Paperless Report Cards?

Topics having to do with education can be discussed here.
bryankaran
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Paperless Report Cards?

Post by bryankaran » Tue May 29, 2007 3:39 pm

Does anyone know of a module that would help create/manage paperless report cards?

steveoc
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Paperless Report Cards?

Post by steveoc » Wed May 30, 2007 7:34 pm

bryankaran wrote: Does anyone know of a module that would help create/manage paperless report cards?
Are you sure that you are prepared to take on the responsiblity of housing sensitive and confidential student information on the website? We are about to implement some such thing, but it will be separate software on somebody else's highly secure server (that has a team of security experts--not to mention liability insurance) wrapped within our moodle site.

Steve

bryankaran
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bryankaran » Wed May 30, 2007 8:22 pm

You're using 3rd party hosting and using the wrapper feature in Joomla to link to it?

steveoc
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by steveoc » Wed May 30, 2007 8:32 pm

bryankaran wrote: You're using 3rd party hosting and using the wrapper feature in Joomla to link to it?
We are using a 3rd party browser-based Student Information System. Once we are comfortable with it among the faculty and staff, we will probably roll out parent access using the wrapper, so that there is a look and feel of not leaving the site--yet the security wwould be handled by the SIS folks.

There is NO WAY I would take on the security responsibility of doing this within Joomla itself!

Steve

gebby3346
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gebby3346 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:55 am

We are also using a 3rd party Gradebook with the capacity to email report cards and progress reports. We have not wrapped it but we are comfortable with just linking the url. I agree with Steve on the liability issues and the security issues. We use a product called gradespeed and the parents have access to student grade, attendance, and reports.

Eric G
http://www.newfrontierscharter.org

BrotherPhil
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BrotherPhil » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:11 am

The site for the school where I work is Joomla based, but we use 3PD for our school information system (Renweb). I wish there was a way RenWeb, or some other SIS system would at least bridge, if not develop a Component/Module/Plugin solution to integrate their SIS into a school's Joomla based website!

Return to “Schools and Universities”