Petition to get the PREVIOUS JED BACK

Here you can contact the editors of our Extensions site, as well as access infomation relating to this site.

Moderator: JED Team

Forum rules
Forum Rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
jeffT
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Petition to get the PREVIOUS JED BACK

Post by jeffT » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:27 am

Since the new Joomla Extension Directory was put online, many people have expressed their concern about this new version.
It now appears clearly that the new JED 3 is not mature for production environment. It lacks critical functionality that were available in the previous version, the UI has many issues and most features do not work as they are supposed too (search, ratings, etc.)

This situation cannot last and until ALL these issues are fixed, I ask that the previous version of the Joomla Extension Directory is put back online with FULL OPEN ACCESS.
By full open access, I mean that users shall be able to post reviews and rate extensions and developers submit new extensions and update their existing ones.

If you agree with the above, please add a comment to this post expressing that you too want to have the previous fully functional version of the JED back online.

In the hope that the JED team will become reasonable and understand how wrong it is to maintain the new version of the JED in place against the advice of the whole Joomla community and more important against obvious common sense.

Best regards
Jeff

jk1
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Petition to get the PREVIOUS JED BACK

Post by jk1 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:28 pm

I disagree. Yes, the new JED needs a number of improvements, but a roll back to the old system would be a waste of time, which is better invested in improving the new one. Imho - overall it is not as bad as many users think after the first glance.
Note that one of the reasons why it was decided to build a new JED was, that many people complained about the old JED.

TheMuffinMan
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by TheMuffinMan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:58 pm

as jk1 stated, the new JED was heavily requested and is actually improving already.

CharlyG
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by CharlyG » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:15 pm

+1!
The new JED is an absolute FIASCO. Please revert to the old version and come back with something that works.

JTema
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by JTema » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:44 am

+1!
I also think that The old JED should be restored and the new JED should be improved at the back end and after completition should be replaced.
Last edited by JTema on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.joomlatema.net - Joomla Extensions and Templates
https://asgardia.joomlatema.net - Asgardia Joomla Gardening Template

bigwookie
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bigwookie » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:59 pm

+1

Tazzoz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Tazzoz » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:27 pm

+1
With the new JED our visits from extensions.joomla.org have dropped drastically to 45% and sales almost to 80%.
Lead Developer at Tassos.gr

Add Schema Structured Markup for Better Joomla SEO. https://www.tassos.gr/joomla-extensions ... ata-markup

kavery327
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kavery327 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:47 pm

I hate the new JED. This one brings Joomla down and makes it even with Drupal in my opinion.

Vimes
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Vimes » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:20 pm

http://www.jomres.net THE online hotel booking and reservation system for Joomla and Wordpress.

pollen8
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by pollen8 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:06 am

-1. The old jed had multiple issues that was the reason it was decided to update it.
I don't think you will find anyone on the JED team who will want to go back up to the number of hours needed to manage it compared to now. To put things into perspective, a work load of 10 hours per week for a JED team user has already been cut down to around 1.5/2 hours. Please be aware that the entire back end was also redesigned specifically for the tasks that the JED team need to do. Its an often thankless job helping out in the JED so improving the workflow for these hardy volunteers has to be in the interest of the project as a whole. The jed team also saw a large burn out rate with volunteers due to the large time investment that was required of each helper. Hopefully we should expect that burn our rate to decrease with the quicker workflow, and thus create a revitalized team to help run the JED.

Rather than wasting time petitioning for something that simply isn't going to happen, report any bugs or improvements in the JIRA bug tracker (I hope you have already done so though?
), lets work together to improve things, not wishfully expect to revert to a false eldorado that didn't exist in the first place.

Saying "search doesn't work" is not a bug report, its an opinion, and something we would find difficult to fix. On the other hand saying "I searched on term X and extension Y was not displayed even though it's name contains the search term" is a bug report. I suggest the weighting could be improved if we indexed the field X in the search results.

