Do you like "Joomla!" as new project name?

Do you like "Joomla!" as new project name?

Yes
40%
No
48%
Don't know
12%

Total votes: 245

farimi
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Do you like "Joomla!" as new project name?

Post by farimi » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:34 am

and yet on other continent of the world. it's is not that funny and it is not that hard to spell, pronounce and remember.
Opensource Community...It does matters!

Keane
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Keane » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:57 am

Well, if you thought about building a business around the CMS formerly known as mambo, you really have to bring out your talent now.

Joomla is a name created in the dark dungeons of Mordor by an Orc (can't be a human) looking for a name so unique yet so silly no one would ever think of registering it. This is probably its biggest merit: uniqueness.

Its also clear indication that this product will be purely techno driven. No one with a two day marketing course will dare to touch such a name. Developers obviously took power, yeeeh!

Salesman: I would recommend you use the new price winning CMS. it suits all your needs
Customer: Sounds great, price winning? What is it?
Salesman: It is Joomla!
Customer: joom...la?
Salesman: yes, Joomla
Customer: hahaha Joomlahahaha..no really, what is it called?
Salesman: nevermind. why don't you look at the others

An instant hurdle for any self-respecting business man. Good to see that any professionalism is really restricted to coding.
"Either you are with us, or you are with the Miro's"

George Bush - Address to a Joint Session of Congress and the American People, September 20, 2001
*modified*

PhilTaylor-Prazgod
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by PhilTaylor-Prazgod » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:18 am

I must say that you are all over reacting!

Its not the name that makes the product its the features, and Joomla has great features.

I, as a commercial developer, have some very high profile customers, Both UK Government and Commercial customers, and other worldwide, non-english speaking customers and I am glad to say that all of them have read my emails, the announcements and some are even active in this forum and NONE OF THEM have been worried ONE BIT about the name!!!

You see its not the name they need - its the features, and my support, and the continuedd skill and determination of the Core Development team - they have trust and faith in all those things!

Also, my new customers of this week, (several contacted BECAUSE they saw the new name) are also happy to use Joomla - all I say to them is Joomla is created/coded by the whole of the Mmabo Core Development team and has all the features of Mambo (currently) and will only get more features, and then they are happy and we move on in our conversation.

Joomla is a great name - and has a great future.

Until a customer actually says to you "I dont want to use Joomla - i dont like the name" then shut up. and If they do say that send them to me and I will talk to them,

Remember - when you sell things you are selling features and benefits of a product and NOT the name of the product!

For example "Phil-a-form" is the name of my commercial forms generator - a funny name for english speaking customers who understand Phil rymes with Fill however not so funny for non-english speakers - yet phil-a-form is my best selling product - why? becuase of its name? no, because of its features and benefits (I will not list them - this is not an advertisment but an example)
Phil Taylor
- https://mySites.guru - Manage Multiple Joomla/WordPress Sites In One Dashboard for Security, Audits, Backups and more....
- https://www.phil-taylor.com/

farimi
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by farimi » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:55 am

Well said.. .

Keane
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Keane » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:19 pm

PhilTaylor-Prazgod wrote: Until a customer actually says to you "I dont want to use Joomla - i dont like the name" then shut up. and If they do say that send them to me and I will talk to them,
Does the issue of brand value and brand connotations ring a bell to you, Phil (not even a tiny bell) ? Why do you think people would pay a premium for a BMW branded car? Now try to exchange BMW with something like Woopla or Poopla. I just bought a Woopla 650i. I don't know.....what ya think?
PhilTaylor-Prazgod wrote: Remember - when you sell things you are selling features and benefits of a product and NOT the name of the product!
This is why some people have more talent for coding I guess.... Me, myself, I never understood this coding stuff. You never got the marketing factors. We should team up :)
PhilTaylor-Prazgod wrote:For example "Phil-a-form" is the name of my commercial forms generator - a funny name for english speaking customers who understand Phil rymes with Fill however not so funny for non-english speakers - yet phil-a-form is my best selling product - why? becuase of its name? no, because of its features and benefits (I will not list them - this is not an advertisment but an example)
No, actually Phil-a-form is quite good. I would have liked Phil-a-cms....

