When?

Here you can contact the editors of our Extensions site, as well as access infomation relating to this site.

Moderator: JED Team

Forum rules
Forum Rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
faufer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

When?

Post by faufer » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:38 am

Today is 20 November.
Where is the new vesion of JED (3)......20 days without the possibility to update or insert new extensions on JED.
Someone can say when it will start to work? All dates you have are notified are gone unfulfilled, I hoped to be wrong, but unfortunately, the facts tell me that you have severely underestimated the magnitude of this conversion.

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: When?

Post by SharkyKZ » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:59 am

Soon. For now you can preview the new site at dev.extensions.joomla.org.

CharlyG
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by CharlyG » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:28 pm

I was about to ask the same question: WHEN?
The way this migration is being handled is nothing but a very sad joke!!! More than 3 weeks to move from one platform to another... And still nothing! Seriously? I hope you guys don't have a real job in IT... Or I feel very sorry for your employer.
Let me tell you something. Some people, many people are using Joomla for their business. Some developers (including me) are relying on the extensions site to sell or simply distribute their products for free.
What you are exhibiting here is a complete lack of competence and an utter disrespect for the Joomla community, developers users and supporters alike.
These people in charge of this so called "migration" let's call it a complete FIASCO are seriously compromising the reputation and the future of Joomla!
If you are not capable to put this new system in place, please rollback to the current system and find some competent people to fix the mess and build a reliable new platform. It looks like these guys from Fabrikar are trying to tackle something that's clearly too big for them to manage.
No wonder why more and more people are leaving for WP... This is sad but true. Now when a client asks me for a site I hear more and more "You will use WordPress right?"
I have always been a fervent supporter of Joomla, but this time I think this is ENOUGH!!!

JacquesR
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JacquesR » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:31 pm

CharlyG, welcome to the Joomla! Forum. Please take a chillpill. :o

Did the current JED suddenly dissapear overnight, or did your free traffic stop? Did the delay cause an early Armageddon? (excuse the hyperbole but I'm trying my best to match yours)

(I am not on the JED Team... just one of those people who's silly enough to volunteer my free time so that also people like you can make money off Joomla)

Jacques

alikon
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by alikon » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:33 pm

@Charlyg It's seems that you don't have respect for the peoples working for free to release a better JED for all the joomla community. Are you paying some fee for earn money being published on Jed? No of course.
What is your help to the community? Near nothing.
Before complain think about this next time.
Nicola Galgano
i know that i don't know
www.alikonweb.it

CharlyG
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by CharlyG » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:25 pm

Hi Alikon, Hi Jacques,

Who talked about making money? The few utilities I have released in the JED are FREE! If I had to pay to upload FREE extensions to the JED, well it would soon become an empty box... Because most contributors would look somewhere else. Good will has some limits.
Now about my nothing contribution, one of my extensions has been downloaded more than 50000 times this year, and yes it's free. Maybe this is nothing, still some people seem to appreciate the work I've put here for free.
I don't make money from Joomla, I make money from my development job that's a significant difference. But some companies are living from the extensions they develop for Joomla and the current situation has become not acceptable.
About having respect, you're right Alikon I have little respect for people who don't meet their deadlines, ignore the rest of the community and work in complete opacity. That's how this whole new JED3 has been handled from the beginning and it's very disappointing. As I said in my first post, more than 3 weeks for migrating a site is pathetic. If they were still in beta, stay in beta and leave the current JED up and running.
On top of this you add zero communication apart from some fluctuating dates... And you talk about showing respect!
Yes this puts me out of my hinges and Jacques is right I should take a chill pill.
I am angry because I've been using Joomla since v1.0 (2004 or 2005 ?) and I see this great platform going down because of things like this JED 3 mess. Not to talk about the non sense of supporting j2.5 and j3 etc but that's off topic.
May I suggest that the people in charge of this never ending story take some vitamins then. And please inform us about your plans for the new JED
The question is still there: When?
Sorry for the long post.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:22 pm

I think the "nothing contribution" comment may have been in respect of not rerecognising your user name or knowing your extension.
Seems every time someone moans about the Jed not working. (Which at the moment updates and new extensions just can't be done ) it's usually followed by " you lost me money I have to sack/starve).
So hand out the smarties and wait for more news ....(personal capacity post )
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:54 pm

The dev site has some strangeness where the ranking is concerned. An extension ranked #1 with over 100 reviews in the current site is ranked 40th in the new site, below extensions with only 1 review.

