compatability problem with vsftpd?

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
JGZimmerle
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

compatability problem with vsftpd?

Post by JGZimmerle » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:00 am

Hi!

I have just tried to install Joomla 1.5RC1 using the FTP filesystem layer (step 5 of the installation) with the vsftpd. I entered the correct data (wich works with other local FTP clients) and click on the "Verify FTP settings" button. In the browser I get an error-message in response:

Code: Select all

The FTP settings are not valid or your FTP server is not compatible with Joomla. The function "NLST" failed.
I tried the nlist function with other FTP clients on that server and they worked just fine. Here is the log of the server:

Code: Select all

CONNECT: Client "127.0.0.1"
FTP response: Client "127.0.0.1", "220 Welcome to the FTP service."
FTP command: Client "127.0.0.1", "USER example_user"
[example_user] FTP response: Client "127.0.0.1", "331 Please specify the password."
[example_user] FTP command: Client "127.0.0.1", "PASS <password>"
[example_user] OK LOGIN: Client "127.0.0.1"
[example_user] FTP response: Client "127.0.0.1", "230 Login successful."
[example_user] FTP command: Client "127.0.0.1", "PWD"
[example_user] FTP response: Client "127.0.0.1", "257 "/""
[example_user] FTP command: Client "127.0.0.1", "CWD web/de"
[example_user] FTP response: Client "127.0.0.1", "250 Directory successfully changed."
[example_user] FTP command: Client "127.0.0.1", "PASV"
[example_user] FTP response: Client "127.0.0.1", "227 Entering Passive Mode (127,0,0,1,212,53)"
[example_user] FTP command: Client "127.0.0.1", "QUIT"
[example_user] FTP response: Client "127.0.0.1", "221 Goodbye."

According to this log, Joomla never tried the NLST command, so how it can tell that this command does not work is beyond me.
Last edited by JGZimmerle on Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jinx
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: compatability problem with vsftpd?

Post by Jinx » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:42 pm

Robin, can you bring this issue to the attention of Louis and/or Enno ?
Johan Janssens - Joomla Co-Founder, Lead Developer of Joomla 1.5

http://www.joomlatools.com - Joomla extensions that just work

friesengeist
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by friesengeist » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:22 pm

JGZimmerle wrote: According to this log, Joomla never tried the NLST command, so how it can tell that this command does not work is beyond me.
I've seen this before, and I guess we can blame a bug in PHP for that (which could probably be circumvented by using the emulated JFTP client mode in such versions). Which PHP version are you using? Somewhere around 5.0.5?
We may not be able to control the wind, but we can always adjust our sails

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:02 am

The one thing to check since it is changing directories is whether the user name is assigned to a home directory and then you also point to the same directory in the joomla! ftp configuration. So it is looking for /home/home instead of /home.  You have to do one or the other not both.

There are a number of reports of this floating around, but it is usally the same thing.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

stephanePL
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by stephanePL » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:09 pm

On the advice below I re-posted and modified this under the installation section (Admin, you may delete this post if this applies)
Hi there,

This is my first post, very similar to the initial one here.
I freshly installed centOS 5.2 with latest PHP / MySQl phpmyadmin and most other classics (all versions up to date for 09-2008)
When I run the joomla 1.5 installer I fail to get ftp (vsftpd) accepted by the Joomla setup.
I created a special account for joomla (restricted to teh Joomla folder OK) and through ftp client I can access teh joomla directory but joomla installer does not.

Any hint ?

Thanks a lot
Stephane
Last edited by stephanePL on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:12 pm

Stephanie,

Since the comments in this post are almost a year old and refer to a very different version on Joomla, you might want to start a new thread perhaps starting in the installation forum.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”