George Bush - Address to a Joint Session of Congress and the American People, September 20, 2001
*modified*

Troubadour
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Troubadour » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:34 pm

Salesman: I would recommend you use the new price winning CMS. it suits all your needs
Customer: Sounds great, price winning? What is it?
Salesman: It is Joomla!
Customer: joom...la?
Salesman: yes, Joomla
Customer: hahaha Joomlahahaha..no really, what is it called?
Salesman: nevermind. why don't you look at the others
Really? You've had this experience? What kind of glad-happy kids are you dealing with?!?

I'm big on technology partnerships with companies that dove-tail nicely with what I do. I work with a marketing firm in Sydney - the guys there have handled the marketing and brand development for some of the biggest name electronics firms in the business and are now going it on their own. Together, we're both working on some development with a broadcast design and postproduction team that's so good Satchi & Satchi ask them for help. I also work with a company in Perth who are redeveloping the communications infrastructure for one of the largest real-estate brands in the company.

I've talked long and hard with these very very serious players about Mambo and Joomla!. Not once has anyone batted an eyelid at the name. All they want to know is what it does and how it's going to save them time and money.

If you ever have anyone laugh at anything you say or do in a meeting that's not a joke; walk away. 'Cause it's obviously you they don't take seriously, not the bloody product.

I'm going to repeat this, 'cause it's important.
If anyone is laughing at this name, they have a maturity problem and need to readjust their attitude not just to this project but to life in general. You've got too much of the macho happening and not enough of the good business sense thing.

This is the name of the project, people. It's not going to change. If you can't sell this amazing product, no matter what the name, then I'm glad. More clients for me.
thinksync  ::  corporate  creative  media  http://www.thinksync.com.au

Matrixguru
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Matrixguru » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:01 pm

Troubadour wrote:

This is the name of the project, people. It's not going to change. If you can't sell this amazing product, no matter what the name, then I'm glad. More clients for me.
;)
hey man thats my secret plan i hope they all leave, more for me too !!  ;D

Vimes
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Vimes » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:04 pm

Troubadour wrote: If you ever have anyone laugh at anything you say or do in a meeting that's not a joke; walk away. 'Cause it's obviously you they don't take seriously, not the bloody product.
I have to admit, this is a really good point.

I initially started out not loving the name Joomla, but then considered the fact that my clients don't give a hoot what the CMS is called, so long as it does the job. Now, neither do I, but I am pleased that the core devs had the sense to choose something that was really really unique.
http://www.jomres.net THE online hotel booking and reservation system for Joomla and Wordpress.

Keane
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Keane » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:40 pm

Troubadour wrote: Satchi & Satchi
See, you make me seriously doubt you now. No one who actually works with them would spell Saatchi and Saatchi wrong. But for the sake of the arguement let's pretend it happens.
Troubadour wrote: If you ever have anyone laugh at anything you say or do in a meeting that's not a joke; walk away. 'Cause it's obviously you they don't take seriously, not the bloody product.
You are right. Of course, your customers or suppliers or any other dependant third party will not laugh... perhaps not even behind your back. I charged it and you take it too litterly. I hope you understand what I mean at core level. If you don't and you really think this is about laughing people then fine.
Troubadour wrote: I'm going to repeat this, 'cause it's important.
If anyone is laughing at this name, they have a maturity problem and need to readjust their attitude not just to this project but to life in general. You've got too much of the macho happening and not enough of the good business sense thing.
I know, people, just replying to this thread since it appears to have been set up for qualifications about the new name. It stinks (just my opinion). Good coding, don't get me wrong :) I will have to get used to the name, unless that foundation comes up with something feasible which I doubt.

Lesson I also learn is non core server OS products (core products: Apache, sendmail etc, non core: Jamblo, PHP Nuke, Xoops) are notoriously unstable in their propositions, not the coding itself per se.
Last edited by Keane on Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

*modified*

Ivo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Ivo » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:02 pm

Mambo was a very strange name for a CMS when I first heard it. Same now for Joomla!...

