How to install phpbb3 with joomla

Discuss the integratoin of phpbb and Joomla! here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
tj1182
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How to install phpbb3 with joomla

Post by tj1182 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:42 am

How do I go about doing this? Do I install phpbb3 into the same database? Will my users have to signup for both joomla and phpbb?

Thanks.

deoarshi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: How to install phpbb3 with joomla

Post by deoarshi » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:06 am

yes i also need this information . i want to install phpbb3 with joomla 1.5 but having single login facility . Can anyone help us

bluecubbies4me
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bluecubbies4me » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:26 pm

They are working on an official bridge here http://www.rocketwerx.com/forum/

Currently in RC form

StirCrazy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by StirCrazy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:18 pm

:eek: I have waited YEARS for this! My members hate me for my website where they have to create these multiple logins / PROFILES. They try to post in the forums but someone has their username and then they have to fill out multiple profiles, none recoganizing the other. I have 150,000 opt ins, I have 12,000 profiles on the Forums and 7000 on the profile part.

My heart is racing for the answer to this. :'( It has been what has kept me from creating something people might pay for... :pop I spent everything I had on a site and was handed 4 components, NONE of which recoganizes the other...

AND I DO NOT WANT TO USE OpenID. (Yet) The REAL money is in the profiles and the information (i.e. Geographics etc..)

I just installed Joomla! and PHPBB3, trying to configure it as we speak.. was hoping they had integrated the profiles. I was looking to post the same question, when I ran across yours.

This is where I am at...

Warning: main(./includes/functions_content.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory :-[

Have a great day! 8)

deoarshi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deoarshi » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:38 am

Do you mean that it is not possible to integrate them ...

scare
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by scare » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:04 pm

i got phpbb3 and 1.5 to integrate with the rocketwerx bridge. however, there is no way to visually integrate phpbb3 and joomla 1.5. my goal is to integrate phpbb3 into joomla 1.0x but no one seems to have a simple solution.

geeffland
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by geeffland » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:45 pm

CB Connector (a Community Builder Plugin) allows for the connection of phpbb2, phpbb3, and the next release will also incorporate support for Categories Hierarchy.

Could post more info but most is already posted at cbconnector.com.

Community Builder is available from joomlapolis.com (or the extensions area on joomla.org)

Note: This currently is only for the Joomla! 1.0.x series... future versions will eventually support the Joomla! 1.5.x series as well.

Hope this helps,
Greg
CB Connector Developer (not Community Builder Developer)
Thanks,
Greg

scare
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by scare » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:49 pm

i tried cb and couldn't get it to work with phpbb3.

geeffland
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by geeffland » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:12 am

I assume you are the same 'scare' that posted a question on cbconnector.com this afternoon... shortly afterwards I posted what setting to check in phpbb to get the logins showing when you are logged in...

Here is the link to the thread...
http://cbconnector.com/forums/viewtopic ... b4b1#p1673

What that the issue you were having?

Greg
Thanks,
Greg

giridhari
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by giridhari » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:42 am

ya.. i too need help in this topic

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:20 am

I don't understand why so many people are talking about Joomla 1.5 here, while
it's a forum dedicated to Joomla 1.0x. But I don't see a section dedicated to forum for Joomla 1.5 like before .
If you are interested by visual integration Joomla 1.5 - phpbb3,
I've done a new bridge, just go to usual page.
You can enable it separately from user integration which means that if you don't like the user integration, you can still have visual integration.
Yep this involve hacks, but despite alternatives offer no hacks, I 'll say my bridge offer a better visual integration.

Beata
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Beata » Tue May 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Hello,

1. Thank you for your bridge. Today I followed explanation and did everything, but I am not sure, did I suceeded.

As I understand, the visitors who are registered to Joomla, they are able to login with the same psw to forum? Or not? For a while I don't able...to do it

My joomla is in root directory and phpbb3 in f directory. They use diferent MySQL

As for your explanation:
I don't understand what means unmodded or modded forum?

2. Another question. I use metamoprph template for Joomla and wanted to use the same for forum. I tried to manage but without success. I used to get error with rokbb3 style :
template->_tpl_load_file(): File ./styles/prosilver/template/../../../rokbb3.php does not exist or is empty

How to manage it, I don't find yet.
Now I have style bridgesilver, is it possible to change design with this bridge to style Metamorph 2 )rokbb3)?