So, currently popular extensions are way way down the list, displaced by extensions that are unproven and barely reviewed.

By all means, keep working on it. It's definitely not done yet.
My extensions: http://extensions.joomla.org/profile/pr ... ails/18398
Honk if this signature offends you.

obuisard
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by obuisard » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:11 am

Why not some constructive criticism guys?
I am amazed about the 'relative aggressivity' of some people. The kind found sometimes in extension reviews.
I have been going through the beta site and can definitely see the HUGE improvement of this JED over the old one. The work that has been done is very appreciated, I want the team of developers who work on this to know that. It will improve the way extensions are perceived by the end user, among other things.
I have one dislike though: when going into a category, the only thing that catches the attention is the huge banner of ads and the massive search field. No extension is visible unless one scrolls down.
Just my 2 cents!

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:48 am

There seems to be a loss of functionality in the present dev site.

When viewing a category which contains subcategories, there isn't a method to reach the subcategories. Once in a subcategory, the pathway is empty until you view an actual extension within that category.
My extensions: http://extensions.joomla.org/profile/pr ... ails/18398
Honk if this signature offends you.

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by SharkyKZ » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:20 am

stutteringp0et wrote:The dev site has some strangeness where the ranking is concerned. An extension ranked #1 with over 100 reviews in the current site is ranked 40th in the new site, below extensions with only 1 review.

So, currently popular extensions are way way down the list, displaced by extensions that are unproven and barely reviewed.

Personally, I'd rather see it stay that way. New extensions should be given a chance to become popular. By default should be ordered like this: rating (descending) -> popularity (ascending) so that the highest rated and least popular extensions would be at the top. This would give them the so needed exposure.

TheMuffinMan
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by TheMuffinMan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:36 am

People, all known issues with the new JED are addressed through a ticket system, like in any other software project, and most of them are solved. 2 days over the predicted release, so what?

@SharkyKZ: for new ones there is "New Extensions" and "New & Noteworthy". Having just one review doesn't necessarily mean it's a new extension, so I'd +1 the 5-vote-minimum-threshold we know from the old JED.

mad4joomla
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mad4joomla » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:34 pm

I can't remember when I did post something here.
I always used to be active in the forum...
... so what do I want to tell you guys ?

Users just like CharlyG are still focused on Joomla why we can read this strong reaction.
It doesn't mean that the current situation of JED (new JED) bothers me.
But for me personally I came to the conclusion that Joomla isn't reliable place for business.
I still earn money with J! extensions with my company but about 1 year ago I've started to move my focus.
I wouldn't say that I don't care at all but I do not more and more.

I heard the "we are volunteers" argumentation over and over again.
But what does it mean? Does it mean due to someone is a volunteer (s)he doesn't need to do a good job?
Does it mean that fatally wrong decisions are legitimized by it? (I don't point to the new JED by this statement)

I really understand that people who do things for free or just for reputation are not able to spend that energy and time in a thing.
They need to earn money anywhere else.
But if so there are only two options:
1. No more volunteers, operational Joomla staffs need to be paid for a regular job.
2. A clear hierarchic structure with a lot more volunteers.

The decision to outsource JED3 was a first step in this way but if the vendor doesn't provide good results in time, It is in the client to initiate legal or other steps. Probably this happend, we don't know.
This is why I would not start "bashing" the volunteers now.
Probably wrong decisions have been made by the Joomla members but this is based on the lack of transparency and that the "community" never realy have been asked by Joomla / JED since I can remember.
All ther attempts to involve "the community" used to be a thing where the last decision have been met by the leadership.

A software community just can survive and get that big if there are people spending time and know how into the project.
If I talk about time I mean the major time.
If you spend your major time into the project you need to earn money with it because everybody needs money.
This was the success story of Joomla because extension developers could earn money with paid extensions and got subventions from joomla by leading the users to them for free.
The theoretical payment for the leads used to be the swallowing of all the rules and restrictions made by JED.