I don't like it yet, but this new name is not that bad I think. I just need to get used to it...

The baddest part of it is the exclamation mark. Why does it have to be there?
4GM - Fantasy & Rollenspellen
4GM - Fantasy & Roleplaying
http://www.4gm.nl

Serial
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Serial » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:35 pm

At first I didn't like the name but after repeatin it a couple of times it sticks on yah  ;D
"The trick to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources..." Albert Einstein

Cosmin
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Cosmin » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:37 pm

Serial wrote: At first I didn't like the name but after repeatin it a couple of times it sticks on yah  ;D
lol, same here! :)
Member of the Romanian Joomla! Translation Team
Joomla! Romania: http://www.joomla.ro

holycow
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by holycow » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:54 pm

heh

*quote*

I know, people, just replying to this thread since it appears to have been set up for qualifications about the new name. It stinks (just my opinion). Good coding, don't get me wrong.  I will have to get used to the name, unless that foundation comes up with something feasible which I doubt.

*quote*

absolutely. 

why not just call it POOPLA 650i and be done with it, because frankly, thats exactly what this brand is. 

you can try and polish this turd all you want, but at the end of the day, all you will have is a well polished, very very well programmed turd.

Troubadour
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Troubadour » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:23 am

See, you make me seriously doubt you now. No one who actually works with them would spell Saatchi and Saatchi wrong. But for the sake of the arguement let's pretend it happens.
I didn't say I work with Saatchi & Saatchi - I don't. Never have, probably never will.

I'm working with a bunch of guys in Sydney. One of whom is someone who has given them significant assistance in the past and continues to work with them today. If you'd read my post carefully, you'd see that. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to give that impression.

Now, onto the last-but-one piece of drivel:
why not just call it POOPLA 650i and be done with it, because frankly, thats exactly what this brand is. 

you can try and polish this turd all you want, but at the end of the day, all you will have is a well polished, very very well programmed turd.
Uh, no. When referring to something as a "turd" it's usually the quality of the work that you refer to, not the name itself. What we have here (and in saying this I'm only speaking as if the name is undesirable, something I don't agree with.) is a freakin' gold nugget that happens to be called "old turdy".

See. That's how you make a metaphor, my son.

And I say again, that if you can't sell a freakin' gold nugget no matter what the name, then you should get out of the business, 'cause you're obviously not qualified to be marketing to anyone

aljoomla
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by aljoomla » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:16 am

holycow wrote:

This is too much and is quite incredible. You must be on a mission from turdville.
No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible. Voltaire.

Joomlawebber
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Joomlawebber » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:37 am

holycow wrote: just to clarify, my intention was simply to answer the topic:  "Do you like "Joomla!" as new project name?"

fortunately there is no point in arguing about GPL projects - when in doubt fork.

to that end, note my vote:  the brand JOOMLA! will never be used by us. worst brand name ever.

clearly a brand name for a better salesman than i.
In my opinion it´s a great name, and maybe it´s good for you "so called salesmen" to get OUT off your daily rhythm and start thinking renovating marketing instead of the usual talk.

Do you find it harder to "sell" Joomla, than Mambo?

If thats the case, i ain´t buying, because then you´re selling the name, and don´t care about the product.

Don´t get me wrong, i don´t know you, and i´m not a salesman or anything, but instead of "giving" up on the name, you should take the "challenge" ;)
If there is a bird flue, what happened to the egg flue?

ledzep

Post by ledzep » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:09 am

I am not an important web designer, I am not a coder, my clients are respectable - not large corporations However, I sell Joomla! on what it does, how it does it and the time it saves.  Most of my clients would label themselves computer illiterate.  Once they have had about 1 1/2 hours training they feel reasonable competent.

Joomla! is a great product and it sells itself.

