to get the site live. Haven't managed to find a CMS with an existing fully functional Irish translation, at least not a free one anyway :)
Have a look at http://www.cgcf.net/new where I've loaded up the Irish translation for v1.0.12 (works with 1.0.13).  The translations for the menu titles and content are not loaded up yet, but I hope to do that over the next 10 days.  It's rough still, with no photos etc, but the CMS seems to be working fine.  JEvents is also there, as is Facileforms (a really easy to learn and use form creation component).  Joomla! and Facileforms are translated for the frontend only, but JEvents is backend translated too, for creating events through the frontend.

I'm trying to get them loaded up to the forge project, and I'll post here when they're available there.  Email me for the files in the meantime (johnduffy at cgcf dot net)

Regards, JD

batmanjd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by batmanjd » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:52 pm

Well, we're starting to make some progress. I've got 1.0.13 frontend files working, along with the frontend of JEvents, and all of Facileforms. I've also eventually got access to the project site after some issues with it, so I'll package the 1.0.13 etc. files and post them soon.
Also, commercial developer Steve Jacobs has suggested taking the existing work and trying to get it translated, as he did for the initial Mambo frontend files. That will speed things up greatly. First, though, I'll need to get the latest files to compare what has been added from some time ago.
I'll check the translation forum stuff again, and see what it takes to get the Irish extension active for 1.0.13, and post the files there. It'll be next week, though, before I can do so.
I haven't had any response from those I've contacted here or by email, so I presume that Steve's work is the only way to get it completed.
I'll post again when there is more info.
John Duffy

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:16 am

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... &sk=t&sd=a

If any specific questions please ask.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

batmanjd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by batmanjd » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:24 am

infograf768 wrote:http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... &sk=t&sd=a

If any specific questions please ask.
Thanks Jean-Marie

rvbgnu
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rvbgnu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:43 pm

Hi,
Is there any news about the Irish translation? The available files are for Joomla 1.0.13, and there is nothing in the SVN repository. Because I did not see any recent activity on the JoomlaCode.org side, I am asking here to get in touch with the current Irish translator team. (I have read the documents about Translations, but feel free to tell me or advise me if you feel I have miss something ;-).

I am able to put some translations back for Joomla 1.5.14 and help in managing files (versionning, packaging and testing). But I am a French native speaker, learning Irish, not a native Irish one. So I know some resources who can help and proofread the translation. I am be happy to provide my humble help to beautiful Joomla community!

Have a nice day,
Hervé
Best Regards, Hervé Boinnard
Joomla! multilingual website and online business made easy - https://www.puma-it.ie
Joomla Irish Translation Team: https://crowdin.com/project/joomla-cms/ga-IE#
Twitter: @Puma_IT

batmanjd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by batmanjd » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:03 pm

rvbgnu wrote:Hi,
Is there any news about the Irish translation? The available files are for Joomla 1.0.13, and there is nothing in the SVN repository. Because I did not see any recent activity on the JoomlaCode.org side, I am asking here to get in touch with the current Irish translator team. (I have read the documents about Translations, but feel free to tell me or advise me if you feel I have miss something ;-).

I am able to put some translations back for Joomla 1.5.14 and help in managing files (versionning, packaging and testing). But I am a French native speaker, learning Irish, not a native Irish one. So I know some resources who can help and proofread the translation. I am be happy to provide my humble help to beautiful Joomla community!
Hervé, thanks for the offer of help. Currently, the v1.5 translation is making such slow progress that it is virtually stalled. Translators have done a bit, and others have failed to help. We're stuck at about 1/3rd the way through, and need fresh input from translators who can help. My Irish is not fluent either. If you know of others who may wish to help translate into Irish, that would be great. Help on the SVN side of things would be great also if others were able to some on board.

Let me know what you think.

Regards, John Duffy

rvbgnu
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rvbgnu » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:47 am

Hi John,
Thanks for your prompt reply.
We're stuck at about 1/3rd the way through, and need fresh input from translators who can help. If you know of others who may wish to help translate into Irish, that would be great.
Yes, some people may wish to help. For them, I must find a summary or a short explanation of the community principle of Free/Libre software, and the credits/licensing issue of the work done, because they have little background in the computer and software field.
Anyway, could you send me by email the current files? so I can figure out what need to be translated, and maybe split it into different parts.
Help on the SVN side of things would be great also if others were able to some on board.
I will probably gather some text or spreadsheet files, and then commit them on SVN. But I must have "Developer Subversion Access" for that, Anyway, I need the content done before that.

