[SOLVED] .htaccess locally via XAMPP????????

General questions relating to Joomla! There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
vavroom

[SOLVED] .htaccess locally via XAMPP????????

Post by vavroom » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:10 am

Hello you wonderful people  :P

I'm working on a site locally on my Win XP Pro box, using XAMPP.  So far so good :)  Been doing this a while, either with MSAS or XAMPP now.

Until now, I always waited until the site was up on a "live" server to turn SEF on and install anything related to SEF.  This is a bit of a PITA. Particularly when it comes time to put internal links in content items.

So, I thought I'd try it on my local machine...  Off course, Windows Explorer won't let you rename a file starting with a period...

So off to Run>CMD I go.  Rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess.

Results:
Server error!

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there was an error in a CGI script.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 500
localhost
09/19/05 12:05:41
Apache/2.0.54 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.8 PHP/5.0.4 mod_autoindex_color
As anyone successfully done this silly human trick?  How did you do it?
Last edited by vavroom on Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joomlaturk
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: .htaccess locally via XAMPP????????

Post by joomlaturk » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:28 am

you can use notepad and save the file with this filename    ".htaccess"
you need to have  quotes at both end 
joomla 1.6 Türk destek sitesi http://www.joomlaturk.net/

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:42 am

Or use your editor
- do a "Save As"
- then Save as Type, select All Files (*.*)
██ LibreTraining

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:52 am

Another option is to hack Apache httpd.conf to your liking. When you configure this the way you want, you don't need the htaccess file.I'm not sure how I did it on my testbed at home, but I will take look.

Websmurf
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Websmurf » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:08 am

Nic, my first guess is that you are either not allowed to overwrite mod rewrite settings in a .htaccess file, or mod_rewrite isn't enabled on your local machine.

Could you check if mod_rewrite is enabled on your local environment?

Also, check if there's a more specific error in your error_log file. (should be in the apache directory somewhere)
Adam van Dongen - Developer

- Blocklist, ODT Indexer, EasyFAQ, Easy Guestbook, Easy Gallery, YaNC & Redirect -
http://www.joomla-addons.org - http://www.bandhosting.nl

vavroom

Post by vavroom » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:13 pm

Reviving this thread!  I somehow got sidetracked on this issue and only now am getting back to it :-/ Sorry I didn't respond to you guys before this.

@mamboturk & Ken, thanks, that worked, I was able to rename the file to .htaccess, and it seemed to work without a problem.

@Tonie, not knowing what I'm doing in httpd.conf, hacking around is not something I think wise to do. ;)  I did, however, find a post (on WordPress of all places) that pointed me to removing the hash (#) before the following line:

Code: Select all

LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
@Adam, I think that removing that hash is what needs to be done ro enamle mod_rewrite, right?

Now, with both the .htaccess and the mod_rewrite enabled, I still get the following error:
Server error!
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there was an error in a CGI script.
Looking at the error_log, I find the following error:
[Sat Dec 31 01:04:23 2005] [alert] [client 127.0.0.1] C:/Program Files/xampp/htdocs/105/.htaccess: Invalid command 'RewriteEngine', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
Which seems to tell me that mod_rewrite is NOT working, despite me enabling it (or thinking that I did anyway).

Soooo, guys & gals, what would you suggest my next step is?  (other than taking a long jump off a short pier? ;) )

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year ;)

vavroom

Post by vavroom » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:01 pm

Errm
[me=vavroom]blushes[/me]

Problem solved...  I had overlooked to restart apache!  Doh!

All working sweetly now :)

100gods
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: [SOLVED] .htaccess locally via XAMPP????????

Post by 100gods » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:45 pm

Hello,

I have been using Joomla on my local machine.

Recently, I got this error message and I cannot access my admin panel. The local site works fine.

" Server error!

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 500
localhost
09-04-2012 18:01:17
Apache/2.2.14 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8l mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.3.1 mod_apreq2-20090110/2.7.1 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1 "

Please suggest. I am a beginner, this being my first joomla site.

Thanks !

Return to “General Questions - 1.0.x”