Long list of questions about what Joomla can do

Forum closed, please submit your tips and tricks to: http://docs.joomla.org/Category:Tips_and_tricks
philjhanna
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Long list of questions about what Joomla can do

Post by philjhanna » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:54 pm

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating a number of CMS Solutions but it's taking me an awful long time and I just can't easily find out many of the vital questions I have.

Some like "Can it host multiple websites without separate installations" are tricky to find out which has meant I've needed to install loads of cms's to find out and this takes a long time.

So I thought I'd cheat and ask the people who know.  If you think I'm being cheeky please just ignore me but if you know this CMS well and want to help me out I'd be very grateful if you could look at my features wish list and tell me which are possible and which aren't.

Many thanks to anyone who replies.

These aren't all requirements, for me the closest CMS will win.
It's also worth noting here we are wanting many completely unrelated sites to be running with this CMS not just one.

* Allows for integration with additional plug-ins where required
For example, future features might include forums, mapping packages, statistics,
geographical tracking, etc.

* Customisable front-end styles on the CMS interface
We would like to be able to style up the interface of each separate instance of the CMS in different look & feels.
Specifically we want to be able to change colours, font styles, and maybe images.
Some CMS solutions allow you to edit the text straight on the website (after logging in) not via an admin site. In this case this feature is not applicable.

* WYSIWYG editing interface
The user can see the page change as they are editing it, in the same look & feel (template) as the actual page. A preview button would also be ok.
Maybe even a preview website that displays latest changes rather than published items as the live site does.
MS Word*style formatting options appear at the top of the edit area, so that users can change the style without HTML knowledge.
Code should be cross-browser compliant (IE 6+ and Firefox 1+) and ideally accessible.

* Blog-style visitor comments
When enabled, website visitors can post comments on articles published on a website.
This technology would allow us to use the CMS as a Blogging tool.
CMS administrators can choose whether anyone can comment, only registered users (manageable via the CMS) or only team members.
Email alert goes to administrators for approval before a comment appears.

* Development content can be easily migrated to live
It should be easy for us to start adding content while the site is in development (on a development server) and for the same content then to be available on the live site.
So some sort of extract from development which is able to be inserted on Live.
Some CMS's appear to assign id's to items which are referenced and this mean they are then not copyable to separate database instances where the id's may already be taken.

* Modular
All options are simple to turn on and off for different sites.
For example, advanced options like changing navigation are disabled by default, but can be switched on, if we need it.

* Integrated free-text search for CMS users
So that users can easily find the content they are looking for. With Keyword highlighting.

* Automatic RSS feed generation of page content
E.g. for a news page. A tick box to decide whether an RSS feed link appears on the page or not.

* Different permissioning levels - lock content from certain users
We need at least the following levels:
* User (can edit but not publish)
* Moderator (can edit and publish)
* Administrator (can edit, publish, and change navigation, user permissions, etc)
Preferably, we would like a system where the administrators can set permissions for other users, and create custom user groups.

* Change navigation at all levels, add new pages as necessary
Ideally the CMS should be able to change the entire structure of the site.

* Automatic updating of the Site Map
Based on any changes to page titles or navigation.

* User-defined templates
Administrators can define new templates for pages and add new data fields to existing ones as required.
I.e. the CMS controls the templates.

* Auto-populate details based on login
Certain fields of the templates are automatically populated. Such as date and author.

* Track downloads of files added to CMS
Either independently track pages and files or have it integratable with our webtrends solution.
Some CMS systems seem to offer integrated stats.

* Secure areas
Sections of the public website (I.e. not the admin section) can be kept behind a login.
Access can be administered from within the CMS system.

* Scheduler to send pages live and review or remove pages at a given time.
So we can choose when a page goes live and when it is removed from the site, via an online calendar.
For example, users can send pages live at 7am without actually being there or automatically take a page down when content expires.

* Email Notification
Automatic email alert when a moderator or administrator needs to approve a change.

* Simple Task Management
Task allocation system, where moderators and Administrators can assign tasks to other CMS users.
For example, an Administrator can flag a page for updating by a certain team member.
The person either gets an email or is alerted next time they login.

* Versioning and history tracking
Administrators can view an audit trail of all changes in viewable and searchable format.
They can roll back to restore old versions of files.
When pages are deleted you can reinstate them based on the history - a sort of 'recycle bin'.

* Email list management
The CMS ideally should be able to maintain email lists.
For example, a press area where you have to register and then be granted access.
These profiles could tie in with the password protected area users.
This functionality could also be combined with permissioning for comments
(e.g. if you have to register before you can comment).

* Integration
We'd like to integrate the CMS with other web pages e.g. via portlets or http includes. 
Or the CMS could be supplied with an xml feed and a xsl or php file with which it can do an xslt transform and include the result.

* Multi Hosting
Host many cms driven sites without reinstalling or duplicating the software. 
Each CMS driven website will be completely independent of the others but should not require a webapp per site.

* Active Community
Is there an active community looking after, updating and supporting this CMS?  Is commercial support available?

* Oracle
This is not a major requirement but ideally we would be able to continue using our Oracle database.
Very good CMS systems which do not support Oracle are still going to be considered however it's quite possible we may wish to do work to add this feature to the CMS. 
We may also use MySQL if this is the only alternative.

Again many thanks to anyone who is willing to answer these questions. Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Phil

Deleted User

Re: Long list of questions about what Joomla can do

Post by Deleted User » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:43 pm

hi man,
even i wasa newbie. let me say u, atleast u have got the questions to ask, but in my case i never even had questions to ask, reason? i never knew about cms  even a bit. but let me say taht within few days i am staying on my own legs.
and mi good advice is to first visit the demo site of joomla! and later try to add the stuffs u like from extensions.. then on you will get to know everything on the go.... good luck

NickClarkin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by NickClarkin » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:47 am

Hi there,

I have basic experience with CMS websites in the .NETNuke environment and am always surprised by what is possible. I share one question with you as I consider Joomla as a solution for my own freelance web clients - 'Does it allow management of email lists, a web form contact databse and the ability to target email to a mass list based on specific user criteria?' - Basically, contact database and email campaigns. If so, it possesses all I need to provide a complete solution. ( I also want to be able to create/modify existing templates and am willing to learn whatever PHP is required). have you found the answer? I know there a a myriad of amazing extensions available, and I am hoping that someones has developed a 'plugin/extension' to provide this function.

http://extensions.joomla.org/

Nick

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:48 am

hi man,
let me share what i know:
1> it's possible to manage users  with the help of community builder and this stuff is free. i say you try it out and check out the features whether it matches yours (or) if what you are trying to say is you want's to have different groups of users i have seen some extensions at extensions.joomla.org most probably under core enhancement section- just look -in for some reviews there that should lead you.
2> and when it comes to email campaigns or sending emails to certain user base even that is possible with the basic joomla! installation> see under admin section in the joomla! backend, you will see component tab> in that mass mail> so mass mail is possible (or) if you are looking for some newsletters then go in for something called acajoom news> for more look in for communication>newsletters
i suppose this full fills ur purpose
3> if u wants to import or export user data there is something called juice look in for it at if not here> community builders forum
4>well really it's not requirded to learn php or any other language from scratch !!!
5>if you want's to know on how to edit templates go to rockettheme.com  >tutorials it's cool and amazing!

now go in 4 joomla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:53 am

NOW U WOULD BE KNOWING THAT ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE WITH JOOMLA!
FOR EASY JOOMLA! SETUP USE Autility called joomla! installer at tools section in joomla!extension site!

Return to “Submit Your Suggested Tips & Tricks to Docs.joomla.org now please.”