Info Box for pending Submissions

Here you can contact the editors of our Extensions site, as well as access infomation relating to this site.

Moderator: JED Team

Forum rules
Forum Rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
zomtec
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Info Box for pending Submissions

Post by zomtec » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:19 pm

At the old JED component there was an info text for pending submissions showing the current ranking in the waiting list if a developer opened the editing for the pending submission.
Would it be possible to get this feature back for some more transparency?

Tessa Mero
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Info Box for pending Submissions

Post by Tessa Mero » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:17 pm

Zomtec,

This caused a lot of issues in the past with a dozen tickets being submitted a day asking "Why has my queue stayed at the same number and it's been 2 days"?

With the insane amount of tickets, it caused us more work. Now that this feature has been removed, it has helped us a lot work more efficiently.

Thanks for asking though!
Tessa Mero
JED Team Assistant Manager
Production Leadership Team Member

JLinker
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JLinker » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:38 pm

Maybe the need for a queue count and the ticket inflation it creates when it's there are just the surface of a deeper problem.
Maybe the problem is that a lot of developers would really enjoy more communication about what's going on in the validation team and process.

Maybe just a thread where the team posts news and talks about the challenges faced?
I know and I'm sure the validation team is hard working and very busy and I'm probably not qualified enough or at the right place to give advice.

But from a simple Joomla! developer point of view, the validation process is just a big black hole. I just drop extensions there and hope that something happens. I can't make production plans to feed the JED with all the love and creativity I want to give.

I have about 10 extensions in my lab that have followed the same production process.
When time came to submit, I wondered: shall I send all of them, or see how the 1rst one goes and adjust the other ones acorrdingly before submitting more?

I guess there are advantages and disadvantages in both approaches.
Even though I believe they're all good to go (i've already been through the process once), I've chosen to submit one first and wait to see what happens.

But with no visibility on anything at all, impossible to make a reliable business plan for mass production.
Maybe I'll be the happy owner of 11 JED extensions in 3 weeks, maybe in 6 months, only god knows.

So I have to consider publishing extensions for other CMS and OS platforms in order to bring more stability on a yearly strategy.
I wish I could focus on Joomla! and give it 100% of my time because it's got everything to be THE BEST.

In my developer point of view, Joomla just needs an EXPLOSION of good quality extensions. It looks like it's what is making Wordpress extensions and IOS so successful.

I'm a Joomla! integrist and I'll wait with everyone that the validation process gains in visibility.
Thanks a lot for the great work.
JLinker Facebook Tabs for Joomla, Virtuemart, Kunena, K2, JEvents, Hikashop, J2Store | JLinker Menu Generator | https://www.jlinker.com

JLinker
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JLinker » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:07 pm

I suggest an official Joomla! hotline. I can set up a PBX, provide a number and guarantee a quality of service.
My mission would be to inform users about the validation status of their extensions, potential issues, existing comments of the validation team and expected time of progress.

I'm based in London. I can speak fluent English, French, Spanish and Mina (but obviously there are not many Joomla! developers in the West African jungle).

Anyone who would like to join is welcome.

Just a drop of human touch in order to relax the developers, even if it might not make a validation process faster at all.
It could maybe be less pressure and tickets on the validation team.

Tickets are good versus phone to gain time, until it starts defeating the point for other reasons.
I've got 2 guys who would love to get involved if we can just be labelled as part or extension of the JED team ;)

There would be no requests from us to the validation Team, so no extra work and no extra devs in order to add a counter on the corner of a page. Of course, the accredited members of the Joomla! Team would have a secured access to call quality control at any time, in order to make sure the service is well driven.

This is just an attempt to give developers the illusion that they are happier, so that they can keep working on providing extensions without worrying too much for their Joomla! future.

The offer is available for as long as possible. Please contact me any time before it's time for retirement. Thanks a lot.
JLinker Facebook Tabs for Joomla, Virtuemart, Kunena, K2, JEvents, Hikashop, J2Store | JLinker Menu Generator | https://www.jlinker.com

Return to “extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”