Compability with MariaDB in future?

For Joomla! 1.5 Coding related discussions, please use: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general
darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Compability with MariaDB in future?

Post by darb » Wed May 27, 2009 3:50 pm

I just want to make some notice of a new (old) variant of MySQL from founder and hope that Joomla community look into maybe use this database engine too. Especially with Oracle and Sun take overs...who know whats happen in future?

What is MariaDB?

"MariaDB is a community developed branch of the MySQL database that uses the Maria engine by default."

What is the goal of MariaDB?

"To provide a community developed, stable, and always Free branch of MySQL that is, on the user level, compatible with the main version. We strive for total interoperability with our upstreams and our own community.

MariaDB will be kept up to date with the latest MySQL release from the same branch. For example MariaDB 5.1 will be kept up to date with MySQL 5.1.

We will do a merge from the MySQL branch for every new MySQL release or when there is some fatal bugfix applied to the main branch.

We strive to keep our main trees as free from bugs as possible. It should be reasonably safe to pull from our trees at any time. We work to provide builds of the main branch and active development branches every month."

http://askmonty.org/wiki/index.php/MariaDB
Last edited by darb on Thu May 28, 2009 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Compability with MariaDB in future?

Post by Tonie » Wed May 27, 2009 6:06 pm

Sooner or later a big software company will buy MySQL, and it's smart to look for alternatives before this happens...
I do hope you are joking :D

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Thu May 28, 2009 2:22 am

darb wrote:I just want to make some notice of a new (old) variant of MySQL from founder and hope that Joomla community look into maybe use this database engine too. Especially with Oracle and Sun take overs...who know whats happen in future?

What is MariaDB?

"MariaDB is a community developed branch of the MySQL database that uses the Maria engine by default."

What is the goal of MariaDB?

"To provide a community developed, stable, and always Free branch of MySQL that is, on the user level, compatible with the main version. We strive for total interoperability with our upstreams and our own community.

MariaDB will be kept up to date with the latest MySQL release from the same branch. For example MariaDB 5.1 will be kept up to date with MySQL 5.1.

We will do a merge from the MySQL branch for every new MySQL release or when there is some fatal bugfix applied to the main branch.

We strive to keep our main trees as free from bugs as possible. It should be reasonably safe to pull from our trees at any time. We work to provide builds of the main branch and active development branches every month.
"

http://askmonty.org/wiki/index.php/MariaDB
Developing support for mariadb would be relatively trivial, an if it is a compatible branch, it may even be possible to use it already by simply entering the data for your maria db into your Joomla! configuration.

Ian

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Thu May 28, 2009 7:22 am

Especially with Oracle--->and ---> Sun--->MySql take overs...who know whats happen in future?

What I mean is how Oracle will handle MySQL in future bcs they already have bought Sun and Sun bought MySql....

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Thu May 28, 2009 1:01 pm

darb wrote:Especially with Oracle--->and ---> Sun--->MySql take overs...who know whats happen in future?

What I mean is how Oracle will handle MySQL in future bcs they already have bought Sun and Sun bought MySql....
The issue with DB support is SQL syntax. I would imagine, that due to the widespread use of MySQL, that there will be quite a demand for a good amount of time for a database that handles queries using the syntax that MySQL uses and with the same syntax. Since MySQL is open source, it is quite feasible that even if Oracle were to drop MySQL or mangle it in some respect, some group of open source developers would pick up the ball and continue development (perhaps the MariaDB team, perhaps someone else).

As I stated in my last post, I would imagine that if MariaDB is a fork of MySQL that doesn't constant merging, then the interface would be the same, the SQL syntax would be the same, and for all intensive purposes, it would look the same. Thus, I would guess that if you were to install MariaDB, get it configured and set up, that you could simply select MySQL database in Joomla!, enter your server location and your credentials and your port, if necessary, and click go, and it would continue about as normal.

In the event that for some reason they did change the interface, all that would be required is for somebody to develop a new PHP module to support the new database interface and a database connector object in Joomla!, which would likely be fairly trivial to write.

The challenge with Joomla! supporting multiple database engines is mainly one of SQL language, as SQL is not consistent or uniform across platforms. So long as this syntax stays the same, there should be few issues.

Ian

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:54 am

Another interesting DB to look into for Joomla support is the the world's leading graph database Neo4j. Neo4j offers performance improvements on the order of 1000x or more compared to relational DBs.
http://blogs.neotechnology.com/news/201 ... se-10.html

Neo4j version 1.0 is available both under a free open source license from www.neo4j.org, and under a supported commercial license from Neo Technology.

"Like many other successful Web 2.0 companies, Box.net has seen its share of pressure to deliver a high performance customer experience on a relational database like MySQL. Having experienced Neo4j first hand, I have to say that it is a god send. Neo4j significantly outperforms MySQL, with a drastically simplified programming model." said Sam Ghods, VP of Technology with cloud content management provider Box.net.

theLoneDeranger
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by theLoneDeranger » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:50 am

I don't know about MariaDB and compatibility issues... should be no problem as long as it's same syntax, interface etc

I do know there's incompatibility issues between me and Maria... She just left me :-(
In Chinese the word 'crisis' consists of two characters. One means 'danger,' the other 'opportunity.'

bmmcwhirt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bmmcwhirt » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:34 am

I know this is an OLD thread but since it has come to pass I figure it warrants looking at again.

http://monty-says.[URL banned].com/2011/09/ ... sions.html

Basically Oracle is closing the source of core parts of MySQL. For now it remains free for non-commercial use. When commercial licensing begins hasn't been decided and you will always be able to use older open source versions. However if exploits are found you will be vulnerable.

Adding support for MariaDB is becoming essential.

skidz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by skidz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:14 am

:) I just seen this, I use joomla 1.5 with mariaDB already, have for about 2 months now.. no issues..

bmmcwhirt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bmmcwhirt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:26 am

skidz wrote::) I just seen this, I use joomla 1.5 with mariaDB already, have for about 2 months now.. no issues..
Yes the problem with that is there ARE differences for now they don't affect much. And with this there will be greater and greater differences breaking the mysql miriadb compatability.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:05 am

Percona db also is good and would be great if Joomla have support for..

http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/201 ... sql-users/

http://www.percona.com/software/

bmw
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bmw » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:35 pm

I saw this old posting and want to share this from my webhost.
"We are happy to announce the official support of MariaDB with the XtraDB engine. We are now supporting MariaDB with XtraDB replacement INNODB engine as a compatible drop-in replacement for MySQL. In house testing has shown an average 50% speed increase for tuned MyISAM configurations and an average of nearly 3x performance over the stock INNODB at 8 threads. If you are using database heavy CMS systems, forum software or ecommerce packages, you will benefit from MariaDB. MariaDB won't fix any MySQL errors you are having but it will increase database performance."

This should also help with components like CiviCRM which performs slower than Joomla using INNODB on MySQL.

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Coding”