Joomla Subcategories Project

For Joomla! 1.5 Coding related discussions, please use: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general
Dorksparky
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Joomla Subcategories Project

Post by Dorksparky » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:09 am

Omar,

Great job! I thought that I should join the crowd of folks cheering for you.

I have been struggling to comprehend Joomla for a year, and I just installed your patch and I created my first sub-category without any problems.

I wish I knew more PHP so I could help, guess I will just have to join the testers.

Do you think it will work with your ArtCats?

Thank You

Joomla ver 1.5.7
PHP ver 4.4.8

orware
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by orware » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:19 am

Dorksparky,

Most definitely it will work with ArtCats, and actually that's what I've been working on mostly the last couple of weeks (adding the subcategories support into ArtCats).

I've been having a little trouble with my development environment here at home though (makes it a bit difficult to debug) so it's slowed me down behind schedule, plus at work there's just tons of little projects so I don't have a lot of time there to work on this.

I'm slowly but steadily working on all of this though so I'm hoping that I'll be able to put out a new release pretty soon :-).

thering
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thering » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:37 am

I can't wait to see the finished product. What you're doing is great! I have a huge web site that has a separate site for each city we're in plus about 5-10 sections and then countless categories and subcategories. Your extension/program could save my life!! If you can believe it, we're currently coding every single page by hand. I can't officially move over to Joomla until there are sub sections and/or subcategories.

Dorksparky
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Dorksparky » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:17 pm

Just a note..

I was concerned when I realized that my new sub categories were not showing up on the category manager.

But when I went to the bottom, to the pagination and clicked for it to show all categories on one page, they all show up fine with nested categories displayed as nested.

Just thought I would put this up here for other noobs like me who might think it wasn't working.

wuffy77
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by wuffy77 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:34 pm

Orware,

Again, not wanting to put any pressure on you, but I think this is the most eagerly anticipated Joomla addition I've ever seen!

I can see the same complaint & feature request going back to 2005 and the fact you're finally doing something about it just rocks!

Can you give us a rough date when you expect this to be out? (you know, so all the visitors to Joomla.org can book days off work, send kids off to grandparents etc! :laugh: )

Thanks so much for this fabulous project (hope the web links sub categories will still work, as I need it for my Yahoo lookalike!)

rleathers
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by rleathers » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:00 pm

Just adding another success story. This patch functionality is great. Im using Joomla 1.5.7 in Legacy Mode

Backend:
1. I create a new category. Click APPLY instead of Save. Now put the subcategory in its proper order and SAVE.

2. Creating an "external" menu link to

Code: Select all

index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=45
where the ID of my new subcategory is 45.
Everything works like a charm.

Frontend:
Breadcrumb trail is perfect.
Home -> Section -> Category -> SUBCATEGORY -- when clicking my menu link

Home -> Section -> Category -> SUBCATEGORY -> Article -- when clicking an article from the list of articles for that category

You are a SAVIOR! Thank you!
Renea Leathers
Creative Reboot - http://www.creativereboot.com
Check out the Joomla! Magazine - http://magazine.joomla.org/
Nolite id cogere, cape malleum majorem.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:55 pm

This I find now here! Thanks for developing this for Joomla!!

Roomie
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Roomie » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:51 am

I too will add my agreement with rest of the people here, this is a great add-on to an already great CMS solution. I wouldn’t go as far as to call it a fault but the lack of this feature in the original release is definitely one of the biggest weaknesses of Joomla today. Great initiative and I hope all the praise you get here will encourage you to get through the hurdle of finishing this development.

Any news on a dedicated site for this? It could be really useful for anyone wanting to help out. If there would be a list of items to do people could register what they want to help out with just to minimize the risk of duplicate work.

As a last note, I will definitely apply this patch to my sites as soon as this is done.

Thanks!

OHMichelle
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by OHMichelle » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:48 am

This is exactly what I've been looking for - thanks for developing it.

I downloaded subcategories_patches-0.5_J1.5.7 and ftp'ed to my site.

I have reread all of the posts in this thread, but I don't see a post where it explains how to create the subcategories. I've looked at my sections, categories, articles, and menus and nothing looks different to me - I don't see subcategories referenced anywhere.

I would really appreciate a short post on how exactly this patch is to be used to create the subcategories.

Thanks in advance.

OHMichelle
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by OHMichelle » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:59 am

I have finally figured out how to work with the subcategories, but it's not working as I expected.

Section: Education
Category: Breeders education
Subcategories: Behavior
Conformation

In my main menu, I have
Education
|_ Breeders education: I want this to be a category to show all breeders education categories. But if I chose that, none of my articles that are attached to the subcategories show up. I want this to show the subcategories in a list.