If JED is not working or the new JED does significantly ruin the sales for commercial extension vendors, Joomla won't work as well.
What I saw in the new JED right now is that extension developers (especially commercial ext-devs) will suffer.
If the commercial extensions are gone or won't further maintained there just will be many many hobby extension for Joomla, which could mean the beginning of the end of Joomla.
No Brain - No Problem!
http://www.mooj.org

rajeevvishva
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rajeevvishva » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:51 am

hi JED Team,
i am also a Joomla developer. if you need any help form me.. so please skype me..
Joomla Web Development & Design :http://jasonwebdesign.com/

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:16 am

I don't agree.

The people 3pds that should rank high is people that have supported Joomla long term and have extensions that in most cases should be a Joomla core product. They should be better promoted and known by people in the first place. And you should not be able to "buy" some voters to get high in the rankings with fraudulent behaviour.

Being a 3pd developer is about trust and that takes time to create and if you are not willing to be in the business for long time earning your reputation you may not have a good product where you have put in enough of time and skill into it.
SharkyKZ wrote:
stutteringp0et wrote:The dev site has some strangeness where the ranking is concerned. An extension ranked #1 with over 100 reviews in the current site is ranked 40th in the new site, below extensions with only 1 review.

Personally, I'd rather see it stay that way. New extensions should be given a chance to become popular. By default should be ordered like this: rating (descending) -> popularity (ascending) so that the highest rated and least popular extensions would be at the top. This would give them the so needed exposure.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:23 am

This is about communication.

Even coders must understand if you commit to something and it not going well you have to communicate to others what going on.

Everybody appreciate the hard work that is done and have been planned to be accomplished within a time frame and its very difficult to set up deadlines for projects like this b u t pls communicate to the community where you are in the finalising process especially what's going well what's going wrong what's the problem and engage the community what you are dong and what's happening!

Just a few lines to update every week! It takes 2 min to do that...

Thats the problem.

and if you cant solve that problems pls postpone the release dates so the old JED can still work for new contributions! and update the release dates..and let the project manager do that!
mandville wrote:I think the "nothing contribution" comment may have been in respect of not rerecognising your user name or knowing your extension.
Seems every time someone moans about the Jed not working. (Which at the moment updates and new extensions just can't be done ) it's usually followed by " you lost me money I have to sack/starve).
So hand out the smarties and wait for more news ....(personal capacity post )

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:03 am

Here is a new post/update. Didnt see it when posting this...

http://community.joomla.org/blogs/leade ... am+Blog%29

faufer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by faufer » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:42 am

I just wondered that someone clarify the schedule planned. My comment was not critical of the great work done by the group. The last scheduling proposal (see link by Darb) it seems realistic and closer to what has happened so far. I remain, however, in my opinion that the shift in production of the project has been under estimated and the block of the current repository JED too long maintained. I think you were too optimistic, however, are anxious to try the new version on the field and I thank you for the beautiful work done. :laugh: :laugh:

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:39 pm

faufer wrote:I just wondered that someone clarify the schedule planned. My comment was not critical of the great work done by the group. The last scheduling proposal (see link by Darb) it seems realistic and closer to what has happened so far. I remain, however, in my opinion that the shift in production of the project has been under estimated and the block of the current repository JED too long maintained. I think you were too optimistic, however, are anxious to try the new version on the field and I thank you for the beautiful work done. :laugh: :laugh:
Please see: http://community.joomla.org/blogs/leade ... ctory.html

faufer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by faufer » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:17 pm

Hi Brad,
I had already read what you give me , I had already written above (link Darb ... see above) and I referred to his link that is the same that you send. I read. I wrote to thank because finally there is a clear schedule.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:31 am

faufer wrote:Hi Brad,
I had already read what you give me , I had already written above (link Darb ... see above) and I referred to his link that is the same that you send. I read. I wrote to thank because finally there is a clear schedule.
Sorry, my mistake.

faufer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by faufer » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:01 am

Hi Brad,
No problem, I just wanted to know if my bad English had created misunderstandings ... communication about the project is finally good ... thanks!!

Return to “extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”