So what is Joomla aiming for with compliance issues?

cantthinkofanickname
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

So what is Joomla aiming for with compliance issues?

Post by cantthinkofanickname » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:49 pm

What is the Joomla! code and default Template tested against for it's accessibility? Are there any metrics or requirements defined? I would be nice to see some conformance statement. It would also be nice to see some recommendations from Joomla! for contributing developers so that improvements to their code can take on accessibility (especially important to drive this forward for 1.5).

I am doing a site for a charity in the UK and am concerned about accessibility because the site is mainly for older people. I have to use 1.0.12 (risk of 1.5 not aligning with our timescales) which although far from tableless in the content area may be accessible, I don't know. I need a CMS for our purposes anyway and a long look at all of them showed Joomla! to be "more in the spirit of it all".

My view at this point is to have an intent to provide certain level of accessibility and work later on areas which need some inporvement. I have chosen the Simplicity template based mainly on the fact that it resizes nicely although I need to do some work on contrast. One of our criteria is to touch base with RNIB to check their recommendations (although as said earlier, they should be basing on WAI and other relevant task forces). One problem here is the charge required by some organisations to give an accessibility test!

As far as I understand it in the UK we have to make "reasonable attempts" to be accessible bearing in mind the disability act and where it may apply to websites. Comparing what we may be able to produce with this product I would say we could be at least as good as the existing sites (which should be accessible) like RNIB and Nomensa, etc.

It's difficult to grasp the basics of just putting a good website together. Factoring in accessibility is another layer of complexity and quite a challenge. Some of the possible things I think I need to achieve are:

- no mouse at all (I have met older people with zero ability with the mouse).
- read aloud.
- text contrast and size.
- accessible forms.
- non abrupt changes (although I can't see how to apply this to page changes).
- put in a skip link.

At the moment my approach is keep it really simple, no flash movement, short(ish) sentences, 3 levels of navigation at most, a good sitemap, etc. I'm hoping I can find enough modules to meet our needs.

I thought I'd just air my concerns and intentions to see what others may advise, or whatever. Apologies if it's a bit of a ramble but that reflects my own internal confusion about it all!

Thanks.
Thanks for your time.

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: So what is Joomla aiming for with compliance issues?

Post by Jenny » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:03 pm

Split this post off as it is a discussion all of its own.
Co-author of the Official Joomla! Book http://officialjoomlabook.com
Marpo Multimedia http://marpomultimedia.com

jmc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jmc » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:43 pm

To be fair...
Getting Joomla to validate XHTML and CSS through the W3C Markup service and Section 508 through Cynthia isn't too onerous a task, depending on the template you choose to implement. A bit time consuming, to be sure (my... uhh... "hobby" at the minute is validating a few oldie-but-goldie templates  :)), but not a killer. That's why I would recommend creating your own template, time and skills permitting  ;)
WAI, on the other hand, is a complete bummer for anyone who isn't to some extent "adept" with php (and that ain't particularly me!). Even Joomla! itself doesn't output valid code for WAI without some core file hacks. Or, at the very least, doing some stuff "the long way 'round" (e.g. inserting an image into an article - "Lemme hear ya say HSPACE! Yeah!" ). And then you've got to factor in the wide range of 3PD stuff that's available - and probably essential for your site - a lot of which does not even generate valid XHTML "out-of-the-box".
So, yeah... it can be a struggle, but for me - it's worth it. Oh, and as for
at least as good as the existing sites (which should be accessible) like RNIB
Their site doesn't validate WAI. Which just goes to prove what I've thought for a long time, now. The "Validation Grail" is a bit like a penalty shoot-out. Take your eye off the ball for a split second and you've just kicked a divot into the net.
John Mc
BTW - Check out A8E Joomla - an "Accessible Joomla!" package. May get you off to a flying start!
When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed...

cantthinkofanickname
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by cantthinkofanickname » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:19 pm

MMMedia wrote: Split this post off as it is a discussion all of its own.
Is that an instruction for me or have you done something? I would like to progress my aims and quite happy to contribute.
Thanks for your time.

jmc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jmc » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:24 pm

She means she's already done it!  :D
John Mc
When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed...

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:25 pm

jmc wrote: She means she's already done it!  :D
John Mc
Yep... sorry I wasn't clear.  I split this post off as it was a topic all of it's own. :)
Co-author of the Official Joomla! Book http://officialjoomlabook.com
Marpo Multimedia http://marpomultimedia.com

iainshaw
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by iainshaw » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:25 pm

no she's done it.  Just putting the thread into a place where it's going to get the proper consideration and keeping the questions clear

:)
http://www.brilliantliving.co.uk - Smart Home technology and lighting design powered by Joomla!

Return to “Design and Accessibility - Archived”