component for accesskeys

cyberseed
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

component for accesskeys

Post by cyberseed » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:08 am

Hi I need a component for adding accesskeys to the main menu or at least the top menu. I am using Joomla! 1.0.12 Stable with the JCE editor. I can add an accesskey to the contnet using the JCE editor but not the main menus. I dont need user defined accesskeys at the moment, just a simple solution. I found this thread but I do not speak German so it did not help.http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,10538.0.htmlAny help yes please!  ???

daestrom
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: component for accesskeys

Post by daestrom » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:28 pm

I've implemented access keys on every website I developed but I don't use them any more as they cause problems with software.  Most users I've worked with when testing for accessibility don't rely on them either.

The WCAG Samurai errata of the WCAG 1.0 led by Joe Clark, also mentions not using keyboard shortcuts and tabindex.

http://www.wcagsamurai.org/

cyberseed
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cyberseed » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:52 pm

I know its a contentious issue with end users being fairly split 50/50, its just the client is requesting them. Of course the customer is always right!! ???

timail
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by timail » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:14 am

If you want to you can use  Accessibility Hack with is integrated into RD508Hack to generate an accessible menu system and to set the possibility to add dfn-tag, tabindex and accesskeys to every menu item in the menu manager. you will find that extension here.

cyberseed
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cyberseed » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:52 am

Thanks timail - I have installed extended menus and despite the bad reviews it works well for what I need to do. Very interested in your projects, if only I spoke German! Ta again

sa247
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by sa247 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:23 pm

we implemented some simple php to do the same thing look at this post...

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... #msg918387

timail
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by timail » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:35 pm

@sa247:

Mhh, I´m not a PHP-guy, sp does your example mean, that accesskeys are generated automaticly by using the position of the item as a number?

For example:

1. List Item = Accesskey 1
2. List Item = Accesskey 2
X. List Item = Acesskey X

?

If so, I think this is probably not the best solution. Think about all the accesskeys beeing used by client software like screenreaders and so on. I think there is a need of having the chance to give any list item any accesskey you like (or what is needed in the special case).

Regards Tim. 

sa247
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by sa247 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:11 pm

we used the code for a dot mobi cell phone site where you accesskeys are limited to the keypad on the cell phone... i have actually requested accesskeys to be implented as standard in 1.5 whether it will or not will be another questions. 
Last edited by sa247 on Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Design and Accessibility - Archived”