Croeso/Welcome

Geraint
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Croeso/Welcome

Post by Geraint » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:17 am

Croeso i'r fforwm Gymraeg.  Dyma'r lle i drafod materion i wneud a datblygu a defnyddio Joomla yn y Gymraeg!

Nôd cynnar ydi cael cyfieithiad swyddogol Cymraeg o Joomla.

Geraint

Welcome to the Welsh Forum.  This is where we can discuss the development and use of of Joomla in Welsh.

One early objective is to create an official translation of Joomla in Welsh.

hotnuts21
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Croeso/Welcome

Post by hotnuts21 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:25 am

HI Geraint,

Tell us a little about yourself.

My name is Paul, im a webdeveloper who has been using mambo for a while now and have quite  few welsh clients using it, I am moving over to Joomla with all my new sites. Im based in Aberystwyth and did the Welsh translation which can be found on the old mamboforge. Although I dont speak Welsh, I have a few contacts who do and beg borrow and steal to get it translated :)

rgds
Paul McCann

Geraint
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Geraint » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:29 pm

Hi Paul

I am a web and online application developer based in Rhuthun.  I got into Mambo/Joomla relatively recently whilst developing a bilingual website for my daughter's school - www.ysgolclocaenog.org.uk.  The site is only just up and running so there's not much content yet (which will be the responsibility or parents and teachers).  I aimed for everything on the site to be bilingual capable, right down to forum messages.  To get the breadth of functionality and performance I need has required a lot of delving into the source code and enhancing existing modules/components to improve performance and multi-lingual support.  I came to Mambo from ezPublish which has far more comprehensive multilingual support and far more powerful but is painfully slow and not scalable in a shared hosting setup.  I also tried Drupal but found the multilingual support non-intuitive and encountered some bizarre security holes in their caching mechanisms.

My aim is to capitalise on this breadth of functionality and performance I have achieved with the school website to offer a bilingual website development and management service.

Prior to PHP I have developed in C#, Java, Perl, Javascript, C++, Pascal, SAS, APL2, PL1, Fortran 77, Basic  etc - this leaves Python as the main gap in my experience I guess.  I developed Vizimarks (www.vizimarks.com) - a visual bookmarking system, but that wasn't as successful as I'd hoped hence my move to more general web development.

Geraint

p.s. I didn't spot your welsh translation on Mamboforge at first and so had already started my own translation - subsequently I have merged your translation with my own which was for version 4.5.2.3, and made a few changes to make it all consistent.  I'll package it up and attach it to a post here in the next few days.  If you don't speak Welsh did you have to pay for a translation or did you owe a pal lots of pints!?!

hotnuts21
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hotnuts21 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:29 pm

I had a client who is quite large(read local authority, although i cant say who) and had their own inhouse language dept translate a list of terms I gave them.

I was planning to pay for the next translation, but no need to now :)

I believe mambelfish is being integrated into Joomla which will be great for us! All the sites I build for clients have to be bilingual, but most in reality are not. Im also needing to translate another programme soon.

Paul.

cmhwebster
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cmhwebster » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:20 am

Sut mae!

Dw i'n chwilio hefyd am fersiwn cymraeg o'r ffeil-iaith i Mambo 4.5.2.3 (neu Joomla - does dim lot o wahaniaeth, iawn?).  Diolch i bawb sy'n gallu'n' helpu fi!

A phob lwc gyda'r fforwm newydd!

Chris

Hi there!

I'm also looking for a complete Welsh version of the Mambo language file for Mambo 4.5.2.3 (or Joomla - not much different is there?). So many thanks to anybody who can help with this, and good luck with the forum.

Oh yes, and apologies for my dismal Welsh, but it's the only practice I get!

Chris

Geraint
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Geraint » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:26 pm

Dyma beth sydd gennai ar hyn o bryd.  Yn seiliedig i ran go fawr ar waith Paul McCann.

Mae rhannau o'r cyfieithiad yn dal i fod ar goll e.e. yn y broses gofrestru, a dwi ddim yn hapus gyda ychydig or cyfieithiad (dwi wedi newid rhai pethau fel "logio i mewn" a "printio" a dwi'n gobethio newid mwy mewn amser).  Bydd unrhyw awgrymiadau a cymorth yn cael eu derbyn dyga diolgarwch!

Yn amlwg mae angen cyfieithu components ychwanegol yn ogystal i gael gwefan dwyieithog cywir.

Geraint
-------------
I attach my a Welsh translation that is almost complete for the core of 4.5.2. Contributions and suggestions welcome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vimes
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Vimes » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:37 pm

Afternoon folks.

I'm Vince from way down south in Pembrokeshire. I dev. Jomres, appropriately enough a hotel management app.

Thought I'd drop in and introduce myself. Languages were never my strongpoint in school and after switching from Welsh to French during my options I still can't speak a word of either.

BTW, my county's sunnier than yours!
http://www.jomres.net THE online hotel booking and reservation system for Joomla and Wordpress.

