Custom Title Tag Hack for every page

Your code modifications and patches you want to share with others.
eyezberg
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Custom Title Tag Hack for every page

Post by eyezberg » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:44 pm

thanks slim' ;)
(OT: are you using the extended commercial SEF patch? is it really better than the free one?)
Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing.
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. AE
http://joomla15.[URL banned].com for J! 1.5 screenshots
http://www.eyezberg.com

slimtreeshadow
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by slimtreeshadow » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:32 pm

I'm not sure how much better it is - but it was cheap and does a few cool things. Custom meta tags for one - so I could add a verify-1 tag for Google Sitemaps. There are a few other little things too - nothing a good coder can't do but I'm not coder.

I will say that if they add customizable title tags for menu items, categories, etc that it would be a great patch.

I'm still uneasy about using the title hack here w/ 1.011 since SEF is running too. They don't play nice together. So it's pluses and minuses of both I guess
Adam Audette, Moderator & Publisher

LED Digest | Marketing Discussion List
http://www.led-digest.com/
since 1997

arikzara
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

JPromoter - Joomla SEO Great Tool

Post by arikzara » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:41 pm

I passed through this post on my research for a way to find a way to find a way to optimize my website. The hack here was much too complicated for me to implement. Too many files to changes etc, got me freaked! I am not a computer technical person, so it was above my abilites. I found another way to fix it, I though it would be good to post it here for people to know. Let me tell you the story.

I am a search engine optimizer. I recently built my first joomla website and was heading to perform some optimization work. Being so amazed how cool and advanced joomla is, I was pretty convinced all through that joomla is SEO friendly. However, when I noticed that I cannot control and modify my pages'   field, on every page separately, I got so freaked! I just couldn't believe how this is possible. I mean, is there something more important than controlling your meta and title fields for efficient SEO? How do all these joomla websites do their marketing?

I checked on Joomla's extension directory and found almost nothing there. I then bought one of the components listed there, which was no good at all. I went deepr in the list, to those non-reviewed components that no one gets to. To make the story short, at the end of the list I found a component, with no stars, 65$, from a guy working in Kyrgyzstan! I checked a little on the map, to see where it is. Seems to me be a beautiful place! Anyway, I didn't have much choices and his site looked pretty good. From the website description the component seemed excellent. The guy (Sergey) has there his MSN and Skype account details. I contacted him and he promised to help me if I have any problem with the installation / component.

So, I bought it! I am so so so so so relieved and happy. My god, it is EXCELLENT. Dollars put exactly in the right place. It's been a few days that I am doing my optimization, being able to modify the meta fields and title field of every page on my website (separately)!

And even more important - the developer of this component, Sergey, is a wonderful guy. I have never seen such level of support, anywhere. He is there for me on the Skype with every issue. He helped me out a lot, and even added some features to the component to my request.

To sum up. Thank you Sergey. This is indeed a great tool! 

PS - almost forgot to let you know of the name of the component... JPromoter - Joomla SEO Great Tool http://joomlaequipment.com/  ;)
Last edited by arikzara on Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Truth is exact correspondence with reality.” (Paramahansa Yogananda).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bar & Bat Mitzvah Planning at http://www.DoctorSimcha.com

eyezberg
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by eyezberg » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:09 pm

Too bad there's no solution for this hack to work with the free sef patch & sef.

JPromoter does look good, you can even test the backend on the demo site,
but the price is more than I'm willing to invest to test this on J! 1.0.x ..
Last edited by eyezberg on Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing.
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. AE
http://joomla15.[URL banned].com for J! 1.5 screenshots
http://www.eyezberg.com

slimtreeshadow
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by slimtreeshadow » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:37 pm

To update this thread - Joomlatwork have released an upgrade for the SEF paid version. It allows title tags to be set in meta data completely separately from the content titles. Nice addition and it's still under 10 bucks for the component.

