Plugin Approval Denied - Trademark violations in domain name

Here you can contact the editors of our Extensions site, as well as access infomation relating to this site.

Moderator: JED Team

Forum rules
Forum Rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
mysms-developer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Plugin Approval Denied - Trademark violations in domain name

Post by mysms-developer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:22 pm

Hi @all,

I wrote an alternative free plugin to jSecure and kSecure. I did this because many people where using jSecure. But jSecure is now a commercial plugin. kSecure has some implementation details I don't like. So I wrote plg_backendtoken. I did this for the community, and to support the Joomla! project. To make people happy.

Unfortunately my request was denied with the reason that my site ( domain name ) violates the Joomla! trademarks. At this point I was very confused, because my other extensions ( com_mysms ) are listed since october 2007. I wrote an short email back, with this fact.

The next email I received confuses me much more ! If the JED Member has more time, he will also delete/unpublish my other extensions !?!

In the last 3 years I worked a lot on my extensions, and also did a lot of support to the Joomla Community.

So I do not understand why my extensions should be removed ? At this point I started to think about, why I have to care about trademakrs in a OpenSource project. I definitely do not earn 1€ with this extensions. As I wrote I do this for the community.

Beside: I already reqeusted a permisson to use the Joomla! in my domain, several times. without response.

If the JED team remove all my extensions, my conclusion is to stop all work round about Joomla! and switch to another cms :/ sadly

mlipscomb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Plugin Approval Denied - Trademark violations in domain

Post by mlipscomb » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:22 pm

Over the last few years the Trademark Team and the Community Working Groups (the teams that handle the JED, JRD, JUGs, Forum, etc) have worked closely together to help protect the trademark and facilitate compliance.

Your currently-listed extension (com_mysms) and your new extension (plg_backendtoken) are on a site that is not in compliance with usage of the Joomla name. Any domain that uses the Joomla name in it must be submitted for approval to OSM.

I understand that you have submitted before, and I've checked and it shows you submitted today (8 Sep 10) for domain approval. I do notice that the disclaimer that is required is not in place on your site, so that could slow progress.

The JED works closely with the trademark team, so this should be fairly painless for you. Requiring a domain to be approved so that your listings can appear on joomla.org sites isn't too much to ask.

According to the JED Terms of Service (and all other joomla.org directories terms of service) any listing can be unpublished if not in compliance with both GPL and Trademark guidelines. That being said, we do work hard to work with you and not against you.

If you do not hear back concerning your domain, feel free to post here again or contact the team.
~Matt Lipscomb
http://www.USAFreelancers.org
Professional Joomla! Services and Web Development based in the USA

mysms-developer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mysms-developer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi mlipscomb,

many thanks for your post. 1 point from my side:
I do notice that the disclaimer that is required is not in place on your site, so that could slow progress.
This is not correct, please have a look at my disclaimer .( at the bottom of the site ).
http://www.joomlaconsultant.de/disclaimer.html. Ok the Joomla trademark notice is in german, but my whole site is in german, so it this maybe a problem ?

best regards,

lafrance
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by lafrance » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:54 pm

Hello mysms-developer !

Thank you for contributing to joomla project. As you have notice I did not unpublished any of your extension as of yet.
The disclaimer is always show at the footer of your web site not obscure on a link.
Doing so that way will slow the approval process.
Tip.
joomlaconsultant.de © 2007-2010. All rights reserved.
The Joomla!® name is used under a limited license from Open Source Matters in the United States and other countries. JoomlaTune.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Open Source Matters or the Joomla! Project.
VEL contributor @ http://docs.joomla.org/Investigation_of_exploits
OSM,Trademark and Licensing Team,jed editor
Please no pm direct contact irc freenode.net #joomla

mysms-developer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mysms-developer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi lafrance,

many thanks for your tip, it is ok to translate this in german ? As i wrote my site is only in german language available ? Or should i add this notice in english ?

lafrance
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by lafrance » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:24 pm

Hello!

Please do they have way to translate it.

Just wish a few other developer with the same problem would see there error and have there site approved faster

mysms-developer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mysms-developer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:30 pm

hi lafrance,

so i added the trademark notice in german at the bottom of my site. I hope this is ok so ? Can you please have a short look ?

Here is a direct link to google translate, there you can validate the germans translation.

http://translate.google.de/#de|en|Der%2 ... 20Projekts

lafrance
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by lafrance » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:35 pm

That is perfect will resend to T&M see if we can speed things up

mysms-developer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mysms-developer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:36 pm

many thanks to lafrance for the good cooperation :)

lafrance
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by lafrance » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:46 pm

hello!

Your welcome and again thank you for contributing to the community

Pierre

Return to “extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”