Extension Deleted

Here you can contact the editors of our Extensions site, as well as access infomation relating to this site.

Moderator: JED Team

Forum rules
Forum Rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Extension Deleted

Post by mariusvr » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi,

Our JED entry for JFusion was deleted. We have spend thousand of hours for free promoting the Joomla community and providing a free product with free support.

We never received any email that our JED entry would be deleted. JFusion is compatible with Joomla 3x, but out extension was not updated on JED to reflect this.

I find it completely unacceptable that JED entries were deleted (for us we never received a warning). Why were these deleted immediately. It would have been very easy to unpublish them. This way you would be able to reinstate it if there was an error made.

We had a 4+ star rating and 200+ reviews. Unbelievable that this was deleted without warning. And apparently nobody has any backups.

Please can anybody help?????
JFusion is a revolutionary new universal user integration tool for Joomla. Visit http://www.jfusion.org for more details.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Extension Deleted

Post by brian » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:11 pm

"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:52 am

Thanks Brian, I am aware of this post now, but only after our extension was deleted.

JFusion is compatible with Joomla 3.x. We never received any emails with regards to our extension being deleted if the JED entry was not updated.

What I am confused about is:
- Why did extensions have to be deleted? The JED team could have just unpublished allowing people that may not have received communications to update the entry.
- I am told that there are no backups of the JED. Why would nobody have a backup if you are going to perform major work that includes deletion of many entries. If the JED would be hacked, would all data be lost forever. I find it had to believe there are no database backups.

All our JED reputation has been lost overnight. Thousands of hours of volunteering and dedication to the Joomla community were lost.

Surely someone must be able to help and restore the entry from backup. You can still access our reviews through google cache as well.
JFusion is a revolutionary new universal user integration tool for Joomla. Visit http://www.jfusion.org for more details.

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:03 pm

Nobody even going to reply?

Tessa Mero
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Tessa Mero » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:40 pm

I think I remember this support ticket and I was the one who replied.

You stated that your extension was joomla 3 compatible and that we deleted it. I went on the wayback machine and looked up your listing and it clearly had only 2.5 checked. We made several announcements that we were going to remove it.

If you haven't already, you may resubmit it and we will publish it, assuming it runs through the JEDChecker with no issues. :-)
Tessa Mero
JED Team Assistant Manager
Production Leadership Team Member

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:32 am

Thanks for your reply Tessa. Would you be able to comment on my previous question.
mariusvr wrote: What I am confused about is:
- Why did extensions have to be deleted? The JED team could have just unpublished allowing people that may not have received communications to update the entry.
- I am told that there are no backups of the JED. Why would nobody have a backup if you are going to perform major work that includes deletion of many entries. If the JED would be hacked, would all data be lost forever. I find it had to believe there are no database backups.

All our JED reputation has been lost overnight. Thousands of hours of volunteering and dedication to the Joomla community were lost.

Surely someone must be able to help and restore the entry from backup. You can still access our reviews through google cache as well.
The issue is not resubmission to the JED, but that our reputation has been deleted without us receiving a warning(maybe went into spam). It feels like a massive kick in the guts to have our hard work deleted for which we spend thousands and thousands of hours of our time to the Joomla community for free.

Surely there must be something that can be done to restore the entry?

Thanks, Marius

Tessa Mero
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Tessa Mero » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:14 pm

mariusvr wrote:Thanks for your reply Tessa. Would you be able to comment on my previous question.
mariusvr wrote: What I am confused about is:

The issue is not resubmission to the JED, but that our reputation has been deleted without us receiving a warning(maybe went into spam). It feels like a massive kick in the guts to have our hard work deleted for which we spend thousands and thousands of hours of our time to the Joomla community for free.

Surely there must be something that can be done to restore the entry?

Thanks, Marius
The same rules apply to everyone. I guess let this be a learning experience and read any announcements we send out since they are generally really important.

Also, you can now sign up for the JED Newsletters for major announcements.

As for seeing what the team is doing month by month, you can read our volunteer reports on volunteers.joomla.org.

I'm very sorry that you've lost your reviews but there's nothing we can do. This will be the same case when we stop supporting a version and will be removing any non compatible listings.

The BEST thing I can do for you is send me an email at tessa.mero (at) extensions.joomla.org and i'll forward it to the JED Team manager for a final look at the situation. But he may most likely say no since we'd have to do it for everyone if we do it for one, and we are already a bit behind and trying to keep up with the work load. :-)
Tessa Mero

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:31 am

Thanks for the reply Tessa.

