Joomla Questions

Gathering of Joomla! developers and users in the non-profit community.
rudyj
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla Questions

Post by rudyj » Mon May 28, 2007 4:54 pm

Hello everyone I apologize for the newbie questions.

First of all I am a new Director of Information Systems for my nonprofit organization and I plan on moving all of our websites to Joomla.  I have chosen Joomla because it seems to be a solid CMS with a large user community with many components.

1.  Our current website is very functional but its appearance needs to be approved.  Working with our development department I asked them for a list of websites that they liked.  The website that they really liked is bu.edu.  So my question is there a Joomla template similar to bu.edu.  If not is it possible to create a template with a similar layout.

They really like the homepage of the site so the rest of the website does not have to be as flashy.  But the main flash menu is a must.

2.  Is Joomla Bobbi compliant.

3.  I know their are components but how well does Joomla handle multiple sites?  We have 11 501.3c programs which some will require their own site.

4.  Joomla on Windows or Linux. 

5.  Anything gotchas or ideas before proceeding with a new Joomla installation.

Thank you for your help

Rudy Jaros

JoomlaChurch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Joomla Questions

Post by JoomlaChurch » Tue May 29, 2007 2:24 am

Wow I am having flashbacks to my days as a consultant to the DoS and DoD... Bobbi compliance will depend on the template that you use as it will be the piece that provides the structure. And the structure is where a site passes or fails compliance. I think you will find more often than not that the community here develops site that are accessible and compliant. It is just good practice.

As for the Bu.edu site and your team. there are a number of template sites that you could go to and find sites that could easily change the homepage to look like boston u's site. My trouble lies with your desire to mimic the flash menu. From what I remember flash would throw a red flag in Bobbi. It is not accessible.

Multiple site would currently be done by having different instances of joomla in the same hosting account.

Joomla is best on linux.

No gotchas. It is pretty straight forward. The fun begins after you get the CMS installed.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

M.

http://www.joomlachurch.org

Return to “Non-Profit Organizations and Joomla!”