SarahH
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SarahH » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:47 am

Hello all,

I short introduction. I'm Sarah from Cardigan. I've been working with Mambo 4.5.3 for about 5 days now and I must admid the learning curve was quite steep but I'm getting to know it (and really like it). Currently working on a sit which requires bilingual support English and Welsh so I'm sure I have plenty to ask!!

Sarah

dunkin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dunkin » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:21 am

;)
Last edited by dunkin on Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

draconid
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by draconid » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:18 pm

Just want to introduce myself.

I'm using Mambo/Joomla (haven't quite decided which yet) to re-do my company's website.  We're a Welsh company and our current website is roughly translated.  I'm not a Welsh speaker myself (although I'm learning), but have the support of several Welsh speakers (and have permission to get translations paid for for this project).  I'll be testing the translation that someone has kindly put on this forum (sorry, can't remember names and can't see the posts right now).  I'll also be having the Events Calendar component translated, and maybe some others.

Has anyone had experience of mambelfish/joomlafish.  I tried the latest version on mambo but (due to my version of php, I think) translations didn't work, plus I had problems with caching the language of the page.  I'm going to test this again on my personal joomla site, with the hope that I can get joomlafish working, as I'd rather not have to run two seperate sites, which is the current plan!

Geraint
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Geraint » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:51 am

Croeso draconid

I would recommend Joomla (mainly because that where the multilingual development effort is active at present). 

I've already translated most of the Events component (and am working on the next version for Joomla)  :).

What problems are you having with mambelfish and joomla?  You should probably answer that in a new thread on the Multilingual Sites forum (http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/board,123.0.html).

Geraint

draconid
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by draconid » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:30 pm

Hi!

I am definitely going with Joomla, having got mambelfish working fine in it (after many problems due to PHP 4.4.0 - fortunately Google saved the day)!  I was aware that multilingual support would be there for the next main version, so for contingency I wanted to use it!

Any chance can have the translation of the Events component?  I've booked my Welsh speaking colleagues in to help translate it next Thursday, but anything that can save us some time would be helpful!  We've also got docman to look at (which I will, of course, feed back to anyone who needs it).

With component translations, what's the best way to let others know about them - here where there are Welsh people who may need them, or on the component forums?  Also, are there any instructions for writing mambelfish xml files (the ones that allow new components to be seen by mambelfish) if I want to use a component that doesn't already have that available?

Geraint
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Geraint » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:46 pm

Take a look at

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... l#msg76244

the frontend zip includes my translation.  Its up to you whether you try the patches described there but they (or something like them will be needed to allow translation from the front end).

I was going to tackle docman (but haven't yet) and have done a little work on joomlaboard.

Component translations could be attached to messages in this forum and will be gratefully received.  In the longer term it may be worth creating a Cymraeg translation project on developer.joomla.org.

In terms of xml files for mambelfish - the one provided pretty much covers the translation capabilities of mambelfish.  I've put togeher some mods which greatly extend this capability (which I am working at getting into an early release of joomfis) - take a look at http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,8785.0.html.

Pob hwyl

Geraint

draconid
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by draconid » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:54 pm

Many thanks for this.  I now have the calendar working.  I'll be starting on docman tomorrow!

I then have to translate SMF, which is going to be a big one!  I'm so glad I have a few welsh speaking colleagues plus translators on hand.  Otherwise this would be a major headache!

FinnN
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by FinnN » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:10 am

Hello there from the rainy North! I work for a college and we started using Mambo w/Docman for our staff site back in September sometime. Just changed over to Joomla which is looking pretty good so far. Currently we have two separate installations, one in English and one in Welsh (mostly based on the mambo Welsh template - thanks for that btw!).

Like a few of the others here my Welsh is fairly poor, although I can understand it pretty well now. Fortunately I have access to a translator, so if there's any interest in maybe sharing out some translation work for Joomla or Docman please let me know.

Have fun
Finn

bing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bing » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:40 pm

Is the old mambo welsh language file compatable with the new joomfish 1.7 component
is joomfish compatable with joomla 1.0.7
i am having a couple of problems and getting this error
Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in ..../modules/mod_jflanguageselection.php on line 52

Geraint
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Geraint » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:30 pm

Mae ne ateb yma (there's an answer here) http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,47484.0.html

Dyle'r hen ffeil weithio ar y cyfan (the old mambo file will work on the whole).

bing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bing » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:52 pm

thankyou
everything working great
thanks
Alan

grudgeuk
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by grudgeuk » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:31 pm

Hi,

I am from Rhuthun too, well just outside PentreCelyn.

Learning welsh at the moment, but wife is fluent.

Knocking up a site at the moment for the area, so keep you eyes peeled.