> It lacks critical functionality that were available in the previous version
Again report that functionality, the RFP (http://community.joomla.org/blogs/leade ... posal.html) was open for from August 2013 so anyone could have read what the JED team wanted to implement. Its possible that something was missed.

> Ratings
Again explain what is not working - report a bug. Read the RFP to understand how the rating system is intended to work
aka

Vimes
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Vimes » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:11 am

Well said pollen8.

Sure, the new JED's not perfect but the scope for improvement is far wider than was available in the old JED and you guys have just got to give the devs time to fine-tune the new system.
http://www.jomres.net THE online hotel booking and reservation system for Joomla and Wordpress.

qvsoft
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by qvsoft » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:32 am

@pollen8: New JED is easy to manage than old JED, but not just thinking as JED Manager, let's thinking as the user, new JED drop many useful features that was in old JED, like category structure, category tree browse, UI is better, but UX is worse. Listen the community, new JED means nothing if it has less visitor than old JED.
http://www.joomultra.com - Premium Joomla Extensions

PatrickDoyle
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PatrickDoyle » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:28 pm

+1 The new JED is an unmitigated disaster. Your search system does not work..period!

1. It does not display what was searched for, instead showing totally un-searched for items.
2. The drill-downs do not work, such as ratings, instead showing totally un-searched for items.
3. There is no way to see all the old categories.
4. There is no listing of total number of extensions which many of us use to show potential clients the depth of Joomla development.
5. The new system is so broken we can NOT show it to clients as their immediate reaction is "well if the Joomla directory doesn't work properly, then why should I trust Joomla at all?"

It amazes us that you would even launch this defective system before it was ready. Shows a total lack of responsibility and quality control and hinders Joomla developers and consultants.

I highly suggest you at least make available the old but working system till you fix this mess! >:( :(

mirphi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mirphi » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:12 pm

I don't know that it should necessarily be rolled back but it doesn't work the way it is. It should have been tested more before making the switch. It is much more difficult to find information in a meaningful way. Submitting reviews is ridiculous. The rules clearly state not to leave one line reviews. Yet, there is only a tiny amount of allowed space per feature. Not conducive to leaving an actual review.

dangling
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dangling » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:06 am

+1 I can understand if the new one is easier to manage but why the style makeover? The navigation is very poor and font size is enormous so are the images. The purpose of the JED is to allow people to browse and compare extensions when trying to find a solution. The new interface is not conducive to browsing in order to find an extension you need. People need to see lists and quickly read feedback not view pretty icons and try to work out where to click.

Why compromise desktop user for phone users. I would like to know the split of desktop vs mobile on the JED. I would be very surprised if the majority of extension searches were not on the desktop.

It's almost as bad as the J3 Isis template.

Tessa Mero
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Tessa Mero » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:58 pm

Going back to the old JED means going back to joomla 1.5 and not being responsive either.

The devs are working hard to get through all the new issues being found for the NEW JED so it is 100% bug free.

After this point, we are going to be working on adding/fixing existing functionality to work in a better way.

Currently, the JED team is ONLY focusing on what was created in the functional design document, which was open for public feedback for an extremely long time. The entire new JED system is based off of public feedback and opinions only. If you were not part of that, then I'm sorry, but now is not a time to discuss things that aren't going to happen.

This thread will NOT be looked at by the JED team manager since it's unproductive and a waste of time, when he is spending all his time managing the developers and the issues.

Please do not create posts such as this. It's extremely disrespectful and rude since all of us volunteers have been working many hours a day trying to make this project a success for the community. I feel like this is the biggest insult I've had in a long time and actually hurts a lot. I will not tolerate this. If you don't have a single clue on why we had to move to a new system and don't have a clue why it was designed the way it was, then you shouldn't be making comments such as this. There's a lot to it and Rob pointed out some of the endless facts already.
Tessa Mero
JED Team Assistant Manager
Production Leadership Team Member

Return to “extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”