Maybe in future you can unpublish rather than delete extensions that do not meet new requirements. It would as easy as running an SQL query like " update #__ extensions SET published = 0 WHERE joomla30_checkbox = 0". This would avoid deleting extensions and allow for easy restoration in case of a mistake.

"Let this be a lesson learned, for not checking the JED website every month".
That is a harsh statement to me, as our reputation earned over many years was lost overnight. Remember that many people in the Joomla community (like yourself), perform a lot of community support for no payment. It really feels like a kick in the guts to have our JED entry deleted, for which we dedicated our time for free for thousands of hours.

Like I expected restoring the entry would be possible, but won't be done due to time constaints. I'll send you an email and hope you will be able to help. I am pretty down about the whole situation and not sure if I should just pull the plug out of the whole project.

Marius

player_one
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Please put back Jfusion in the JED

Post by player_one » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:29 pm

Hello, Jfusion is not in the JED anymore, as I read in this thread http://www.jfusion.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8820

Maybe you should look for a backup and restore Jfusion on the JED, because if we start leaving out the most powerful components then we can say goodbye to Joomla! to me, It's like you deleted JCE... You could say that the developer can submit a new listing, but what about all the reviews it had?

Please, do something. Thanks.
Last edited by mandville on Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: duplicate topics merged, moved to more relevant forum.

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Please put back Jfusion in the JED

Post by itoctopus » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:51 am

I read the thread in the link you have thankfully provided, and I have to say that this is not a problem with the JED; the developer doesn't have the time to create a version that is compatible with Joomla 3.x, and the rules are if you want to stay on the JED then your extension has to remain compatible with the latest version of Joomla (they give you a decent grace period).

Joomla 3 was released a long time ago, and an update to that extension should have taken place, but didn't. I know that the developer doesn't have the time and I know that jFusion is a very important extension but these are the rules.

Again, even if the reinstate the extension (they do reinstate it with the reviews as far as I know), the developer just doesn't seem to have the time to update it.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

player_one
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by player_one » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:07 am

Well actually he said he didn't have the time to update the STATUS on the listing, but the component is already compatible with Joomla 3. What I understand is that for some reason he didn't receive the warnings... but let me ask, who would delete a 200 reviews listing without double checking if anything went wrong? This is discouraging for developers, and developers are the ones who make a CMS' fortune.

player_one
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by player_one » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:39 pm

Now that the thread has been merged I read something more about this situation. Well, Tessa mero says " let this be a learning experience ", you can bet it'll be a learning experience for mariusvr, and what does he learn? Stay away from joomla and start developing for wordpress!

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by itoctopus » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi Tessa,

Now that I have read the full thread I think for once I don't fully agree with you. The JED team is a bit harsh on an extension that is still being used by major companies and educational institutions (in fact, a really major NY university we're working with now is using it) and I think it deserves to be re-instated. I don't think this whole thing should be about "teaching the developer a lesson" and "making an example out of him" - he didn't do anything wrong and his extension helped the ascent of Joomla and he was committed to Joomla during the good times and the bad times. From his response, one can definitively conclude that had he received the warnings from the JED then he would have reacted immediately. Why not give him at least the benefit of the doubt?

I don't know the developer and I have never worked with him (and I personally don't like jFusion, but it does work and those who use it on a daily basis love it), but I know how he feels when he spent thousands of hours working on something for free yet ending up being disappointed because of the "rules".

Note: It might be that the JED system never sent the warning in the first place.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

Vimes
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Vimes » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:17 am

itoctopus wrote: Note: It might be that the JED system never sent the warning in the first place.
I remember I got the warning, so I guess either his email address was wrong or the message was incorrectly spam filtered.

Either way, I guess JED didn't really have much choice but to assume it was abandon-ware. There's a lot of it about.
http://www.jomres.net THE online hotel booking and reservation system for Joomla and Wordpress.

player_one
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by player_one » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:43 am

I agree with everything itoctopus said, anyway we don't need to know who's fault it was. What's important, imho, is if you're going to reinstate the extension or not

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:46 pm

Thanks for the support

I only posted on this forum out of desperation. This issue was raised with the JED only a few days after the actual delete.

I have no problems with listings being unpublished if they do not meet the standards, but there is absolutely no need to permanently delete listings. Just unpublish them and relist them when they meet the standards again.