We still don't have control over the meta data for categories or sections, but that's hopefully coming in 1.5
Adam Audette, Moderator & Publisher

LED Digest | Marketing Discussion List
http://www.led-digest.com/
since 1997

cgourlay
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by cgourlay » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:23 am

I just took this a step further and modified it so I could assign the page title from a non-Joomla database table. I'm using mosmodule to help move my old site to Joomla! It's a travel site with a bunch of hotels kept in a database. When I show the hotel details, I want the page title to be the name of the hotel, which can't be done using the parameters of this hack. Maybe somebody can improve this and bring it up to Joomla standards, but here it is:

In Joomla.php

function setPageTitle( $title=null, $params=null ) {
$hotel = mosGetParam( $_REQUEST, 'hotel', "" );
if ( $hotel ) {
//echo "hotel";
$sq="select * from hotels where hotel_id='$hotel'";
          $rs=mysql_query($sq);
          $hoteldata = mysql_fetch_array($rs);
          echo "$hoteldata[name]";
$params = new mosParameters(stripslashes($hoteldata[name]));
$this->_head['title'] = $hoteldata[name];
}
elseif
(@$GLOBALS['mosConfig_pagetitles']) {
if ($params) {
$custom_title = $params->def( 'title_cust', '' );
} else {
global $database, $mainframe, $Itemid, $hotel;
$params = new stdClass();

if ( $Itemid ) {
$menu = new mosMenu( $database );
$menu->load( $Itemid );
$params = new mosParameters( $menu->params );
} else {
$menu = "";
$params = new mosParameters( '' );
}
$custom_title = $params->def( 'title_cust', '' );
}
$title = $custom_title ? $custom_title : $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'] . ' - '. $title;
$title = trim( htmlspecialchars( $title ) );
$this->_head['title'] = $title ? $title : $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'];
}
}

php4ever
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by php4ever » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:54 pm

testing for 1.0.12 today

Jared
Smart people bridge with Joomla, not integrate
http://www.jaredritchey.com

dvdbdgr
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dvdbdgr » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:47 pm

This is a great hack - works like a charm.  Thanks!

dalmatino
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dalmatino » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:15 pm

Thanx for this magnificent hack!!! Is there a way to do dhis for sections/categories?

apc
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by apc » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:44 pm

Excellent hack, but is there such an issue having the page title and header Title tag the same as Joomla with dynamic titles switched on does now? Matching page and header title is good SEO surely?

moontear
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by moontear » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:59 pm

I'm having problems... Currently I am using this code:

Code: Select all

$title = $custom_title ? $custom_title  . ' - ' . $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'] : $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'] . ' - '. $title;
Wrong behavior:
On a component menu item with a custom title set, I only get "$customtitle" as titlebar.
At a normal site (Home in particular) with normal "Page title" set to home, I only get "$sitename - "

The behaviour I want to achieve is the following for ALL sites (with or without customtitle):
"$sitename - $pagetitle" (pagetitle refers to either normal page title or custom title, whichever is there)

Hope somebody can help, thanks
moon

no_name23
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by no_name23 » Tue May 29, 2007 11:42 am

hi,
i have followed all steps and didnt work for me, i have joomla 1.0.12 and i have install this components opensef, joomseo, jreview, imbed php. anyone has any idea?

Wounded Knee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Wounded Knee » Thu May 31, 2007 10:00 pm

For main page (frontpage) and sections/categories:

In "administrator/components/com_frontpage/frontpage.xml"
Add:

<param name="title_cust" type="text" size="20" default="" label="Custom Title Tag" description="A custom Title tag to be applied to the page, this allows individual page titling" />
In:
"administrator/components/com_menus/content_blog_category"
"administrator/components/com_menus/content_blog_section"
"administrator/components/com_menus/content_category"
"administrator/components/com_menus/content_section"
edit their *..xml files too.
Add:

<param name="title_cust" type="text" size="20" default="" label="Custom Title Tag" description="A custom Title tag to be applied to the page, this allows individual page titling" />
In: "components/com_content/content.php"
find and replace all:

$mainframe->SetPageTitle( $menu->name );
by

$mypagetitle = $params->get ('title_cust');
$mainframe->SetPageTitle( $mypagetitle );
It works for me.

cheers
Last edited by Wounded Knee on Thu May 31, 2007 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no_name23
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by no_name23 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:09 am

it works now thanks

Rinnert
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Rinnert » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:16 am

php4ever wrote: testing for 1.0.12 today

Jared
does this work for joomla 1.0.12 ?? I really would like to use this hack or is there an other way to edit the pagetitle ?
Submit your templates at Templates Library for free

2-1 web design

jameswatt82
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jameswatt82 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:28 pm

I have followed the Same steps but it did not work for me

i have Joomla 1.0.12 version , even i am not able to see my home page

if i am typing my domain name in browser it shows me blank page but i can view other component pages,

i am not able to see the content pages of my site after following the above steps

Can any one have any ides.. before implementing Joomla Customize Title hack i took Backup

urgent help is required

josey
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: JOOMLA 1.0.11 Custom Title Tags

Post by josey » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:40 pm

php4ever wrote: Here is a zip file I created with all the changes and backups in place. 

