Mehdi's Bridge for Phpbb2 (not 3 yet ...)

Discuss the integratoin of phpbb and Joomla! here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
houseplanet
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Mehdi's Bridge for Phpbb2 (not 3 yet ...)

Post by houseplanet » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:21 pm

Hi, mehdi
Your bridge is very good. Work excellent on my page.
But I use the phpbb separate from my template. But now I want to integrate it back into site's template.
I setup parameter $joomIntegrate to true but it doesnt work. I have message "no phpbb outpup"
I use not the default phphbb skin.
Where can be the problem?

site: http://www.houseplanet.dj
forum: http://www.houseplanet.dj/forum

Thanx in advance!

mr_freak
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mr_freak » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:31 am

thanks

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:16 pm

@mr_freak
it works well to all my new topics...
seems expected behavior... we are playing with a "default" setting, which means it won't affect things already posted...

@houseplanet
I setup parameter $joomIntegrate to true but it doesnt work. I have message "no phpbb outpup"
I don't see why. In fact the message appear regularly during redirections, but they are so fast that you can't see the message. Maybe redirections are failing.

Arganos
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Arganos » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Dear Mehdi,

Thanks for the bridge, it works really well. Managed to sync all the users, and working as intended except for one thing.

joomphpbb_engine.php

Code: Select all

//if we are not logged in joomla, then don't let the user access to the phpbb login page
    //redirect him to joomla's login page
    //but the phpbb's login page is also used to logout, in this case, access allowed
    if( !$my->id && strcmp($phpbbCurPage, "login")==0 && !isset($_GETPOST['logout']) ) {
        $target = "/index.php?option=com_login&Itemid=88888888&backapp=phpbb";
        header('Location: '. $joomUrl . $target);
        exit();
Did as you said in your faq.

login.html.php

*/
class loginHTML {

function loginpage ( &$params, $image ) {
		global $mosConfig_lang;

// used for spoof hardening
		$validate = josSpoofValue(1);

$backapp=mosGetParam( $_REQUEST, 'backapp');
$return= $backapp=="phpbb" ? "http://tibiarp.com/forum/" : $params->get('login');
		?>
		<form action="<?php echo sefRelToAbs( 'index.php?option=login' ); ?>" method="post" name="login" id="login">
		<table width="100%" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" class="contentpane<?php echo $params->get( 'pageclass_sfx' ); ?>">
Seems to me this is alright aswell? the url is the path to my forum.

I replaced the codes you said, can't see the mistake. No redirect.

With all due respect hope you can be bothered to help me.

Yours,

Arganos

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Thu May 01, 2008 12:18 am

hi Arganos ,
I visited your website.
If I go to

http://www.tibiarp.com/forum/
and then click the login link, I'm redirected to:

http://www.tibiarp.com/main/index.php?option=com_login&Itemid=88888888
while it should be:

http://www.tibiarp.com/main/index.php?option=com_login&Itemid=88888888&backapp=phpbb
see the missing end : "backapp=phpbb"
that was purpose of hacking the joomphpbb_engine.php file, and it's as if you didn't hack the file at all.

Moreover , hack of login.html.php is incorrect. You forgot the www at begining of url in the line:

$return= $backapp=="phpbb" ? "http://tibiarp.com/forum/" : $params->get('login');
should be:

$return= $backapp=="phpbb" ? "http://www.tibiarp.com/forum/" : $params->get('login');

good luck

Arganos
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Arganos » Thu May 01, 2008 7:41 am

Thanks Mehdi,

I was sure I had done that, really weird. Then again, better to do something like that when you haven't had a busy day.

I thank you again, everything is working as intended now.

Yours,

Arganos

Arganos
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Arganos » Tue May 06, 2008 1:20 pm

Dear Mehdi,

Everything is working as intended, though I have another small problem that bugs me.

Lots of my users browse the forum without logging in. They find the topic they need, press "Reply", get taken to the Joomla log in screen, log in, and then they get taken back to the forum main screen instead of the screen where they should reply.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Sincerely yours,

Arganos

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Fri May 09, 2008 1:27 am

@Arganos
Is there anything I can do about this?
nope, but I might consider to implement this in future (with Joomla 1.5 ...)

falele
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by falele » Mon May 12, 2008 8:32 pm

Hi Mehdi,

First of all, thanks for any help you can provide me.

I'm using Joomla! 1.0.15, phpBB 2.0.22-2 (Debian) and your latest bridge.

My website is at http://falele.homelinux.com and the forum is at the Foro section. I have a problem when an user logs in. I followed all steps in the installation procedure .... three times ...

My problem appears when a logged user in Joomla! tries to get inside the forum. I get this on screen:
Connection to phpbb database failed. Cannot check legitimacy of current phpbb user.
I checked permissions in MySQL and everything seems to be ok. Users are created correctly, and even the joomlaphpbbbridge table is ok.

Could you please give a clue of what is going on?

