Coorporate clients and multilanguage

How to support more than one language on your site.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
orlandodub
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Coorporate clients and multilanguage

Post by orlandodub » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:14 am

So far I have over 10 corporate clients that use Mambo together with MambelFish for multilanguage content. Soon the transition to Jommla/Joomfish will be undertaken but here is one of the issues and questions that all my clients have regarding multilanguage.

1. True multilanguage capability includes the option to publish content for any given language withour having to translate it to other languages. Displaying some text if that content item is not translated is not such a good idea, the same as you select section and category you should also be able to select the language for that item. The same goes for modules and menus of course. Clicking on the link for a given language only items, menus and modules for that language would show. The lang=xx at the end of the link is not necessary if we can make the browser store the cookie once the user chooses the language, this way with better SEF going into the core the links would be even more effective for spiders.

I really appreciate Alex effort in creating and integrating Joomfish into the core, without quality multilanguage capability Joomla will never be the CMS it has the potential of being.

Any comments on better multilanguage integration would be appreciated...

rainwebs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Coorporate clients and multilanguage

Post by rainwebs » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:50 am

Good point. But, I don't think that the core team will change whole the engine to get this. If so, they also should think about more flexible page structures and give up this section-category-page thing. A page tree like in Typo3 is the best thing you can get. Maybe Joomla will get this the next years.

Regards Rainer
Freeware for Halloween fans: http://halloween.jigetiser.com
Wallpapers, Screensavers, Posters, Calendars, Jigsaw Puzzles

orlandodub
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Coorporate clients and multilanguage

Post by orlandodub » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:27 pm

I hope we will not have to wait that long... :(

Most of my clients depend on this. So far all I can do is to have 5 installs of Joomla in 5 different folders for each client. Customisation and upgrading becomes very time consuming.

Hopefully the comunity will make multilanguage as one of the top priorities.

Return to “Joom!Fish and Multilingual Sites”