The Joomla! Forum ™

Forum rules

Forum Rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:47 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Here is our case. I have written reports, used the tracking system of JED and didn't receive reply anywhere.

We have re-written the JomSocial search plugins to be compatible with Joomla! 1.7/2.5 about two months ago. In contrast to the version available for Joomla! 1.5, we decided to charge small amount for that.

However, it is two months now that passed and our JomSocial plugins (which are used even on people.joomla.org) and the new version is not yet published in JED (Joomla! Extensions Directory http://extensions.joomla.org). It was rejected twice for no reason.

Let me explain:
1. It is a package of extensions. First it was rejected, because in the XML file of the package I missed one line with the license. Still, each extension and file in the package has clearly stated that it is GPL. I placed the license line in the XML file and resubmitted it for publishing in JED.
2. It was then rejected again, because of "GPL non-compliance, not allowing redistribution". One month has passed since then. There is absolutely nothing that is not GPL in our extensions. There are no limitations of usage, redistribution or so on. I have no idea how the JED team come to the conclusion the extension doesn't allow redistribution. I resubmitted it and also opened a ticket in the JED ticket system. Well, guess what? Week passed and nothing happens again. Our extension was not approved in JED for two months now for no reason.

At the very same time, an extension added on 27 January (month later than ours) get published in JED, even that it is a pure fork of our work (with GPL headers removed). You can review the SQL statements, params etc. to see that the developer just copied our code and renamed few things. He has the right to fork it, but not to remove our headers. Here is the fork: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... arch/19183

Honestly, it all seems very strange to me, as we never had such issues till now. It really looks like someone doesn't want us to publish that extension in JED, in favour to the fork.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:00 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

OK, now I got the following answer (and rejection again), which explains why the extension was not yet approved:
You cannot have multiple listings for the same products. Your other listings of the JomSocial search plugins will be unpublished when this one is published.
-----------------------
But... there is an issue here:
1. The "other listings" are supporting Joomla! 1.5 only.
2. The current supports Joomla! 2.5/1.7. In comparison to the "other listings", this one is a package, that is NOT supported in Joomla! 1.5
3. The 1.5 version is free, while the 2.5 version is for charge - I can't have the same listing for free and for commercial extension.
4. The code is different.

There is no guidance how to proceed in such case?!?

And that doesn't solves the problem with the fork extension that was published.
And still it is stated that the extension is not GPL, which is simply not true. I really don't know how someone is considering this?!? In all files it is stated that the extension is GPL, we even don't have non-gpl extensions in our website, anywhere.

Honestly, please someone from the JED team to reply in public and to stop hiding from the anonymous system masks. It is simply not fair.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:28 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

So to conclude:
1. Our plugins that were forked were published in JED as being GPL, but our own work is not GPL - that's according to JED Team.
2. You can copy our work and it will get published in JED, however our own will not.

I am really disappointed from the attitude of the Joomla! Team towards this case. It can't get resolved for two months now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:21 pm 
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Its not my field but reading your posts, you include i assume a quote of an email to you, why not post the whole email for everyone to read in context.
that way the (i assume) private email to you will be published without the anonymous "system mask" (dont understand that comment).
As for the "other fork listing" - have you reported it?

Perhaps the invention of the ticket system was invented to protect the "silly errors" some developers make when they release an extension

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:24 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Hi, these are not e-mails. These are the messages I get in the listing in JED, when it gets rejected. As there is no sender, I don't consider these being private correspondence (excuse me if I am wrong).
Regarding the fork: Yes, I reported it.
Regarding the rest: I opened a ticket in Magma, but there is no response there.

I was advised to post here from some other developers, who suggested that there is a better chance to get feedback here than in the ticket system.

Thanks for your support.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:37 am 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Can you please give me a ticket ID? I don't see a ticket from you.
Kind regards,
Daniel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:06 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

The id is 942 - now I got an answer there from Matt Lipscomb.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:39 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

I am totally disappointed. Our plugin has been now completely deleted, while the fork is still there.

Thank you JED team.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:15 pm 
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

I assume that there was correspondence before your listing vanished?
Listings dont get normally deleted afaik, they get archived, totally different

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:32 am 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Hey Grigor,
I'll need to check with the other team members about the listing status(I don't think that it was deleted...).

About your GPL issue.
Yesterday Matt has trained me to review the listings and we went trough 2 of yours that were commercial. Everything is perfect with the package, but the problem is the license page on your site:
http://www.styleware.eu/terms-of-services

The part that says:
Quote:
Modifications

You are authorized to make any necessary modifications to the applications sold by us, in order to fit your purposes. You may not redistribute or release modifications that are licensed under this license to third parties. Porting of the applications to other platforms and content management systems and redistributing is strictly prohibited.

I know that this is part of your "Styleware Commercial license", but you will need to formulate this part better. Underline the fact that the commercial license is for software/applications that have nothing to do with Joomla.

I think that for the most part this issue is related to bad communication. We have failed to properly convey what part of the GPL license you are violating and that got you confused.

About the forks - We have your reports in the system. I'll investigate and will raise the issue to the more experienced Team members and we will decide what to do.

Kind regards,
Daniel