Thanks again. Regards from Malaga (Spain)!

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Tue May 13, 2008 10:43 pm

hi faele,
the error you got is unusual.
The bridge try to connect to phpbb database after getting settings from the config.php file...
But connection to database failed ... Or bridge failed to get settings from config.php file ...
You said you use the "latest bridge" so I don't see why you get error, sorry.
Probably some extensive testing on your server would help to find the error (i.e modifying bridge & experiment in order to see where exactly error comes from) , but I don't have time for this.

falele
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by falele » Wed May 14, 2008 12:01 am

mehdi wrote:the error you got is unusual.
The bridge try to connect to phpbb database after getting settings from the config.php file...
But connection to database failed ... Or bridge failed to get settings from config.php file ...
I found the problem. The joomlaphpbb_engine.php file didn't get the phpbb2 MySQL user password, so it couldn't make any query in the database. I inserted the password manually inside the code, and now it works.

Thanks anyway :)

houseplanet
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by houseplanet » Mon May 19, 2008 9:14 am

houseplanet wrote:Hi, mehdi
Your bridge is very good. Work excellent on my page.
But I use the phpbb separate from my template. But now I want to integrate it back into site's template.
I use not the default phphbb skin.
Where can be the problem?

site: http://www.houseplanet.dj
forum: http://www.houseplanet.dj/forum

Thanx in advance!

Plzzz. Maybe anybody can help me?

whipkey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by whipkey » Wed May 28, 2008 1:13 am

mehdi wrote:hi benderbaby ,
try to update the bridge if it's a bit old.
Check your joomla plugins do you have an ajax related plugin or sef enabled ?
To avoid potential redirection problem, the phpbb topics should be "viewable" publically.
If a phpbb user is not yet activated, and that you just bridge after, he won't be able to access his phpbb account ...
All I can suggest. Maybe giving more precisions could help.
My issue is exactly the same as benderbaby (comment from page 16 of this topic). I have been working on it today but so far haven't narrowed it down exactly to a line of code that is causing it. To refresh, here is the issue:
  • If I click a direct URL link to a forum or topic that is available to the public, while already logged in to Joomla, I get to the page. The bridge seems to log me in to phpbb because it shows me logged into the forum (username showing with a logout link).
  • If I click a direct link to a forum or topic which is private, and i am already logged into Joomla (doesn't matter if user is granted private forum access or not), I get a blank page (no error message or anything). The URL it sticks on is login.php, with a redirect parameter. Sometimes has a sid, sometimes not. At this point, I can remove the page and querystring from the URL and go to the forum index and see it OK. It shows me logged in. I can then click around to get to the private area with no problems. It is only the direct link to the protected area that breaks.
Now, I believe this may be related to the session somehow. When I echoed the session vars I did see that as you land on public areas of the forum it appends the SID to every link, and the session vars in that session are good. In the even of going to a direct link to a protected area, the session is empty. So far, I haven't found why it is empty in these cases.

I need to fix this, and will keep working on it, but I wanted to bring it to your attention. Your response to benderbaby (quoted above) did not solve the issue. When you say topics have to be publicly viewable, is that an unavoidable side effect of your bridge, something you know about but just can't fix? PhpBB has the capability to have private forums, and I am utilizing this for a business purpose, so I need to find a solution. I will let you know if I find the problem, but if you already know what the problem is, please let me know so I am not wasting too much time.

cheers,
Clay

AcidRain
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AcidRain » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:50 am

Hi, I just saw this topic.... I got a problem with Mehdis Bridge for phpbb2

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=300851

would any one please have a look and maybe merge it here ?

Thanks ;)

glendo
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by glendo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:12 pm

What is the fix for this I searched the forums and see others had this issue but no apparent fix. Is the bridge functional with Joomla 1.5?
Fatal error: Call to undefined function checkinputarray() in /xxxx/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/xxxxxxxxxx/joomphpbb_engine.php on line 209
Thanks

deekin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by deekin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:03 am

This seems like a great bridge. I've installed it, but i am getting the "No phpbb output" message on the forum, but it looks like I can logon to joomla using a phpbb user/password.

I looked earlier in this thread, and it looks like both instances that had this same issue was with a Commenter component. I don't have that component so I am not sure what it could be.

As you can see by my post count I am ridiculously new to this. Thanks!