Any suggestions on how I can do this? Without being able to do this, I'm afraid I don't have a solution to my subcategory needs.

Thanks,
Michelle

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:38 am

But it work in J 1.5.7 native?
rleathers wrote:Just adding another success story. This patch functionality is great. Im using Joomla 1.5.7 in Legacy Mode

You are a SAVIOR! Thank you!

theone2003a
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by theone2003a » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:06 am

Thanks!

Installed on joomla 1.5.7 (Out of the box), Native Mode (NO Legacy), SEF Enabled, Worked Seamlessly, Great Job

BTW Think this would be great to be added to the joomla core

parallaxd
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by parallaxd » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:12 am

Awesome that we've got subcats working now, but am wondering about going a little bit further with this.

What i need is the ability to use the category blog view to display this main cat, AND the items from its subcats.

so, kinda like we're using a section here, but instead would be the Category, and all its subs.

Any thoughts out there?

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:33 am

parallaxd wrote:Awesome that we've got subcats working now, but am wondering about going a little bit further with this.

What i need is the ability to use the category blog view to display this main cat, AND the items from its subcats.

so, kinda like we're using a section here, but instead would be the Category, and all its subs.

Any thoughts out there?
I think I understand what you mean and I like it a lot! Also coming back to other ideas and the Extending the Nested Sets Model with "Hardlinked Nested Sets" liberaries for this. ;D http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=47415

Joomla have a very good structure and strenght about setting up menu structures. If you could use this for enhance other Joomla core components integrated with this it would be terrific. I like those liberaries of JNBS http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=189840. The combination of gluing menus, categories(sections), modules and articles integrated with those rules parameters is a possible way forward I believe.

I am thinking of a new way to set up integrated parameters/attributes rules like time, language and category(ies) section(s) ids for standard and customized modules. Something like the MetaMod - display modules according to rules doing controlling other modules but extended modules settings/attributes even more for every Joomla modules http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/ make it working also with other Joomla component like Joomfish for language parameters.

What this will mean is that you can use and control that same module(s) to be displayed on more pages with those rules parameter/attribute settings. You set up every module with those settings like one Joomla core function where one example is the article where you can set the time when it should be displayed and or not be displayed. With languages you make the one main module with different dynamic sub module for different languages and specify the different language key(s) ids.

So instead of nodes you structure you display your main integrated modules with more parameters like language id, category id, section id, menu id, time id with dropp down listed ids that is in the system and reusing the main modules for that.

Roomie
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Roomie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:09 am

Anyone else here find it disconcerting that the thread starter hasn’t answered a post since mid October?

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:21 am

orware wrote:Dorksparky,

I've been having a little trouble with my development environment here at home though (makes it a bit difficult to debug) so it's slowed me down behind schedule, plus at work there's just tons of little projects so I don't have a lot of time there to work on this.

I'm slowly but steadily working on all of this though so I'm hoping that I'll be able to put out a new release pretty soon :-).
Well isnt this the reason? we have to be patient and wait. This is the cons with all open source projects - things take longer time than commercial projects.

Roomie
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Roomie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:02 am

Yes I can see how my post might have sounded a little bit harsh but my intention was merely to fish up some feedback.

ewel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by ewel » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:12 am

I am thinking of a new way to set up integrated parameters/attributes rules like time, language and category(ies) section(s) ids for standard and customized modules. Something like the MetaMod - display modules according to rules doing controlling other modules but extended modules settings/attributes even more for every Joomla modules http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/ make it working also with other Joomla component like Joomfish for language parameters.

What this will mean is that you can use and control that same module(s) to be displayed on more pages with those rules parameter/attribute settings. You set up every module with those settings like one Joomla core function where one example is the article where you can set the time when it should be displayed and or not be displayed. With languages you make the one main module with different dynamic sub module for different languages and specify the different language key(s) ids.

So instead of nodes you structure you display your main integrated modules with more parameters like language id, category id, section id, menu id, time id with dropp down listed ids that is in the system and reusing the main modules for that.
Last week I submitted an extension to the directory which was listed last night, Mod OnAnyPage. I think my module to publish other modules subject to conditions does most of what you want. If there is something else you would like it to do just let me know by posting in the forum on my website. MetaMod and Mod OnAnyPage have some overlapping functionality, but for some objectives the first is better and for other purposes the second. I think the focus of MetaMod is on geolocation, and the focus of my module is on content identification.
See http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

Thanks to ssnobben for pointing out this thread to me!