I will search the forum for a way to work efficiently on translations with non computer literate persons.

Regards,
Hervé
Joomla! multilingual website and online business made easy - https://www.puma-it.ie

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:42 am

rvbgnu wrote: Yes, some people may wish to help. For them, I must find a summary or a short explanation of the community principle of Free/Libre software, and the credits/licensing issue of the work done, because they have little background in the computer and software field.

Please read Joomla Translation Policy
http://community.joomla.org/translation ... olicy.html
and look at Typical file headers
http://community.joomla.org/translation ... aders.html

Regards

rvbgnu
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rvbgnu » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:59 am

Merci Jean-Marie!

I was reading this exactly.
And also the thread on the great Language Files Manager Component
Even more easy to take back the generated files into my local SVN, and merge them with the nightly build from Joomla! SVN, find the new items and fill the missing strings and sentences as soon as they appear: it's easier to find some quick help to translate 5 or 10 sentences, than 100s in a row 8)

Multi-language support and simple tools to manage translations, all in the same FLOSS CMS? Thanks to the Joomla! team and community. That's great here!

Best regards,
Hervé

batmanjd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by batmanjd » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:28 pm

rvbgnu wrote:Yes, some people may wish to help.

Anyway, could you send me by email the current files? so I can figure out what need to be translated, and maybe split it into different parts.
Thanks Hervé, that sounds great.
At present, I have reduced the multiple files with often multiple instances of the same text strings down to a single spreadsheet file with unique text strings only. [I've also referenced the source file and line numbers for reconstructing the individual files later, at which time I can compare the files to see if there are any changes since doing this. I quite used to manipulating date in this way from my work as an engineer.] I've updated a few weeks ago too, so it should be up to date. This is one way to make the translation consistent and without duplication of effort. The file is uploaded for colaborative work at http://www.box.net/shared/2rvtyfo1fu and if you email or PM me I can send you the password for access. This can be used to give out sections to people as required, and then the translation pasted back in. Is this a reasonable way forward for the meantime? Or do you think that the SVN route is more practical for your contacts?

Regards, John D

rvbgnu
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rvbgnu » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:34 pm

Thanks John,
I will look at your file. I agree that multiple instances of the same strings are quite hard to manage. I have to make some tests to see how these files are "manageable" with SVN. For the none-technical persons, I do not know a software or an GUI for them, I am using an IDE (Eclipse) and development tools.
I also want to try the Language Files Manager Component to find out as well how user friendly it is, compare to the multiple instances "issue".
Like you said before in this thread, finishing the front-end is the first step IMO, maybe essential to motivate other users to give it a try and to provide feedback, and so to have some corrections (text/content bugs).

Regards, Hervé
(email send in the meantime)

batmanjd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by batmanjd » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:47 pm

Hervé,
Let me know what you think when you've seen the file.

Thanks, JD

rvbgnu
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rvbgnu » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:11 pm

Hi John,

Sorry for the late reply. I look at your file. I processed it, partly by hand, to reconstruct the ga-IE.ini files. And I set-up a basic website with the sample datas for Joomla, and the Language Files Manager Component, to see the result (URL sent by PM).

I will be interested to know how do you reconstruct the files. If it is not written down, and if more convenient, we can find a way to talk. I am not a great spreadsheet user! Do you automatically split them at some point?

Then, I have sent for translation the single occurrences of what need to be translated, split in 4 files (almost 400 lines). I will keep you posted on progress.

Maybe, once the front-end is translated, and update with the latest version of Joomla, I will be glad to maintain it for the forthcoming versions. Then, keeping track of multiple instances will still be useful. But is there another way to do it? Any idea out there in the forum?

All the Best,
Hervé

batmanjd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by batmanjd » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:01 am

