Access by IP

Discussion regarding Joomla! security issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security Checklist
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
flix
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Access by IP

Post by flix » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:34 pm

Hi there,

Is there a way to only allow certain ip-addresses to view a specific content? (module or whatever)

Like it is done with .htaccess for certain directories?

I need to allow only a certain subrange of my network to view a content without using password...

Thanks in advance

tomat
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Access by IP

Post by tomat » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:45 pm

i guess not...
All we can do is by blocking the IP Address for all content. otherwise by using the registered option

DominicWilson
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DominicWilson » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:53 pm

I would suggest thinking about using the wrapper function to allow you to have seperately generated pages in their own directory under the protection of .htaccess.

Whether this method is viable depends on how many pages you want to do this with and how many authentication varients you are looking for. A couple of 'logins' would probably be manageable. 10s or more would be a real problem to manage.

Other than that, unless I've missed something, I think you might have to wait for Joomla releases v1.2 and up. It's going to depend on what functionality the teams decide to settle on for these versions. There are certainly security and significant functionality enhancements on the way.

Sorry this probably won't help as much as you wanted. Let me know how you get on.

Nick

flix
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by flix » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:19 pm

I thought about the wrapper method as well, it might be an interim solution until something better comes up.
Only problem there is editing:
is there a way to edit a html file, which is included with wrapper, with online editors?

Felix

lalu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lalu » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:39 pm

or u can use deny,allow function on apache conf

Return to “Security - 1.0.x”