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Wed May 13, 2009 12:11 am

@beata
As I understand, the visitors who are registered to Joomla, they are able to login with the same psw to forum? Or not? For a while I don't able...to do it
Regular user login in joomla and use joomla login/password to connect into forum.
There's an exception, when user access in phpbb admin panel, where the paswword/username are the ones stored in phpbb database. But first user login as regular joomla user anyway.
I don't understand what means unmodded or modded forum?
If you go on official phpbb website, they offer lot of customization or additional features., they usually call mods. All these customization /features can be added only by hacking phpbb core files, or by introducing new files.
In short, unmoded, means "unmodified", a phpbb install that works in the standard way, without aditional features or particular customizations (changing phpbb theme or default langage, is NOT considered as a mod).
2. Another question. I use metamoprph template for Joomla and wanted to use the same for forum. I tried to manage but without success. I used to get error with rokbb3 style :
template->_tpl_load_file(): File ./styles/prosilver/template/../../../rokbb3.php does not exist or is empty
Frankly I've never tried this rokbb3 thing, it's first time I hear about it.
I advise you try to make the bridge work first with default theme "bridgesilver" provided with the bridge. Once your are able to make it work, then try the metamorph theme in phpbb with rokbb3 and see what result you get.

Beata
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Beata » Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 am

Thank you for answer,

1. My website is http://www.genealogija.lt/ I signed as new user mustuke, psw mustuke
My forum is http://www.genealogija.lt/f/ I can't sign as mustuke there
Maybe this is a reason that php email function in these days don't work ( I wrote to hosting admin about this problem) - I don't get email for activation of user ???

2. My forum wasn't modified except that metamorph2 style

3. I have bridgesilver style and Finally I got now metamorph2 style (with rokbox3) for forum and choose it as default
http://www.genealogija.lt/f/

Beata
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Beata » Wed May 13, 2009 9:45 am

I found rokbridge there http://www.rocketwerx.com/products/rokbridge/overview, but I did yesterday with yours

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Wed May 13, 2009 12:28 pm

@Beata
if your phpbb user is already registered in phpbb, it should be activated on phpbb side before enabling user integration in my bridge. However , once user integration is enabled, you don't need to activate any new user on phpbb side off course.

According to your joomla url, and phpbb url,
ensure you have these settings in the file joomphpbb_conf2.php:

Code: Select all

$joomUrl="http://www.genealogija.lt"; 
$joomRel="../";
2. My forum wasn't modified except that metamorph2 style
That's ok, but the error you got was relative to rokbb3, which was used by the metamorph2 style . I didn't know if it was because of a misconfiguration of the bridge, or an incompatibility with rokbb3. That's why I asked you perform test first with the theme bridgesilver.
I found rokbridge there http://www.rocketwerx.com/products/rokbridge/overview, but I did yesterday with yours
Yes this solution is well-known. But you can't install all bridge at same time.
So you should test them in a local install, and make a choice.

Beata
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Beata » Wed May 13, 2009 3:22 pm

Hello mehdi,

1. No, my joomphpbb_conf2.php wasn't correct (damaged it in one of last steps, it was left original)

Really
There was confusing for me in your tutorial about folder "joom".
Should I write
http://www.genealogija.lt/f/ or
http://www.genealogija.lt , ??

because my forum is in folder f
Now I corrected to

$joomUrl="http://www.genealogija.lt";
$joomRel="../";

The question: my user mustuke is registered in website (in forum don't)
Should I register it in forum the same or it should work automatically? Now it don't work

2. I changed style now to "bridgesilver". the user mustuke don't work
3. I had one user before bridge, this works for both, website and forum but it was done before your bridge

The question: should user be registered at first where? I see that I got in joomla another administrator like in forum but I can't connect with its psw to Joomla

I write later after some other trial

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Wed May 13, 2009 4:43 pm

@beata
the joomUrl setting is url to joomla , and hence it is http://www.genealogija.lt.
The $joomRel setting is relative path from forum to joomla, and hence if you put forum in subfolder of joomla, it is always ../
The question: my user mustuke is registered in website (in forum don't)
Should I register it in forum the same or it should work automatically? Now it don't work
You will be registered in forum automatically, once you login in joomla and then visit forum.

