How do you Change the Date format?

General questions relating to Joomla! There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ViperFish
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: How do you Change the Date format?

Post by ViperFish » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:34 am

Is there any reason you are persisting with J1.0.15? It has reached end of life now and you really should be looking at upgrading the site to Joomla1.5. The vast majority of people on this forum won't be using J1.0 and probably haven't been for the past year or so.

TheWebGuy
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by TheWebGuy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:02 pm

Is there any reason you are persisting with J1.0.15?...The vast majority of people on this forum won't be using J1.0 and probably haven't been for the past year or so.
Yes, there is a reason I'm still using J1.0.15 as I have a tremendous amount time invested in customization on J1.0.15 and it's a corporate website. I don't have the time and it wouldn't be worth it to completely redesign and customize the site to use J1.5+...
Like I said I do use both versions and am familiar with 1.5+ (or is it 1.6+ now?)...but I take this approach:
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
and
"just because it's new doesn't mean it's better"
The main issue I have with Joomla is the continual need for "upgrades" I think there have been 12-15 now since the 1.5+ release. I don't have the time to constantly monitor and make these updates. Plus, there are a couple of main issues I find quite annoying in J1.5+ that make it unreasonable for me to work with...I guess it's a personal preference issue.
Now can anyone answer my question? :D

Is there a way to CHANGE THE DATE FORMAT in the ADMIN section of J1.0.15?

Thanks,
WebGuy
I know it's better to teach a man to fish...but if that man is starving, he'll die before he catches a fish. So do him a favor, feed him first...then teach him to fish.

Dannanda
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Dannanda » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:08 pm

Nice one.
Btw, do we have to do the same thing after each update of joomla?
Is it possible to make the date look something like 12 Nov 2009 or 12 Nov 09?
If so, how?
Thanks
Danny

N6REJ
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by N6REJ » Mon May 17, 2010 1:03 am

I'm having the same problem, I cannot for the life of me get the date in articles to publish properly. Part of it is right other parts are wrong. I've modified the .ini's and even installed the american language pack. I"m at a complete loss here.
Capture.JPG
date.jpg
Front end gb.ini

Code: Select all

# Date format

DATE_FORMAT_LC=%A, %B %e %Y
DATE_FORMAT_LC1=%A, %B %e %Y
DATE_FORMAT_LC2=%A, %B %e %Y %H:%M
DATE_FORMAT_LC3=%B %e %Y
DATE_FORMAT_LC4=%m/%d/%y
DATE_FORMAT_JS1=m-d-y
# %Y-%M-%D=%Y-%M-%D
%M-%D-%Y=%M-%D-%Y
%A, %B %E=%A, %B %e
admin gb.ini

# Date format

DATE_FORMAT_LC=%A, %B %e %Y
DATE_FORMAT_LC1=%A, %B %e %Y
DATE_FORMAT_LC2=%A, %B %e %Y %H:%M
DATE_FORMAT_LC3=%B %e %Y
DATE_FORMAT_LC4=%m/%d/%y
DATE_FORMAT_JS1=m-d-y
# %Y-%M-%D=%Y-%M-%D
%M-%D-%Y=%M-%D-%Y
%A, %B %E=%A, %B %e
I'm completely at a loss here. I have community builder installed if it matters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bear

ursitesion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ursitesion » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:07 pm

Changing date format in datepicker(calendar) is so easy. If you want to change the date format in whole website, you can change the format in the /languages/english.php file.
DEFINE('_DATE_FORMAT','l, F d Y');
Attention: Changing in language file will affect everywhere with all the modules and components.

Safer way: But, if you want to change the date format in a particular module or component, please go to the componentname.html.php file of the component or modulename.php file of the module and just before using the calendar, write down following line of code:

<script language="javascript">
Calendar._TT['DEF_DATE_FORMAT']="mm/dd/y"; // British format here, u can change any format.
</script>

Now, calendar will take the date in the specified format. You can save as well as process the date as you wish.

For example, in the above specified format, I have used mm//dd//y format, then calendar will pick the date as "08/10/2010". Since MySQL save the date in YYYY-mm-dd format. So, please convert the date format in mysql compatible fomat and then save.

Hope it will help to solve the date issue in Joomla1.0.x version.

