Host has detected Malware! Help!!!

Discussion regarding Joomla! security issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security Checklist
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
cmckeef
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Host has detected Malware! Help!!!

Post by cmckeef » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:38 pm

My host company contacted me and said that Malware was detected within a file on my site. The directory they said was "infected" is "../photos/docs/etc/royal-dumpe-dinner-threatre/map.html".

I searched through my media manager, scoured all the source code, tried to look up "royal-dumpe-dinner-threatre" (which is exactly that - a threatre), and followed the URL - which I'm pretty sure it is definitely some type of virus.

My site will be shut down if I don't find out how to get this file off my site. I have no idea where the file is; I have never even heard of it!

Please help, I don't know where else to turn.

Thank you.

SiteScriptors
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Host has detected Malware! Help!!!

Post by SiteScriptors » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:34 pm

You should be able to simply use your FTP client or Cpanel File Manager to delete the offending file. That should satisfy your hosting provider.

Then, and this is extremely important, run--don't walk--to the Joomla! Security Center and start reading! Start with the Joomla! Administrators Security Checklist and continue on from there.

In general, you're going to need to go through your log files and possibly work with your hosting service's tech support to see if you can figure out how the hacker got in. Then, you'll need to delete your entire site and restore it from a backup that you know is clean. By then, you've hopefully buttoned down your site so that it doesn't get hacked in the future.

Sorry to hear you got hacked, and good luck recovering!

BoardBoss
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by BoardBoss » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:37 pm

cmckeef wrote:My host company contacted me and said that Malware was detected within a file on my site. The directory they said was "infected" is "../photos/docs/etc/royal-dumpe-dinner-threatre/map.html".

I searched through my media manager, scoured all the source code, tried to look up "royal-dumpe-dinner-threatre" (which is exactly that - a threatre), and followed the URL - which I'm pretty sure it is definitely some type of virus.

My site will be shut down if I don't find out how to get this file off my site. I have no idea where the file is; I have never even heard of it!

Please help, I don't know where else to turn.

Thank you.
Hi - I run a hosting company, so let me give you my advice for deleting this file. Ask your hosting company to delete it. Since you can't find the file, maybe they already did. :)

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:03 pm

Deleting one file will not secure your site.

Check your PC for viruses etc.

Delete all folders/files and drop all the database tables.

Install a clean back up.

Update your Joomla

Read http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=432&t=475313
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

michael11
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by michael11 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Check out the google safebrowser report for your domain, it can give you as for where to find the problem. Search google.

BoardBoss
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by BoardBoss » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:37 pm

@ SiteScriptors Did you ever get a resolution for this?

hankin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hankin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:19 am

Try Sucuri.net I have had a similar problem and I'm in the process of trying to resolve this. Verisign has not detected the malware but sucuri did. Verisign are trying to fix the problem. Any news your end?

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:27 am

Hankin - Please do not post on old/abandoned topics.
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

Return to “Security - 1.0.x”