Extension removed after waiting more than 2 months

Here you can contact the editors of our Extensions site, as well as access infomation relating to this site.

Moderator: JED Team

Forum rules
Forum Rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
sakiss
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Extension removed after waiting more than 2 months

Post by sakiss » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:38 am

Hi

After waiting more than 2 months for approval, my extension was removed.

After the 1st review, an error was found which was fixed immediately and an X was put to the corresponding box.
Since then about 2 months have passed without my extension being reviewed and lately it was removed completely.

No error was reported because i was checking it alsmost every day.

So there are some serious issues here:

1. Which is the policy after an error was found?
This is what is the process:viewtopic.php?f=262&t=414756
Once a listing submission has errors marked on it, you loose your place in the approval queue. Once you have fixed the errors and marked the "Errors Corrected" box, an editor will re-review your submission as time permits
From the above it seems that there is no any clear procedure for that. It is put at the end of the queue? Is there some time that it is put aside? How much?
Shouldn't be a clear process known both by the reviewer and the developer?

2. The reviewing process seems to be handled 100% by the reviewer without existing any control.
Ok it is a volunteer based service but there should be some guidelines which should be followed and controled by someone.
In my case i also opened a ticket to see what is going on but i got a typical answer and my extension was finaly removed. From the above it seems that the reviwer was not even asked about what is going on.

I think that besides the fact that this is a volunteer based service, the JED is the main entrance of the users who are looking for an extension and businesses are taking it seriously in their planning. As such it should have some clear policies for everyone involved.

alikon
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Extension removed after waiting more than 2 months

Post by alikon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:05 am

Nicola Galgano
i know that i don't know
www.alikonweb.it

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by itoctopus » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:16 am

I agree with you.

I think there are some serious issues with the management of the JED. We submitted an extension back in July of last year, called Auto Tweets for K2. The extension was removed without any email sent to us (the only email we received from the JED was on July 9th 2013 telling us that it's pending approval). Even our login to the JED was wiped out.

We have created a few other extensions since and we shared them on our site hoping that we can be of help to the community.

I think the JED really needs a shakeup when it comes to how things work - the process for approving an extension is lengthy and far from transparent.

The JED is what makes Joomla a great product, and neglecting it (and/or politicizing it) doesn't help the community and certainly doesn't help Joomla in the long run.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by itoctopus » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:33 am

@alikon - I don't want to sound skeptical, but that work in progress that you're talking about is being executed by Fabrikar. While I do respect what they have offered to the Joomla community, I think they need to work more on their own projects before venturing into other territories. A simple thing that they can work on is a migration script from Fabrikar 2 to Fabrikar 3. It's a horrible experience and it needs to be done manually.

As for the rules and the policies - we all know that there are some horrible, horrible extensions in the JED: half-baked, badly coded, insecure, etc... How come these extensions made it to the JED and others didn't?

I think that the JED needs to move to an Android like system - where anyone can submit an extension for a fee (something like $20) and then it's up to the community to judge his extension. I think that's a much better alternative to waiting for months and then getting rejected.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

sakiss
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by sakiss » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:41 am

I agree with the fee if this is going to provide a better service in a shorter and more specific timeframe.
We also need a better support. I opened 2 tickets about my case and i received nothing more than a typical answer with links to the JED pages.

The way it works now makes it very difficult for a business to do any single planning.

alikon
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by alikon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:39 am

let me disagree, submit extensions for a fee don't solve the problem of horrible extensions, furthermore, there are a lot of good free extensions too, why they have to pay $20

P.S.
You can help from now, don't be afraid to click the "report extension" button
Nicola Galgano
i know that i don't know
www.alikonweb.it

sakiss
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by sakiss » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:36 am

submit extensions for a fee don't solve the problem of horrible extensions
Yes but the problem we have to solve is a more stable and a shorter reviewing process. Any ideas on how this can be done?
The fee could be for commercial extensions only. This coud possibly cover the fees of the non-commercial ones.

Dmitry Vadis
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Dmitry Vadis » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:40 am

Hi, I had exactly same experience – my extension disappear too while waiting for approval. Without any trace, without an email.

During reading of particular topic I realize that Joomla is still too amateur by it internal organization.
What is this? Somebody from editors can remove extension despite the extensions submitting rules that Joomla set. This is mature behavour?
So cure is obviously to jump to next level of Joomla evolution - to became more and more mature and more useful for all participants as, equally, for end users.
So as first step I totally agreed with need of fee to submit the extension.
And demanding after that strict transparency, right to no obstacles communication, speedy approval passing – all are as signs of maturing of Joomla.

So to best Joomla!

PS. What is moderators answer about that multiple issues?

Tessa Mero
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Tessa Mero » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:02 am

Hi All,

You can blame me for all of this, being the JED Listing Editor.

I agree with all of you on the horrible review process and rules. Especially the "deletion of listing" when it's pending for more than 60 days. That's ridiculous, but it's the current process!

LUCKILY, as we have mentioned several times, the entire JED is being rebuilt and the whole listing process will be automated. No more relying on our long hours of volunteer time to not get very far, and no more long waits for extension developers.

I can't wait either. :-) :-)

Regards,

Tessa Mero
Tessa Mero
JED Team Assistant Manager
Production Leadership Team Member

Dmitry Vadis
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Dmitry Vadis » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:21 am

Dear Tess, when exactly this planning to be happened and what type of care is reserves Joomla editors for us with, in such manner, deleted extensions – to submit again and wait to see same story?

With no communication and deleted extensions how developers, supposed, will be informed about any issue with their extensions.
Did you thinking that now may different treatment mast to be applied for us?

Tessa Mero
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Tessa Mero » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:56 pm

Hi Dmitry,

A listing is never deleted for no reason. Maybe you forgot to check the "Fixed" box. If it's deleted because it was sitting too long and you fixed the error, it's because you didn't check the "Errors Corrected" box, which will notify us to recheck it, otherwise it's on the pending delete list.

That should all be explained on the JED documents.

What do you mean about no communication? This will be the same thing applied when the JED is all automated. If you want to know how it works, you can refer to the JED requirements document. It's pretty detailed.

I promise you it will get rid of all the crappy processes and make things efficient and fast.

With a better user interface, it should prevent users from forgetting to check "Errors Fixed" so it doesn't get automatically deleted.

I hope you understand. There is no "Exact" date yet, but the developers building the JED is getting very very close, that's all I can say right now.

Follow the JED manager's blog to find the next news update.
Tessa Mero
JED Team Assistant Manager
Production Leadership Team Member

Return to “extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”