Joomla! Documentation Workgroup

Moderator: Documentation

Kibosh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Developing MVC Component tutorial

Post by Kibosh » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:24 am

Hey guy's,

Let me first thank you for all the hard work you guy's put into Joomla. I'm a complete n00b with php and I'm trying now to create my own component. For this I'm using the tutorial http://docs.joomla.org/Developing_a_Mod ... Joomla!1.7

I have some tips about this, or criticism (it's how you look at it)
  • A nice block diagram on how all parts stick together would be very helpfull. Models, view, tables, etc...
  • In the tutorial everything is named "HelloWorld". It's very hard to see the difference between all parts. What does exactly what? Where it comes and where it go's.
  • Also maybe add some more explanations in general.
So it might be better to create a tutorial with more then 1 view so things get a different name. Also create a little more options, so we can see it better. Or even add the text editor.

Maybe for a real dev, he understands this tutorial, but for me it's very hard. At this moment I'm stuck at the database part, getting only a white screen :(

But then, it could also be because I'm not a Dev.

EDIT: I'm a little further now, but yep: You should give the names, tables, forms etc all different names so n00bs can see better where everything go's. I'm only seeing HelloWorld... Oh Yeah, stuck again in the adding toolbar section ;)

danabc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Developing MVC Component tutorial

Post by danabc » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:07 am

+1

It can get a bit annoying when trying to follow the videos exactly and u still can't get to a satisfying result. Been having similar problems with the zend docs which is horrible..

xtempore
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Developing MVC Component tutorial

Post by xtempore » Tue May 01, 2012 2:49 am

Yeah, the tutorial has a lot of good info, but it gets a bit confusing towards the end when one is trying to adapt the concepts to a real world example.

I was following along pretty well, and using the ideas to create my own component, but started to really get confused with so many things called HelloWorld and HelloWorlds.

How about a slightly more real-world example, or at least a bit more distinction in the names?

Thanks!

Return to “docs.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”