Its intended for use by new installs of Joomla 1.0.11, however if you have third party components you will just need to go to those components and add the following line as originally instructed.

I will maintain successive packages to help out with barnett if thats ok, as each release of Joomla becomes available so in the event that Joomla releases 1.0.12 and so on I'll make it as an easy drop in.

Just follow the instructions in the README.TXT file included with the zip. http://www.jaredsdesigns.com/downloads/ ... 1.0.11.zip

~ Jared
POST KEYWORDS: "Joomla 1.0.11 Custom Title, Titles Tags, Dynamic Titles"
PS Good Job "barnett"

php4ever mentioned this above.
Anybody confirm this with J 1.0.13 ?
The files are not posted as said above? Maybe they will be soon?

I pulled down a J1.0.9 site that the hack is working fine with on a live site , Locally I'm have trouble getting it going with J1.0.13 with the same site.

I also tried the 'find and replace' mentioned above in the content.php and nothing? XML files edited, (can see the parameter in the content page)

Cheers

Fletch
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Fletch » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:13 pm

Me too... has this been fixed yet?
moontear wrote: I'm having problems... Currently I am using this code:

Wrong behavior:
On a component menu item with a custom title set, I only get "$customtitle" as titlebar.
At a normal site (Home in particular) with normal "Page title" set to home, I only get "$sitename - "

The behaviour I want to achieve is the following for ALL sites (with or without customtitle):
"$sitename - $pagetitle" (pagetitle refers to either normal page title or custom title, whichever is there)

Hope somebody can help, thanks
moon
This is the code I am using

$title = $custom_title ? $custom_title  . ' - ' . $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'] : $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'] . ' - '. $title;
$title = trim( htmlspecialchars( $title ) );
$this->_head['title'] = $title ? $title : $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'];
Any help appreciated  :)

SORTED...
This is the code I've used

$title = $custom_title ? $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename']  . ' : ' . $custom_title : $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'] .' : '. $title;
Last edited by Fletch on Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fletch
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Fletch » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:44 pm

OH NO  :o

I cannot login at the front end after making these changes. I've double checked all the changes and they all seem to be OK.
Anyone have any ideas  ???

SORTED...

I re-installed all the changed core Joomla files and the frontend login started working again. Never one to be beaten I re-checked all the hacked modified files and uploaded them again and this time everything worked fine... must have been finger trouble  :-[

Great job  :)
Last edited by Fletch on Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drvanitus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by drvanitus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:20 pm

I just wanted to point out that THIS STILL WORKS and I'm a little stunned why something so simple as this would not be included in Joomla! core.  Many thanks to the author of this hack.

I just installed this on Joomla! 1.0.12 and it works like a charm.  I followed exact instructions from the original post, it works, it works too well!! :)
You can see working example at http://balkanmultimedia.com/ - there is no more generic titles, restricted to menu item name. Thanks again!

Note:  If you have SEF PATCH installed, it might not work, so you will have to uninstall that.  The first time I did this hack, I had SEF Patch installed and it did not work.  I did rush through the hacking process, so I might have messed up something.  However, I decided to uninstall SEF Patch and re-do the hack, it works like a charm.  I can't tell you how happy I am with this.  This probably needs to be stickied.
Last edited by drvanitus on Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doorcounty
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by doorcounty » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:43 am

I went through the whole process and everything seemed fine through step 2.  When I finished steps 3 and 4 tonight and attempted to use the new system, I got these messages:

Warning: main(file:///C|/Documents and Settings/Judy Moller/.unlimitedftp/temp/globals.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/doorcoun/public_html/index.php on line 24

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening 'file:///C|/Documents and Settings/Judy Moller/.unlimitedftp/temp/globals.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/doorcoun/public_html/index.php on line 24

Warning: main(file:///C|/Documents and Settings/Judy Moller/.unlimitedftp/temp/configuration.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/doorcoun/public_html/index.php on line 25

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'file:///C|/Documents and Settings/Judy Moller/.unlimitedftp/temp/configuration.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/doorcoun/public_html/index.php on line 25

I went back and un-did steps 3 and 4 but and now still getting this response.  Where did I screw up?

