List of all extensions

Here you can contact the editors of our Extensions site, as well as access infomation relating to this site.

Moderator: JED Team

Forum rules
Forum Rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Loggy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

List of all extensions

Post by Loggy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:31 pm

I am setting up a series of Joomla! sites and I wanted to get a list of all possible extensions. The search facility on http://extensions.joomla.org is not too hot so I then looked to see whether I could download a list of all extensions with licence type, tags, contact details and possibly some sort of rating.

However I cannot find such a link... :(

Can anyone point me to such a link if it exists or do I have to trawl through lists of 6000+ no doubt excellent contributions to see what would be appropriate by hand? In 2011.....

The information is all in the appropriate tables I would have thought - or in a natural join or something like that.... ???

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: List of all extensions

Post by Tonie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:46 pm

As far as I know, there is no list like that available.

Loggy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Loggy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:48 pm

Thanks for the reply T.

Hmm. Is anyone on the site development team able to add such a facility?

It would be very useful to people trying to categorise the massive number of extensions!

The same for templates of course.

And (or) some upgrade to the search engine so that the results could be filtered and/or sorted would be useful.

Meanwhile I will plough through the editors' picks, top rated, most rated, most reviewed etc as some way of filtering things although I would not like to miss a new or otherwise useful extension. ;)

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:56 pm

I will move this to the Extensions Directory forum.

mlipscomb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mlipscomb » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:27 am

From here: http://extensions.joomla.org/search click on the "Advanced Search" and you can apply filters as desired.

I doubt that a list as you have suggested will be implemented as it would really only be beneficial for people to "clone" the directory.

Though I do agree that the current search feature isn't intuitive or very helpful, so that *is* being worked on.
~Matt Lipscomb
http://www.USAFreelancers.org
Professional Joomla! Services and Web Development based in the USA

Loggy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Loggy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:00 am

Thanks Mattt

I've seen the advanced search but they are all one-dimensional drop-downs. While (I presume) they can be applied together, what is needed is at least simple checks on each of the categories so that more than one of the options can be applied at the same time. It is not clear whether the categories are inclusive. I may want to select an extension in a certain area that is 1.5 native but not 1.6 (for some reason), has a rating greater than 4 star on a vote greater than 50.... (the errors in small voting numbers are too wide) and last modified (say) at least in 2010 (ie probably still active). As it is, the words wood, trees and see in some order spring immediately to mind! ;)

Rather than spending the time coding all such search options, it would be better to be able to download the essential contents of the database so that extensions could be selected offline. Such a list would be very useful to people looking for new extensions (that may not have made the editors' hit list), new-to-Joomla! people like me wanting to select a series of extensions, for rating and many other purposes, in a systematic manner. The fields could be selectable by a check-list (including the text, ratings, size, downloads etc but not any reviews).

If that means that some folk want to clone the directory or list, what is the problem there? It will get out of date of course but could be refreshed. After all Joomla! is about being open and available to all to use so I would have thought that any publicity would be helpful. :)

In addition I suspect it would present rather less load on the joomla.org servers....

Return to “extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”