Wish to restrict some access to paid members only

For Joomla! 1.0 Coding related discussions.
adesigninteractive
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Wish to restrict some access to paid members only

Post by adesigninteractive » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:36 am

hello. my partner and i feel that our Joomla! web site is ready to become a paid-for service for those members who wish to purchase the "V.I.P." access.

In terms of controlling Joomla to disallow from specified areas those members who haven't purchased a subscription, what must i consider in order to make this transfer to a "paid" zones site? i've already setup a paypal account which will handle our credit card and paypal transactions for the subscription purchase. now i just need to know what to tell Joomla about it.

while experimenting w/ this in Mambo, i restricted certain areas or content to the user level "Special" i believe it was called. That sort of functioned as i wanted, except that if i used that technique, i wouldn't know how to let Joomla know if a member is of the "special" category once he or she have purchased a subscription. in other words, it might work, and it could be that simple if i can figure out how to get joomla to recognize "paid" members, and automatically assign them to a "special" user group.

however, even if i have to do it manually, i suppose it's acceptable for now-- heck considering that i'm asking our members to pay! (the least i could do is process the membership)-- but there will come a time when i might simply be  overwhelmed and not have time to monitor and process the VIP members manually, so ideally it should be an "automatic" function.
am i on the wrong track altogether in thinking about the "special" groups, or is that the only way to restrict access?

suggestions? how would you do it?

thanks!!!
Last edited by adesigninteractive on Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
No images allowed in signature... also please use correct links.

Rules: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,65.0.html

huh? gremlins? correct links?

boesh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Wish to restrict some access to paid members only

Post by boesh » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:47 am

Met vriendelijke groet,
- Harry -

adesigninteractive
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by adesigninteractive » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:00 pm

WOW! thanks VERY MUCH. is this thing free? (i'm in the process of registering... waiting for that member email)

indeed, as they state on the byostech.com site, it is a weakness-- but, i simply thought i didn't know what i was doing!!

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:00 pm

correct ACL support will come soon with an official Joomla-addon and will be integrated into Joomla core from 1.2 onwards.
The solution from byostech will be somewhat incompatible with this core ACL.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

boesh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by boesh » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:22 pm

Hackwar wrote: .... will come soon
Yes, ik know, a lot of things will come soon... Joom!Fish, Joomla 1.1, ACL support. Soon as in within a couple of ....
Met vriendelijke groet,
- Harry -

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:46 pm

boesh wrote:
Hackwar wrote: .... will come soon
Yes, ik know, a lot of things will come soon... Joom!Fish, Joomla 1.1, ACL support. Soon as in within a couple of ....
If everything plays out as planned, you should have an ACL add-on/hack at the end of january.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

adesigninteractive
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by adesigninteractive » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:12 am

cool-- well, now that i installed JACLPlus 1.04, am i going to encounter problems w/ new versions of the core? or will i just uninstall the component?

hey-- now that i have this thing installed and working properly, do you happen to have any suggestions on where to start in terms of integrating a payment system such that registered members can upgrade to a "VIP" paid account, and (in some way, either via registration code dispatch, or automatic recognition of UID) proceed to paid-restricted zones of the site w/out any intervention from me?

is something like that even possible w/out writing my own code? i've never worked w/ e-commerce at all before-- let alone an intangible product-- and one in which the purchased service should ideally be granted to the user immediately (or close to it).

my partner, a banker, has already taken care of creating the LLC and setting up our checking account into which the funds from pay-pal will be deposited, so we've already got that end established-- now it's up to me, the resident "Joomla Admin" to make the magic happen.

i appreciate anything you might have-- URL's for more info, suggested techniques-- anything-- because i really don't know where to begin at this point.

thanks so much!!

adesigninteractive
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by adesigninteractive » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:49 am

anyone who reads this thread my also be interested in how to control payments received by your subscribers--
the Account Expiration Control component, although i haven't tried it yet, is supposedly a fine solution for integrating PayPal into the payment process along w/ the PayPal IPN.

commentary about this web site:
in a way, this is what i was looking for also, yesterday when i first posted this thread. i came back to say that i felt silly for not using the search feature as i should have-- but, then i realized that it's sort of two different issures really-- the point is-- i wanted to testify that i think the SEARCH feature here at the Joomla forum works rather well-- and for those of you who debate using it vs posting first-- please try the search feature as you will likely be satisfied by the results!

i also wanted to be sure to mention how MUCH MORE USEFUL this community is than the one i used to use for mambo-- which i guess was the main forum. everyone here seems to be much more involved, and more friendly-- perhaps that's why i was so lonely over there at mamboo's-- i guess i was one of the last to find out about the impending change on the horizon...

edit: oh, and i also want to mention-- i've learned a TON since i've been coming here. i used to feel very lost and frustrated w/ Mambo-- but ever since Joomla, and my joining this community-- things have gotten better. i'm no longer apprehensive about getting in there and going to work. it used to be very frustrating-- now it's an exciting challenge, and i want to investigate components and all kinds of cool stuff-- it's like i have such an "ooohhhh.... i GET IT NOW!!" moment!
Last edited by adesigninteractive on Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Joomla! 1.0 Coding”