better joomla content editor?

General questions relating to Joomla! There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
reinhota
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

better joomla content editor?

Post by reinhota » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:05 am

I am using the tinyMCE WYSIWYG editor.  Is there a better one out there there is more straight forward and most importantly easy enough for my 12 year old students to use without asking questions?  Ideally it would have an easy in text image attachment function.

Editor suggestions/tutorials/links would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

quiquedcode
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: better joomla content editor?

Post by quiquedcode » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:37 am

mosCE by Far !
@kabeza
Freelance Joomla/CodeIgniter Developer
Home: http://www.beza.com.ar

reinhota
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by reinhota » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:31 am

I agree!  I just ran the demo on their site and it works exactly like I want.....

the problem is I installed it.....but the Tiny WSIWYG editor keeps being shown.  I have disabled it though!  Im confused!

Help!

Thanks,

Todd

godawful
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by godawful » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:41 am

judging by responses to other questions, and my own limited experience, you have to enable that editor in all user accounts individually. I.e. if you make MosCE the default editor in your global configuration when logged in as administrator, it will only be default for the administrator account.

sam1970
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by sam1970 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:48 pm

Hi

It will be nice if your 12 years old students start learning the right way by introducing basics html elements
Hard in the beginning, but think of what they can gain in the long run :)

MosCe is very heavy and still unstable which might give you errors in future Joomla Upgrades.

Sam

WebJIVE
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by WebJIVE » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:53 pm

sam1970 wrote: Hi

It will be nice if your 12 years old students start learning the right way by introducing basics html elements
Hard in the beginning, but think of what they can gain in the long run :)

MosCe is very heavy and still unstable which might give you errors in future Joomla Upgrades.

Sam
I agree with sam1970.  I have tried ALL of them (e.g. TinyMCE, MosCE, FCKEditor, etc) and they are all heavy for my needs.  Where they get slow is in the initial load and heaven forbid you have a large selection of folders and images in your "images folder".  That will cause the image manager to come to a crawl.

Hopefully someone will step up to the plate and build a light weight AJAX based editor with directory caching to overcome some of these limitations.

Regards,
Eric
Little Rock SEO, Arkansas Web Design, Hosting, and Review Management
http://www.web-jive.com

vividweb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vividweb » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:02 pm

I have also found that mosCE does not work properly in a shared hosting enviroment.  When trying to add in images you receive a Direct Acces not allowed error (or something similar).  Which seems to be a common problem but has no fix.

reinhota
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by reinhota » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:51 pm

Ok I installed it....it is showing up when I go to create new content....however it is not allowing me to enter anything in the content field of the editor. 

Thoughts?

Return to “General Questions - 1.0.x”