Thanks for the help - this is all pretty new to me.

doorcounty
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by doorcounty » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:06 pm

Made some changes and get this response on my site when  i try to access it:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/doorcoun/public_html/index.php on line 37

GiselaGiardino
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by GiselaGiardino » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:37 am

GREAT JOB DONE!!! Thank you so very much for sharing this. It works perfectly here, and it was right exactly what I needed. Gracias!!!

Now trying to make joomfish translate this field too... that would make this hack utter awesome. Any ideas? I´m searching... THX
Gi (aka La Femme Nirodha, aka The Alieness)

GiselaGiardino
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Custom Title Tag Hack - FOR JOOMFISH

Post by GiselaGiardino » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:53 pm

OK, I´m back. I will share the solution I found for making Joomfish translate this Custom Titles, too. I am no database guru :-[ , so apologises for the poor explanation.  ;)

I found via MySQL admin, that in the joomla database, this parameter "title_cust" is saved in the field "Attribs" at the _content table and in the rest of tables where it has been added via de XML, the parameter is saved in the "params" field.

With this information I was able to modify the XML files of the Joofish component: to tell the component which field should be added to the transalation panel.

So as done for the custom title hack, I looked for the xml to modify. They are here:

administrator/components/com_joomfish/contentelements/

Then I made the following addition to content.xml :

<field type="textarea" name="attribs" translate="1">Attributes (inc. title_cust)</field>
Where "Attributes (inc. title_cust)" is the label visible in the translation page. You can customize it to your preference.

And the in the rest of the xml files ( categories.xml, neewsfeed.xml, sections.xml, contact.xml, weblinks.xml, ETCETERAS) I added the line:

<field type="textarea" name="params" translate="1">Attributes (inc. title_cust)</field>
If everything worked fine (otherwise Joomfish won´t load properly and sends an error message), when you choose a file to translate, it should now appear a textarea, where to translate this "params" or "attribs" field. I recommend to copy the original contents to the translation text field and make the only changes necessary to it (in the "title_cust=" value alone).

Hope it helps... It works here. Thanks again. 
Gi (aka La Femme Nirodha, aka The Alieness)

moontear
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by moontear » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:00 pm

Using Joomla 1.0.13.

I just tried the steps explained, but just can't seem to get the Sitename shop up in front of the content items.

Basically I want the format [SITENAME] - [SECTION] - [CATEGORY] - [ITEM].

Nothing special, but the Sitename will just not show up. This also happened when NOT having installed the custom title hack. In the global configuration the appropriate site name is set. Do I have to set it somewhere that it preprends the sitename to all title fields?

cgourlay
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by cgourlay » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:41 pm

moontear wrote: Using Joomla 1.0.13.

I just tried the steps explained, but just can't seem to get the Sitename shop up in front of the content items.

Basically I want the format [SITENAME] - [SECTION] - [CATEGORY] - [ITEM].

Nothing special, but the Sitename will just not show up. This also happened when NOT having installed the custom title hack. In the global configuration the appropriate site name is set. Do I have to set it somewhere that it preprends the sitename to all title fields?
You actually don't want this, for SEO purposes. Your titles should be short, and unique on each page.

bzeke
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bzeke » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:56 pm

I just implemented this and so far everything is working great, except I found one minor problem. When a user tries to change their details, the parameters for users.xml (in administrator/components/com_users) are displayed instead of the typical "Update" button. Any help would is appreciated!

http://www.wholesale-organic.com/store/ ... tails.html

ct81flo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ct81flo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:18 am

This hack, work with alberghi component and sh404sef? thanks

jmarvin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jmarvin » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:14 am

Hello, thanks for a cool hack! It almost works great, but I'm having a problem.

1. In joomla.php, this line:
$this->_head['title'] = $title .' - '. $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'];
...does not generate the site name.

2. If I use the site name in my custom title tag, it doesn't display it. However, if I change the site name or use something else in my custom title, then it works fine.

I've tried several things like changing the case, or adding then stripping underscores, but when I make it match the site name, it won't display.

Does that make any sense?

Something happens after "function setPageTitle" that removes an exact match for the site name.

What I CAN do is manually add the site name to the custom title tag, but make it all lower-case or all upper-case instead.

Does anyone know what can be causing this problem? Thanks for any help.
http://www.LiquidPurple.net - Online Communities (made with Joomla)

guruananthe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by guruananthe » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:28 am

yes its working on my joomla site.nice crack.thanks again
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

Return to “Core Hacks and Patches”