-joe

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:58 am

This seems like a great bridge. I've installed it, but i am getting the "No phpbb output" message on the forum, but it looks like I can logon to joomla using a phpbb user/password.
Search any module, plugin that might be conflicting.
Try with a fresh install , and see if that it even works in this case.

benderbaby
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by benderbaby » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:00 am

hey dudes,
we were loosing to many members so we made a radical choice to migrate to phpbb3 olympus instead. Really appreciate the help from mehdi! looking forward to a visual integration bridge between olympus and joomla 1.5 :)
b

deekin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by deekin » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:05 pm

mehdi wrote:
Search any module, plugin that might be conflicting.
Try with a fresh install , and see if that it even works in this case.
this was a fresh install..but i will try it again

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:03 pm

looking forward to a visual integration bridge between olympus and joomla 1.5
that's all right. I might offer the ability to integrate visually only with next bridge.
It will be released before end of year, all I can promise.

benderbaby
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by benderbaby » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:29 pm

mehdi wrote:

looking forward to a visual integration bridge between olympus and joomla 1.5
that's all right. I might offer the ability to integrate visually only with next bridge.
It will be released before end of year, all I can promise.
WOW that is great news!! thank you mehdi, you raise the standard for forum bridges.

emily381
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by emily381 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:38 pm

Can someone please help me!!! I am trying to bridge the Joomla and phpBB 2 together and I have followed all the instructions but now when I go to my forum it takes me back to the install page that I previously deleted. You can see this at http://www.amilitarylife.com/forum

jan_suhr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jan_suhr » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:40 pm

I have a thing I would like to modify on my site.

It is for an autoclub and new members can apply for membership on the site. They first register in Joomla/CB and that information is sent as a membershipapplication if they want that. The data for the member is stored in our member db. After they have paid the fee their membership is activated in the member db.

This activation I want to automate. When they have been activated they will have access to the special membergroup in phpBB. I want the user to be aprt of that group when I activate him in the member db I also want the user to be part of the group for members. That in itself is not a problem but if the new member hasn't been in to the forum yet he is not part of the phpBB_users table. I am looking for a way to make this happening when they are activated in the same way as if they visited the forum the first time.

I need a pointer to which files that has the code for putting the user in to phpBB the first time so I can let that happen when I activate the member.

Thanks

Jan

radopod
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by radopod » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:13 pm

benderbaby wrote:hey dudes,
we were loosing to many members so we made a radical choice to migrate to phpbb3 olympus instead. Really appreciate the help from mehdi! looking forward to a visual integration bridge between olympus and joomla 1.5 :)
b
There is already one which is very close to a Beta. Check out JFusion @ www.jfusion.org.
Project Manager
http://jfusion.org - Universal User Integration

harmonix
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by harmonix » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi Mendi,
Just a quick question, I recently installed your phpbb - Joomla! Integration.
As far as I can see I have done so correctly although when i try to visit the page i get

"Fatal error: Call to undefined function checkinputarray() in /home/harmonix/public_html/phpBB2/joomphpbb_engine.php on line 209"
Can you please advise as to what I may have done wrong?
Thank you for your time!

bradbcam
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bradbcam » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:47 am

Guys,
I hope someone can help me. I have emailed medhi via his site but maybe he's busy with other things.

I have a brand new site with a new forum. The site has 3 users (admin and 2 test) and i have deleted one user since setup.
The problem: Originally i had problems where the bridge wasn't working but i corrected that myself as i'd misread the installation instructions. The forum and login then worked for a shoirt period (hours) but then it stopped letting people login to the site at all. This has now stopped but when i go to the forum it says "You are currently Logged In to the private area of this site". I have read through all the pages here but couldn't find a fix.
Can anyone help .. please?

pwNz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pwNz » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi,
i have some little problems with this bridge. I worked exactly by tutorial on Mehdi's site but i don't know how this error appeared.

1.) In joomla cp when i go Components > Phpbb it gives me error "there is nothing to do with..."
2.) When i try to go on my forum it say to me this "Unable to switch to Joomla dir
Is the provided relative path correct ?"

I edited joomphpbb_conf.php like this:

Joomla root: "http://www.sky-land.co.cc"
Forum root: "http://www.sky-land.co.cc/forum/" (tried only "forum/")

tried without "www" too.. so any1 can help me? :S

bradbcam
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bradbcam » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:13 pm

I managed to fix my problem by looking at the tutorials again. I just wasn't used to using myphpadmin so couldnt find the server_name value.
All seems to be up and running now

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:14 pm

16 march 2009
released a new bridge for phpbb3 & joomla 1.5 that replace this old bridge. Require php 5.

dysfunctional
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dysfunctional » Wed May 06, 2009 7:43 pm

this bridge seems very nice, but I'm having difficulties to make it work :(

i've followed every instruction very closely.

we are moving our forum (phpbb2) to a new server running joomla 1.5 in legacy mode.

after modding the phpbb2 installation we get the following message :

Fatal error: Call to undefined function checkInputArray() in /home/www/crashdiet.org/phpBB2/joomphpbb_engine.php on line 209

www.crashdiet.org is the old domain name, while the new is crashdiet.sc10.se. I've changed this in my admin of the forum (before I tried to install this bridge). (still, the link above looks a bit wierd though).

how would I change the link above? joomphpbb_engine.php is located at www.crashdiet.sc10.se/phpBB2/ . how would I tell phpbb2 this? :)

would be truly greatful for some help. quite a newbie on these things... thanks alot

//peter

Return to “phpbb - Joomla! Integration”