You must ensure that you've enabled the joomla 1.5 authentication plugin in phpbb backend,
and of course tell the bridge you want user integration by modifying the $joomIntegrate setting (value 2 or 3). I assume you've created the joomphpbb_bridge table too.
The question: should user be registered at first where? I see that I got in joomla another administrator like in forum but I can't connect with its psw to Joomla
Please work first with a user that have admin right , both on joomla and phpbb side, and same username. You'll see that the bridge work, once when you login in joomla, you are automatically in phpbb . Get the bridge to work first with an admin account, then you'll be thinking of any other regular user (would just work anyway)

Just to clarify things more, when bridge user integration is enabled, user will have to register and login only in joomla. If you are unable to login in joomla, ,be aware that unless you visit a page that display forum , the bridge have zero impact on joomla behavior, and hence it's a different problem.

Beata
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Beata » Wed May 13, 2009 5:51 pm

I tried everything,

1. at first registered to Joomla, - don't get user to forum...
2. registered at first at forum, no user to Joomla...

There were simple user...

As for table, I am not very good with MySql. I have created joomphpbb_bridge, but I didn't know what structure to do

I did 1 column.... :-[
Image1.gif
Please tell me how to create table, of cource it don't work
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Wed May 13, 2009 6:00 pm

@beata
1. at first registered to Joomla, - don't get user to forum...
not sure what you mean. If you register in joomla, phpbb user is added only
after logging in joomla and then visting forum.

But first are you able to login in joomla, from hompage for instance ?
If you are not able to login in joomla, that's not a problem related to bridge.
As for table, I am not very good with MySql. I have created joomphpbb_bridge, but I didn't know what structure to do
well now delete that table :D , import the sql file provided with the bridge into phpmyadmin (phpbb databse must be selected) , and the joomphpbb_bridge table will then be created correctly.

Beata
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Beata » Wed May 13, 2009 7:28 pm

oH,
I didn't see that file, didn't notice
OK, I will do

I mean, that if I register a new user in Joomla, I don't get that user in forum and in contrarily
I am login to Joomla if I have user created
***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****_

1. Ok, I have deleted my table and imported yours
Than I went to Joomla and login with my user mustuke (administrator rights) - I am able to login from backend and frontend

When I logined from backend and went to frontend I saw that I am also connected (previuosly it didn't before bridge)

2. Than I went to forum and couldn't login as the same user mustuke and no user was created when I logined as common administrator

P.S. as for login with my Joomla is everything OK

Beata
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Beata » Thu May 14, 2009 4:58 am

I am reading again your instructions and want to ask:
mehdi wrote:
You must ensure that you've enabled the joomla 1.5 authentication plugin in phpbb backend,

YES, I have it
and of course tell the bridge you want user integration by modifying the $joomIntegrate setting (value 2 or 3).
Please explain in details about $joomIntegrate setting

Please work first with a user that have admin right , both on joomla and phpbb side, and same username.
My user mustuke has administrator rights in Joomla, but in forum I don't get this user automatically

[/quote]
Last edited by Beata on Thu May 14, 2009 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beata
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Beata » Thu May 14, 2009 5:05 am

Really that is interesting to have your bridge between Joomla and forum and thank you very much for your help and good tutorial,

but my goal and very important wish to have also the same design in forum like in Joomla.

Crwills
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Crwills » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:43 am

You may try out JFusion.
It may work.
C R Wills
Law Directory - http://www.attorneylawyerdirectory.org
Constuction Directory - http://constructiontoday.org

mwolf
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mwolf » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Crwills wrote:You may try out JFusion.
It may work.
Look at post dates :D
and then answer :D
I am sure they know about Jfusion already it was on alpha back then if I remember correctly

Beata
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Beata » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:05 pm

Really, :-)

My bridge is done with Jfusion and this doesn't give possibility to have the same design
The same design I got with Rockettheme

Return to “phpbb - Joomla! Integration”