Of course if we had known, we would have immediately updated the entry to state it was 3.x compatible. Our first ticket with the JED was asking how it was possible that our extension had disappeared.

Still hoping someone will find it in their hearts to help us.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:52 am

player_one wrote:Hello, Jfusion is not in the JED anymore, as I read in this thread http://www.jfusion.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8820

Maybe you should look for a backup and restore Jfusion on the JED, because if we start leaving out the most powerful components then we can say goodbye to Joomla! to me, It's like you deleted JCE... You could say that the developer can submit a new listing, but what about all the reviews it had?

Please, do something. Thanks.
Please do something about this...

and all 3pds out there..pls update the JED every time you do some progress or new version etc .DONT YOU KNOW/UNDERSTAND ANYTHING ABOUT MARKETING???

--Fanno--> http://www.jfusion.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8820
Well looks like the removed it because i did not have time to change it's status that it works for joomla 3.0 so it was removed from the JED along with all the reviews and ratings..
This is not good enough if you not just develop something for your self...its a mistake.

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:56 am

You selectively quoted Fanno. His next line states he was unware (rather than not having time to update). The next line shows JED deleting the extension has made him throw in the towel........
They claim they sent out a warning about this but we never got it..

So i guess it is game over. I for now is not going to have energy to do everything all over again. At least not now when i am only active dev.

player_one
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by player_one » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:50 pm

Still no answers from the JED team...

Tessa Mero
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Tessa Mero » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:03 pm

Sorry all I have been quite busy with other projects, but I am catching up on forum support today. :-) I have brought in 2 volunteers to watch the forums about 4-5 months ago, but neither have made a single reply on the forum, so I am doing my best to take responsibility for this. Hopefully I can find replacements soon. (Anyone interested?) :-)

Now, I'd like to mention that I'd rather listen to everyone's opinion as a whole, than my own. So please understand that I'm on your side. That is the whole purpose of having a conversation and debate, so we can come to some kind of agreement. :-)

We are trying to keep all community support/feedback on our Jira issue tracker. If it's not there already, if you add this feature request, and let the community support the idea with comments, we can definitely make it a plan.

https://joomlaextensionsdirectory.atlas ... board.jspa

Thank you!
Tessa Mero

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:05 pm

I am a bit confused by your reply Tessa. Are you waiting for community feedback before making a decision on if our extension reviews can be restored? It has been many months since this has been raised. If you are unable to help, can you please pass the issue onto someone else in the team who can help.

We are a great open source community. Just like yourself we have been volunteering our time for free to the Joomla community. Our team has given away thousands of hours of our time to help others. Our software is open source and even our support is free. Is what the JED doing really in the spirit of the Joomla community?

I still can't understand why you had to resort to deleting extensions immediately. As a community we should not punish someone with the harshest option if they did not update their profile in time.

Your decision has devastated our main developer, who is ready to throw in the towel as the whole reputation of jfusion which took such an incredible amount of work has been wiped out overnight.

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:30 am

@Jfusion Team: I'm really sorry that this happened. I admit that I am not happy with the lack of concern from the JED staff about this case. I understand that you folks are busy, however this is a serious case that I would think should be near the top of issues to address. Jfusion was the most powerful bridge component for Joomla or at the very least gave the most stable integrations.

I understand purging extensions that have been unpublished for a long time to save space, however deleting an extension right away that is not breaking any rules of the JED does not seem ethical or logical. As I understand it an effort was made quickly from Jfusion to resolve this in a very timely manner. Surely there is a backup of the JED, even if it's from the older JED? Tessa, you were able to restore JoomGallery (I still appreciate you resolving this) which suffered the same thing Jfusion did. Except that JoomGallery's information was not purged and it was reported over a month from when it was unpublished.

I think an exception for the Jfusion team would be fair based on the fact that the Jfusion team responded swiftly to being unpublished and worked within good faith of being compliant to the JED's rules of compatibility.

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:29 am

Thank you for your support Josh

Tessa can you comment on why other extensions have been restored, but with JFusion you are waiting? Seems to me that people here would support reinstating JFusion and that this has been done for other extensions as well.

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:44 am

Hi Tessa,

If you can not help, can you please please escalate this issue to Matthew Baylor?

It is not cool what happened in the first place, that you have not acted on this issue for almost 6 months now and that you have helped other people in the same situation.