Rob

llywelyn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by llywelyn » Tue May 09, 2006 9:42 am

Helo,

Newydd ddod ar draws y fforwm hwn. Yn gymharol newydd i Mambo a Joomla, a dealltwriaeth elfennol o php ayb. Rwy wedi cyfieithu rhaglenni gwe cod agored eraill i'r Gymraeg cyn hyn, yn arbennig Coppermine Photo Gallery, (http://www.dyffrynaeron.com/cpg132/cymraeg.php),  Calendr Datenator, (http://indom.sourceforge.net/),  a rhaglen wyddbwyll ar y we o'r enw compwebchess (http://www.gwyddbwyll.com). Wrthi'n gweithio ar gyfeiithiad o simpleforum ar gyfer mambo/joomla.

Edrych ymlaen i fedru cyfrannu at brosiect joomla a chyfieithu pethau eraill.

Owen  :D
http://www.gwyddbwyll.com - chwarae dy chwarae!

bally
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Help with the next step... The site creation..

Post by bally » Fri May 12, 2006 8:38 am

Hi there,

Now that one has installed the software to one's server..

How do you start building the site liself... Where does one start...

Can you please give me some pointers?

Thank you.

[email protected]

.... Go on holiday in Florida.

http://www.vacationrentalsblueridge.com  & have a time of your life.

Vimes
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Vimes » Fri May 12, 2006 5:16 pm

Check out this link: Absolute Beginners Guide to Joomla!

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,47524.0.html
http://www.jomres.net THE online hotel booking and reservation system for Joomla and Wordpress.

garmon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by garmon » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:11 pm

Helo!
Garmon o Aberystwyth sy 'ma
dwi'm yn ddatblygwr proffesiynol (dwi dal yn yr ysgol) ond dwi methu ffeindio'r ffeil cyfieithiad Cymraeg.
os y galle rhywun roi y ffeil naill ai ar y fforwm neu ei anfon yn uniongyrchyol i'm hebost, diolch yn fawr.

Hello!
I'm GArmon from Aberyswyth
i'm not a proffesional developer yet(i'm still in school), but i can't find the welsh translation file.
if someone could either post the file on the forum or send it to my email i'd be very grateful.

Diolch
Thanks

Geraint
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Geraint » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:01 pm

Garmon

Mae'r cyfieithaid Cymraeg i'w gael yn uwch yn y drafodaeth yma (cymraeg.zip).  Dydi'r cyfieithiad ddim yn hollol gyflawn ond mae'n lle da i ddechrau.

Geraint

bally
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bally » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:03 pm

Hi there,

Thanks a million for your reply..... I can't read or understand Welsh..... but thanks anyway..

Nazir

http://www.acebookssite.com if you like reading.

or check out http://www.meaningofnamessite.com

Aled
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Aled » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:10 am

Helo pawb!

Tro cyntaf i fi defnyddio y fforwm ar joomla.org. Rwy'n dod o dde Cymru (Cwmtawe = Abertawe). Fi'di bod yn chwarae gyda Joomla am tri neu pedair fis nawr.

Da Iawn gydar cyfiethi Geraint a gydar Gwefan am yr ysgol.

If any of you get a chance could you check out  to tell me if the flash rotater works ok in your browser.

Nos da.
Last edited by Aled on Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for Hosting? http://www.ask4hosting.co.uk Joomla Package
10% Discount When You Quote joomf07
http://www.ask4hosting.co.uk

jonhurlock
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by jonhurlock » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:43 am

Hey all,

My names Jon i live in Swansea, im welsh by birth and currently live and study here at (University Wales Swansea), however have not lived in Wales through out my life as my parents have lived abroad, so dont speak welsh  :( . Anyway i just thought i would introduce my self.

Ive created the websites for the following people / organisations

Xtreme Radio Swansea University's Student Union Radio Website

Swansea MedSin a branch of MedSin

and hopefully will be looking to do some more...  :D

[quote=" Aled"]If any of you get a chance could you check out http://www.amberschoolofmotoring.com/site to tell me if the flash rotater works ok in your browser.[/quote]

It works fine  :D nice to see the site maturing!  :D

Jon
Last edited by jonhurlock on Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geraint
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Geraint » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:42 am

Aled wrote:
If any of you get a chance could you check out http://www.amberschoolofmotoring.com/site to tell me if the flash rotater works ok in your browser.
Aled -

Dydi'r flash ddim yn ymddangos o gwbwl en Firefox (Flash 8.0...) nag yn Internet Explorer 7.0 Beta 3 a dim ond Flash 7 sydd ar gael i Konquerer yn Linux.

Geraint

Sarahj007
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Sarahj007 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:04 am

Hi Geraint

Its a newbie question I'm afraid, I am from Newtown in powys and currently working with Joomla 1.0.11, i have installed Joomfish and would like to translate my site to be bi-lingual welsh/english, i have read your posts about mambo and not sure where to go from here, if you can help

Thanks

Sarah :)

roryt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by roryt » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:19 pm

Hi Folks

Rory Thomas, Web Developer based in Rhyl but with a srong cockney accent. I've been developing sites with Joomla for about a year but have yet to do one in Welsh but I guess its only a matter of time! I dont speak a word but my Grandfather was born in Pen Y Groes so I think I'm going to have to maske the attempt.

RoryT

Return to “Welsh Forum”