Troubadour
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Troubadour » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:14 am

My point exactly! :)

Chris
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Chris » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:18 am

What's in a name? said Shakespeare,
So spoke his boy Romeo
He said a rose would be the same
And smell as sweet by any other name.
I don't agree with Shakespeare
And I'm a real Romeo
I hate to fight with Shakespeare
But there's one thing I know,

Chorus:

There's a ring to the name of Joomla,
A ring ting-a-ling to the name of Joomla.
Other names you may say ring true,
So they do, but they ring for you.
I still cling to the name of Joomla,
There's something to the name of Joomla,
That gives our hearts that ring a Joomla,
Think it sounds so mellow to me and cozy.
Ting-a-ling, ling-a-ling,
There's a ring to the name of Joomla.
There is no failure until you give up.

Chris

Troubadour
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Troubadour » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:20 am

LOL. Very cool

*applause!*

farimi
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by farimi » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:15 am

ledzep wrote: I am not an important web designer, I am not a coder, my clients are respectable - not large corporations However, I sell Joomla! on what it does, how it does it and the time it saves.  Most of my clients would label themselves computer illiterate.  Once they have had about 1 1/2 hours training they feel reasonable competent.

Agreed!

JWvanKwawegen
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by JWvanKwawegen » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:22 am

farimi wrote:
ledzep wrote: I am not an important web designer, I am not a coder, my clients are respectable - not large corporations However, I sell Joomla! on what it does, how it does it and the time it saves.  Most of my clients would label themselves computer illiterate.  Once they have had about 1 1/2 hours training they feel reasonable competent.

Agreed!
Me to. And if you are a salesman and can't sell a great product because of the name......get another job I would say... (or quit working a *iro ;))
There is no place like 127.0.0.0

Keane
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Keane » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:46 pm

Interesting discrepancy between anonymous poll voters and the loudly cheering forum users. I learn so much from this community. The strategy clearly is to overwhelm any criticism with a veil of ignorance and abundant party poppers.

I like the silent majority of this thread :)

*modified*

Yojo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Yojo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:57 pm

Keane wrote: Interesting discrepancy between anonymous poll voters and the loudly cheering forum users. I learn so much from this community. The strategy clearly is to overwhelm any criticism with a veil of ignorance and abundant party poppers. 
I like the silent majority of this thread :)
No drama's - but I am not part of anyone's strategy.

Last time I checked anyway  ;)
'Do what you can, with what you have, where you are..and do it with joy..'

(Roosevelte and me)

wyzemoro
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by wyzemoro » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:41 am

i dont really mind the name.. what really matter is OSM! im looking forward for the release of j! 1.x.x :)
Moslemen M. Macarambon Jr.
http://moslemenjr.macarambon.com
http://www.joomlamoro.com - Joomla Bangsamoro Language, Team Coordinator

bluesaze
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by bluesaze » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:48 am

I thought we had Finished discussing the Name its history right ?????
A. N. Jacob-New
The Tech & Design Blog http://www.Clazh.com

pmills
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pmills » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:41 pm

dorjano wrote: Joomla sounds like an exclamation of a drunk viking...
Actually you're pretty close to the truth.

I was talking to a friend (estonian) on MSN and i told him Mambo had changed its name. When he asked "what to?" i couldn't remember... I never had that problem with the mambo name. When he discovered it was Joomla! he said "you're kidding me right?" he then proceeded to tell me what that meant in estonian.

In Estonian (vikings came from the baltics and scandinavia) a "Joomla" is a place where people go to get very very drunk!

The estonian Mambo community http://www.joomlaest.com/ must be laughing very loudly!
Last edited by pmills on Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keane
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Keane » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:02 pm

pmills wrote: In Estonian (vikings came from the baltics and scandinavia) a "Joomla" is a place where people go to get very very drunk!

The estonian Mambo community http://www.joomlaest.com/ must be laughing very loudly!
Not only the Estonian community, my friend  ;D  I had a creative moment resulting in a new logo and I think we should unanimously decide this will be the new Joomlalalogo:
Last edited by Keane on Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

*modified*

pmills
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pmills » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:07 pm

;D ;D ;D ROFL!!!

Keane
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Keane » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:08 pm

bluesaze wrote: I thought we had Finished discussing the Name its history right ?????
You thought we had finished discussing the new name in a thread discussing the new name...
Do you perhaps go to a shoe store and expect them to sell ice cream?  ::)

*modified*

Return to “Reaction to New Project Name”