rvbgnu wrote:Hi John,
Sorry for the late reply. I look at your file. I processed it, partly by hand, to reconstruct the ga-IE.ini files. And I set-up a basic website with the sample datas for Joomla, and the Language Files Manager Component, to see the result (URL sent by PM).
Hervé, that looks really promising. It's great to see your work on it moving it forward.
I will be interested to know how do you reconstruct the files. If it is not written down, and if more convenient, we can find a way to talk. I am not a great spreadsheet user! Do you automatically split them at some point?
I'm not a programmer, although I have been taught it a bit, but have had to manipulate lots of text data in Excel for work in the past, among other things. I used VBA for that as it was convenient. What I would do in Excel is to;
1 Use the vlookup formula in the root, install and admin sheets, with a lookup formula in each cell of the column next to the English, to find the English text in the Complete List sheet, and return the Irish translation. e.g. in Admin sheet, cell B2270, enter
=VLOOKUP(RIGHT(A2270,LEN(A2270)-SEARCH("=",A2270)),'Complete list 1.5.2'!$F$1:$G$4177,2,FALSE)
and the Irish should be displayed. Change 2270 for other cells in that sheet, or copy and paste that cell as it is, and Excel will change just these automatically.
2 I'd also use a formula copy across any cell that began with # or use an autofilter on the English text, selecting custom on the selection and show cells starting with # to display only those which should be copied.
3 I'd compare English and Irish to see if there are any blank Irish and non-blank English (using auto-filter and selecting blank in the Irish column), as a means of checking that the Irish translation is complete.
4 If necessary, I'd check to see if cells matched if there was a space required or missing, or a full stop needed that would make the strings match.
5 Then, having made a note of the formulae somewhere (e.g. a comment on some cells), I'd copy all the text, and paste-special the text only, to get rid of the formulae.
6 Write some VBA to find a string starting with something like # $Id: en-GB.com_contact.ini and extract the com_contact.ini from it, select from that cell down to the cell prior to the next occurance of another similar
7 then copy that text, create a new file, paste that text, save as unicode text file format into the relevant folder (same as sheet name probably)
8 then move down to the next occurance and do the same again.
9 Using an external editor, convert from UTF-16 to UTF-8 no BOM.

I think that that is all that I'd do. The first steps are easy and quick, but the last seems to be the most time consuming. But this type of process greatly reduces the risk of introducing human errors into the process of reconstructing the files, since manual copy/paste is eliminated, or greatly reduced. If you have the translations, let me know and I'll do the Excel work. If you know of a way to convert the files as a batch to UFT-8, that would be a help.
Then, I have sent for translation the single occurrences of what need to be translated, split in 4 files (almost 400 lines). I will keep you posted on progress.
That sounds really promising
Maybe, once the front-end is translated, and update with the latest version of Joomla, I will be glad to maintain it for the forthcoming versions.
That would be really great. You're obviously much better able to do that than I am. It'd be great to have it in your hands.
Then, keeping track of multiple instances will still be useful. But is there another way to do it? Any idea out there in the forum?
That's a bit beyond me, I'm afraid. However, I suspect that changes would be minimal and that if duplication did arise, it would not be a big problem.

Best regards,
John D.

rvbgnu
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rvbgnu » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:52 am

Thanks for you clear explanations about the spreadsheet. I am not familiar with VBA, and I use OpenOffice.org. But I know that some VBA code could be executed on OOo, so I can work around.
But this type of process greatly reduces the risk of introducing human errors into the process of reconstructing the files, since manual copy/paste is eliminated, or greatly reduced. If you have the translations, let me know and I'll do the Excel work. If you know of a way to convert the files as a batch to UFT-8, that would be a help.
I do agree. And you now already how to do it, so i will not loose time to reproduce it: I will send you the translations, and I will search a way to convert them to UTF-8 No Bom.
Then, keeping track of multiple instances will still be useful. But is there another way to do it? Any idea out there in the forum?
That's a bit beyond me, I'm afraid. However, I suspect that changes would be minimal and that if duplication did arise, it would not be a big problem.
Yes, I think the same, but I tried to push a bit the ambition/perfection.
We should finish the way you started. We will have a v 1.5.2 ready, then I will diff the .ini files, so we can see changes and complete them. And the release will happen! There you go 8)
Finally we could continue with the admin files, and the installation ones. I am not quite sure about the help files and the sample data for templates :-[ Anyway, we keep going!

What do you think?

Do you still have some contacts to proofread at the end of the process?

All the Best,
Hervé

rvbgnu
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rvbgnu » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:28 pm

infograf768 wrote:Please read Joomla Translation Policy
and look at Typical file headers
http://community.joomla.org/translation ... aders.html
Hi Jean-Marie,

Thanks for pointing my reading in the right direction.
Once we have the v1.5.2 .ini files ready, which versions can be valuable to have the Irish translation (in addition to the last one, of course)? 1.5.9? 1.5.10?

I should read more the forum related to translation, but there is too many posts for the time I can spend for Joomla volunteer work!! So sorry to ask a practical question: Where do I upload the files for the Joomla Translation Coordination Team?