I have always been very polite to you. Please also be courteous to us.

Marius

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:06 am

Marius, I dont understand how this can not be fixed directly with the JED team too and with the new JED without escalate to Matthew Baylor. What I understand one of the reasons that the old JED should be replaced was the much better admin maintenance of listings that the new JED would bring to the table so this is not a good PR for the new JED.

Seems also as soon as you raise a very important issue now days and criticize something that make things better for the whole Joomla community you get feedback with a wrong attitude. You just want to help to improve.

**** I dont mean anyone personally here and about this issue here ok.

But then in the end you get frustrated when people are in the "I dont understand that I dont understand" dilemma but doesnt t r y to understand from another point of view. I have been there my self and its not a good way to learn/understand new things that can be done differently. Maybe its about culture, languages expression dilemma or whatever who knows.

Its seems that Joomla people doesnt understand a few things that you understand better then them and when you tell them that they get annoyed. I have given many 1000 of hours to support Joomla and especially 3pds, you know me Marius, in every way but now I get more and more disappointed how some Joomla people really think and I as many get very tired of its not possible to speak out with things you think is wrong, is not a good idea and even things that are stupid or working. **** I dont mean anyone personally here and about this issue here ok.

Marius
So Marius you have no reason to beg about being courteous, this should be fixed quickly long time ago if its already passed 6 months or a least get a quick reply back why nothing happens and who is responsible or if there is no one to take care of it.

Tessa Mero
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Tessa Mero » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:03 pm

mariusvr wrote:Hi Tessa,

If you can not help, can you please please escalate this issue to Matthew Baylor?

It is not cool what happened in the first place, that you have not acted on this issue for almost 6 months now and that you have helped other people in the same situation.

Marius

Hi Marius, I do not know what you mean by telling me I have helped people in the same situation. Please do not jump to conclusions and accuse me of this. Maybe another team member has helped the other developer who's not on the team anymore. I cannot find the person who has been doing this.

Like I said, we can escalate this issue to the JED team manager. If you submit a ticket saying "ATTN: Matt - Question about Deleted Listing" I will have him review the situation.

Be sure to link to this forum post to save time on going "back and forth" in conversation.

Hope this helps.
Tessa Mero

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:48 am

Tessa Mero wrote:Please do not jump to conclusions and accuse me of this. Maybe another team member has helped the other developer who's not on the team anymore. I cannot find the person who has been doing this.
Look at the quote from Josh:
Josh Lewis wrote:Tessa, you were able to restore JoomGallery (I still appreciate you resolving this) which suffered the same thing Jfusion did.
I am not jumping to conclusions, I am asking for an explanation for the comment from Josh.

I have created three tickets on the JED already, each time you closed this without providing any help or any possibility of providing a response (once closed you can not reply anymore)

Can you please explain why I need to have create a fourth ticket on the JED, when you have been aware and ignoring the issue for more than 6 months?

Tessa Mero
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Tessa Mero » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:20 pm

Like I said, I cannot assist you on this matter. The JED manager can. If you create a ticket with "ATTN MATT" so he can look at it, he will be able to provide a final answer, as he is not in charge of tickets and the only person who can assist you on this. Make sure you link to this thread.

If you choose not to, that's fine. I won't return to this thread as I'm only trying to help and not argue and escalate the situation. It's very unproductive.
Tessa Mero

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:06 pm

Hi Tessa,

So Josh Lewis is lying then?

I have created my 4th ticket on the JED as requested. If you look at the last tickets I have asked for this to please be escalated to your supervisor if you can not assist. Your response everytime has been to close the ticket.

I will continue to use this thread, as my experience has been that you just close the ticket without helping or providing for escalation to a supervisor. You could have already sent an email to Matt with a link to this topic if you wanted to be helpful.

Now a ticket is likely to sit in the JED again for weeks.

I have been extremely patient, my first ticket was submitted on the 9th of July.

PLEASE help!!!!

Tessa Mero
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Tessa Mero » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:23 pm

Still, you seem like you are in a "fight mode"....

I never said anyone was lying. Having this kind of attitude is only going to make this worse and not help you at all.

Thank you for submitting a ticket, although you didn't say "ATTN Matt" like I asked, but luckily the ticket system queue is at 0, so your ticket was the only one. I have emailed the jed manager and linked him to your ticket.

He will give you a final answer.
Tessa Mero

Return to “extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”