Inserting content via external script

For Joomla! 1.5 Coding related discussions, please use: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general
cormanaz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Inserting content via external script

Post by cormanaz » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:50 pm

Hello. I am using Joomla as a knowledge management system for a grant project. We have a listserv for this project, and I want messages posted to the listserv to be inserted in a section of my Joomla site.

Having found no up-to-date extensions that will do what I want, I am considering writing a script (probably in PERL) that will run as a cron job, check a mailbox every so often, then insert any found messages into the jos_content table of the Joomla db.

I have three questions about this. (1) Is it a bad idea to do this? (2) Do I have to deal with any table besides jos_content to make an addition? (3) All the fields in jos_content look pretty straightforward except publish_up; how does the time in that get set?

TIA,

Steve

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Inserting content via external script

Post by imanickam » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:28 am

(1) No not at all. I saw an extension that allows users to send the contents as SMS message or email. You could look at these extensions at http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... roblogging

(2) I do not think so. You will be dealing with only jos_content as long as you know what section and category the article belong to.

(4) I notice that The publish_up date is same as that of created_date. The publish_up is used for making the article available for view in the future. This facility provides you with the ability to publish the article whenever it is ready for future publication.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Coding”