N6REJ
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by N6REJ » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:32 pm

ursitesion wrote:Changing date format in datepicker(calendar) is so easy. If you want to change the date format in whole website, you can change the format in the /languages/english.php file.
DEFINE('_DATE_FORMAT','l, F d Y');
Attention: Changing in language file will affect everywhere with all the modules and components.

Safer way: But, if you want to change the date format in a particular module or component, please go to the componentname.html.php file of the component or modulename.php file of the module and just before using the calendar, write down following line of code:

<script language="javascript">
Calendar._TT['DEF_DATE_FORMAT']="mm/dd/y"; // British format here, u can change any format.
</script>

Now, calendar will take the date in the specified format. You can save as well as process the date as you wish.

For example, in the above specified format, I have used mm//dd//y format, then calendar will pick the date as "08/10/2010". Since MySQL save the date in YYYY-mm-dd format. So, please convert the date format in mysql compatible fomat and then save.

Hope it will help to solve the date issue in Joomla1.0.x version.
This is not about 1.0, its about 1.5.x And if MySQL requires date in YYYY format then how will changing the date to US format work for those unless a date converter is ran b4 each querie?
Bear

ursitesion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ursitesion » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:18 pm

HI N6REJ,
Sorry for my late reply. Before save the date in mysql table, you have to convert the date in 'YYYY-mm-dd' (if data type is date) or 'YYYY-mm-dd H:i:s' (if data type is datetime).

Just describe me your date related problem if I am wrong.
When u use the date picker to select the date for providing start and end publishing value, time part is wrong.

Please confirm me so that, I can resolve the issue.

Regards,

N6REJ
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by N6REJ » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:12 pm

ok.. Its been a while since I visited this issue so I'll have to start from square one. But I"ll keep in mind ur answer.. ty.
Bear

kleinb44s
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kleinb44s » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Silmeron wrote: 1. Navigate to the language\en-GB folder in your Joomla install.
2. Edit the en-GB.ini file.
3. Change the date formats near the top. The parameters you see there (that is %A, %H, etc.) are replacements for the formatting of the date. The available parameters can be found in the PHP link in the above post.
I wanted to show the Modified date, but I did not want to show the modified time. Changing LC2 to DATE_FORMAT_LC2=%A, %d %B %Y did this (remove %H:%M from the line". You can see the results here: http://www.larringtontrailers.com/gallery
As you can see, my dates are now in the format "Last Updated on Tuesday, 12 October 2010" with no time mentioned :-)

Hope this helps someone else - it took me ages to find this thread!

RAZAX
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by RAZAX » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:58 am

Hii,
just download translation manager at Joomla Extension Directory.
installation as component.
At Client title choose site then at Files title will show the total of file pls click
next at the top file call [core] click. That all and you can edit en-gb.ini
in my case I make changes to article metadata DATE_FORMAT_LC2 from %A, %d %b %Y %H:%M to
%a, %d %B %Y %H:%M.
or from original Friday, 28 January 2011 12:08 to Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:08.
Chalo!!!

butlins12
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by butlins12 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:56 pm

The answer for me (basically, I didn't want the time showing, just the date which is DATE_FORMAT_LC1) is the edit the HTML override files. I'm using the Beez overrides for most of my sites by default, and just searched through for LC2 and replaced with LC1.

romaba
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by romaba » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:51 am

ViperFish wrote:Open the file administrator/language/en_GB/en_GB.ini. On about line 14 change the %d and %m elements around.

DATE_FORMAT_LC4=%m.%d.%y
The file path may not be "en_GB". Depends on your selected language.
Thanks ViperFish. This worked for me.

anniebee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by anniebee » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Sorry if this is redundant, but adding in case this can help anyone. I edited the en_gb.ini files using this guide to know what the letters mean:

http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl1_date.htm

gogam
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gogam » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:35 am

In Catalan Translation, there is a line missing, so JLIB_HTML_BEHAVIOR_TT_DATE_FORMAT doesn't get converted to a more "human" date format. In order to fix this, add this line to ca-ES.lib_joomla.ini:

JLIB_HTML_BEHAVIOR_TT_DATE_FORMAT="%a, %b %e"

in between:

JLIB_HTML_BEHAVIOR_TODAY="Avui"
JLIB_HTML_BEHAVIOR_TT_DATE_FORMAT="%a, %b %e"
JLIB_HTML_BEHAVIOR_WK="st"

Return to “General Questions - 1.0.x”