BTW there is also a thread on new features for Joomla dealing with this type of module publishing functionality. See http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=502&t=266002

khaled7
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by khaled7 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:52 pm

orware, all of us is waiting for you, i hope every thing is going well, if you could update us on the progress it will be great.

thanks.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:10 pm

Hi Orware,

any updates ?

rgds

angelducky
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by angelducky » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:23 pm

I checked orware's profile and it says he hasn't logged on since Nov 6 so I'm guessing he's swamped with stuff in RL. Hopefully he's going to come on soon and update us because I know I'm not the only one who checks this thread a lot :)

raphaelu
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by raphaelu » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:33 pm

Dear All,

I' m sure JOOMLA SUBCATEGORIES is the most wanted extensions in France.

Thanks you to try this and Good luck for you orware

We all need you !

wuffy77
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by wuffy77 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:19 pm

So new year, new version? ;o))))

angelducky
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by angelducky » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:06 pm

Not to be a pest orware, but could you at least let us know whether you intend to keep working on this? I know you must have been busy, especially with the holidays and such. Since it's been so long since an update I just want to be sure you're still going to complete the project sometime in the future. I don't even need a date or anything :)

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:06 pm

I tried this subcategory hack and it worked so and got it to work for making sub categories.

But it couldn't make the structure for seeing the category hierarchies when you want to publish an article to a subcategory. They are visible there but you dont see them in a subcategory hierarchy view.

Like;

section A
-category1
--category1:1
---category1:1:1
---category1:1:2
etc

When I then installed the GMaccess http://www.eduvs.ch/gmaccess/index.php? ... access_5-8 to use with this... then I screw everything up so I gave up on this. :D

will see if there is a new hack free version coming up or that Joomla core devs wake up to make this into the core... :p

So would be happy to hear some news about this important Joomla core enhancement!

roosjen
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by roosjen » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:33 am

Hello Orware,

I too am awaiting the completed version of your subcatagories patch! I have installed your latest version on a local WAMP environment Joomla! version 1.5.8 native and it seems to work as you said.

The back end works fine, although I eagerly await the 'fix' that a list of possible parent categories appears as soon as you pick a section for your new (sub)category, instead of having to pick the section and press 'apply' first.

In the front end I do not seem to get the results I hoped for. I made a menu
called Excercise Database (for volleyball excercises), showing a list of sections (Warming Up, Service Game, Side-out Game). In the section Warming Up I created the categories 'Movement Types' and 'Stretching'. For 'Movement Types' I created the subcategories 'With Ball' and 'Without Ball'. I placed testarticles in both 'With Ball' and 'Without Ball':

Menu 'Exercise Database'
|_ Section 'Warming Up'
....|_ Category 'Movement Types'
........|_ Subcategory 'With Ball'
............|_ Article 'Simultaneous Dribbling'
............|_ Article 'Dribble Thief'
........|_ Subcategory 'Without Ball'
............|_ Article 'Skippings & Trippings'
....|_ Category 'Stretching'
|_ Section 'Service Game'
|_ Section 'Side Out Game'

For my sections, I chose the 'Articles - Section List' view.

Now, in the website front end, I click on 'Warming Up' and the following list appears:
'Movement Types'
'With Ball'
'Stretching'
'Without Ball'

So, instead of only showing the categories in the section 'Warming Up', the list also shows the subcategories. This would not even be too bad, but if I click on 'Movement Types', I get an empty list instead of a list of the subcategories 'With Ball' and 'Without Ball'.

From what I was able to gather from the thread, Orware has not yet gotten to fixing/building this. Am I right, or did I miss something vital and has this already been solved?

Either way, Orware, thank you so much for starting this module. It is precisely what I need to build a multi-layered exercise database on my website and I cannot wait for you or someone else to finish it. If only I knew how, I would finish it myself... :D

koguja
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by koguja » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:02 pm

Hi Orware,

I has tested this package with Joomla! 1.5.9 (I made upgrade from Joomla! 1.5.7 and compare with new files )

and now all working fine :)

Thanks for nice work
subcategories_patches-0.5_J1.5.9.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:51 am

Thanks Koguja!

I also have the problem as roosjen mention having the category tree hierarchies showing up with correct structure tree for the different subcategories when adding an item to a subcategory.

It must be something about the view that make this not showing up in correct subcategory hierarchies structure so you can ad an item correctly to the right sub category.

This is a problem if you have a lot of categories with similar structure name for subcategories but also with different subcategories name. You dont know where they belong!

You dont know which subcategory belonging to which subcategory bcs you cant see and follow the hierarchy tree correctly and add the item to that correct subcategory of your choice.

Koguja is this working now too???

best regards!

koguja
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by koguja » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:18 am

darb wrote:
Koguja is this working now too???

best regards!
No :( .

At present , I don't have solution for this problem.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:02 am

Ok hmm would be nice if this core function would be implemented in the new J 1.6 with new ACL as well. :(

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Coding”