Best Regards,
Hervé

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:28 pm

1.5.15 is the only necessary version to prepare.
If you do not use the Translation Manager component (it would automatically make the files UTF8), you can use a good utf8-aware text editor.
Notepad++ on Windows, TextWrangler of BBEdit on Macintosh.

I suggest you download one of the full packs available here to see how to prepare them.
for example this one:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/download/frsre ... 5.15v1.zip

Then please send me the pack by mail or pm for me to check.
Decide who is going to be your Irish Translation Team coordinator and we will go from there.

You will also have to prepare the 2 files for installation in order to include Irish in the next 1.5.16 release.

Thanks for all your work.

batmanjd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by batmanjd » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:37 am

rvbgnu wrote: Finally we could continue with the admin files, and the installation ones. I am not quite sure about the help files and the sample data for templates :-[ Anyway, we keep going!
We would have to have all the files translated (root, admin, install), and provide a complete package, before submitting it.

I'm really encouraged with what you're doing.

All the best,

John D.

rvbgnu
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rvbgnu » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:37 pm

infograf768 wrote:1.5.15 is the only necessary version to prepare.
If you do not use the Translation Manager component (it would automatically make the files UTF8), you can use a good utf8-aware text editor.
I use the Translation Manager on a sample website, like you suggest lately (URL on PM). It is working great! And I use Eclipse with my own SVN and Trac server so I am ok with UFT8.
I suggest you download one of the full packs available here to see how to prepare them.
for example this one:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/download/frsre ... 5.15v1.zip
I will diff v1.5.15 and 1.5.2 to complete the package. And we hope to have all the translation done for 1.5.16
Thanks for all your work.
Thanks to you for your involvement with Joomla! By the way, thanks to all the Joomla! teams. That a brillant CMS (and more) !!

rvbgnu
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rvbgnu » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:12 pm

batmanjd wrote:We would have to have all the files translated (root, admin, install), and provide a complete package, before submitting it.
I'm really encouraged with what you're doing.
I am really looking forward to complete the full package now! It is very exciting.

And I think to have a look next week at duplicate occurrences in all admin install and root files. I saw that about 50 lines could be updated already, maybe more, and some of them are 1 or 2 words, so it can learn a bit more of Irish. I will use my dictionary and translate.google.com, which include now Irish!
I keep you posted about the translation batches.

Have a nice week-end.
All the Best,
Hervé

rvbgnu
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rvbgnu » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:52 pm

Hi all,

We have received some good news a couple of days ago. An Irish company is working for a client, they are willing to do the translations into Irish and give it back to the community.
That is great news, and will help us to complete this project maybe sooner than expected.

Thanks Christopher to have taken the time to contact us. We are looking forward to see this Joomla! website completed in Irish. Let us take this occasion to also thank your client, and to explain/refresh some of our principles.

If you are interested in Free Softwares (Free as in Freedom, not in free beer), please take the time to read the Joomla! Project Translation and Localization Policy:

For the one who maybe not really interested/aware about Free Softwares, here is some important information you must know:
- this is a volunteer work
- the translation files generated from your work will be released under the GNU GPL v2 or later and be distributed at no cost to end users and without requiring registration
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html
- you may provide the given and family names of the persons involved, to be added to the credits list of the project
- you will not be asked to sign any contract or agreement ; if you do not agree with the goal of this project, the licensing terms or what so ever, please do not enter this team work!

Please, keep us posted of any progress or problem.
Thanks again for your help, Christopher. And use this forum to let the community know more about this project, if you want.

All the Best,
Hervé

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:33 am

:)

rvbgnu
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rvbgnu » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:23 pm

Some progress made!
I sent the files to Christopher, according to plan.

The translation is 36% complete now, according to the Translation Manager extension, and about 40% according to a previous calculation. The files are updated to v1.5.15 now, and available here on request.

I am now using them for a local film club web site (currently being updated for the next season), and I will add an English version. I will maybe have some new translations of out it, and I will update the files then. If you have some new strings translated, please let me know so I can keep the files up-to-date for the community (but they will not be in the JoomlaCode repository before full completion)
http://www.clubscannan.ie/

Happy New Year to the whole Joomla! Community!
Bliain nua faoi mhaise dhaoibh!

batmanjd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by batmanjd » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Hervé,

It's great to see you leading the team and moving the translation towards completion. Well done.

Athbhliain faoi mhaise duit

John Duffy

Return to “Translations”