JED Account Supsension

Here you can contact the editors of our Extensions site, as well as access infomation relating to this site.

Moderator: JED Team

Forum rules
Forum Rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
broddr
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

JED Account Supsension

Post by broddr » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:55 pm

Is it common practice to suspend a user's JED account for leaving a negative review?

I left a bad review for an extension as a large proportion of the reviews were clearly fake.
I don't believe for a second that any extension will get 100% on everything, from everybody.
Besides that, I noticed several 'user reviews' that had the same text, word for word.

I reviewed the extension and gave it a bad score, mainly because, while it was in the free section, it actually had zero use without upgrading to the extravagant subscription system. This is an irritation which seems to be prevalent everywhere these days and I notice it is a hot topic on these very forums.

I mentioned in the review that I would find it difficult to trust developers who are clearly posting fake reviews to boost their own extension.

A day later, while browsing the JED site for other extensions, I noticed that my review had been deleted.

This in itself puts the whole review system in a shameful light. Either staff at the JED are deleting negative reviews, or the developers have enough sway over the JED to have negative reviews deleted.

Nothing I said was untrue and I wasn't insulting.

Either way, I left another review. I'll admit that one was a bit more near the knuckle.

The next day, the review has been removed and my JED account has now been 'permanently suspended'.

Can we believe anything on there?
Are all negative reviews deleted?
Does the JED suspend accounts of all 'troublemakers'?

xfsgpr
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: JED Account Supsension

Post by xfsgpr » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:00 pm

Is it common practice to suspend a user's JED account for leaving a negative review?
No it is not. Please post a link where you posted a comment and it resulted in your account suspended. I find it impossible because I like to see genuine comments from users because most of the extensions I have seen are completely useless and waste of time.

I was recently looking for a good Contact Form extension and I just gave up and went for JoomlaShines "JSN UniForm".

I like to try them before implementing them and also, I like to check the codes to be satisfied that there isn't anything dodgy.

broddr
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by broddr » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:09 pm

It is pointless to post a link as both of the reviews I left were deleted.

But here it is anyway.

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ty-builder

You will notice how CB is one of the 'Top Rated' extensions on the JED. It is easy to become a 'top rated' extension if you write your own reviews and have any negative reviews deleted.

xfsgpr
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by xfsgpr » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:43 pm

I can only assume that the language used in your comment was misunderstood by non-English speakers and so they decided that it is offensive, slanderous or libellous and so they decided to play safe.

Mind you, Joomla hasn't got the resources like WordPress to defend expensive court cases so they just don't allow anything that is critical.

Vimes
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Vimes » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:59 am

xfsgpr wrote: I find it impossible because I like to see genuine comments from users because most of the extensions I have seen are completely useless and waste of time.
That's most likely because the review scoring system is completely screwed nowadays. All the dross with fake and/or old reviews are floating to the top, while genuine products with real reviews are further down the list.
http://www.jomres.net THE online hotel booking and reservation system for Joomla and Wordpress.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:37 am

broddr wrote:You will notice how CB is one of the 'Top Rated' extensions on the JED. It is easy to become a 'top rated' extension if you write your own reviews
You should be very careful to makes statement you cannot proof. Community Builder has a long time presence in the Joomla community and is indefinitely highly regarded. We as a company have used it multiple time to create Social nets for clients to great satisfaction by clients.

I agree with 'Vimes' (who has 165 reviews for Joomres (which is also an excellent suite of extensions) in general about his JED-observation but @broddr you can hardly call 260 reviews for CB all fake?

@xfsgpr: You have not looked that well for a very good extension? Breezingforms http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ezingforms has only 769 reviews and is the top rated forms extension?

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

broddr
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by broddr » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:18 pm

You will notice how CB is one of the 'Top Rated' extensions on the JED. It is easy to become a 'top rated' extension if you write your own reviews.
CB IS one of the top rated extensions.
and
It IS easy to manipulate the flawed review system to make your extension one of the top rated, if you were so inclined.

I don't think that is disputable.

But now I am being pedantic and I apologise.

I could really understand that my second review was a little...inflammatory. I was annoyed that my original review had been deleted.

But my original review? I said nothing that was not true, at least in my opinion, and I did not say it in an insulting manner.

I simply said that the free version of CB was pretty much useless (and without the subscriptions, in my opinion, it is) and that I suspected foul play in the reviews as at least two reviews were carbon copies on one another.

I just think this is one of those cases where you can review the product, as long as you say something nice. What is the point of a review system when the reviews are censored?

I really don't believe all 260 reviews are fake. To be honest, I didn't read them all.

I simply find it hard to believe that any extension will get 100% across the board from every reviewer.

I gave up reading them after page three when I saw two separate reviews, written by two different people (apparently) with exactly the same wording.

muhammad zahid mahmood said:

"I used it to create a dating site, a corporate intranet & now the community for a sports team."

Richard Cevat said:

"I have used it to create a dating site, a coprorate intranet and now the community for a sports team."

Coincidence?
Or something fishy?

Even before that I was beginning to think the language used was very similar from review to review.

Tessa Mero
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Tessa Mero » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:51 pm

Hi Broddr,

As I am the assistant manager of the JED team, we do NOT suspend users, especially without a warning.

We have a suspension process that starts out as several temporary suspensions. We send out temporary suspensions email warning before making the suspension to give you a grace period to explain the circumstances.

If you were banned, then it was probably by accident, or maybe the system blocked you for some reason, or for another reason that is beyond what was said above.

Please send me an email at tessa.mero (at) extensions (dot) joomla.org and I am happy to assist you.

Thank you!
Tessa Mero
JED Team Assistant Manager
Production Leadership Team Member

JLinker
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JLinker » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:36 pm

I agree, it's a bit blunt to go after CB like that. It's been there for soooo long. It doesn't sound very fair to accuse them this way, at least with so little arguments. +1 for CB.
JLinker Facebook Tabs for Joomla, Virtuemart, Kunena, K2, JEvents, Hikashop, J2Store | JLinker Menu Generator | https://www.jlinker.com

Return to “extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”