What is the difference between Blog & Article from the Joomla perspective?

General questions relating to Joomla! There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
joomlan
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

What is the difference between Blog & Article from the Joomla perspective?

Post by joomlan » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:24 pm

Hi,

I wanted to know what is the difference between Blog & Article in Joomla ? Are they considered different ? If yes then why in the CB, under articles & Blogs tab in the user profile, same content is shown ? In other words, the same articles are also shown under Blog tab ??

thanks

AmyStephen

Re: What is the difference between Blog & Article from the Joomla perspective?

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:34 pm

In Joomla! when you see the word "blog" it is basically saying a SET of articles where only the introductory text is showing. These are on your category-blog or section-blog pages. The "article" page would only have 1 content item - the article showing.

Does that makes sense? Terminology is always fun! In v. 1.5 the words "content item" will go away and be replaced with "article."

Please let me know if more is needed!
Amy

joomlan
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by joomlan » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:43 pm

Thanks Amy,

1- Are you saying only the introductory text is showing ? How about the whole article ? Do you have to click on the introductory ...(more) to open the whole article in blogs? If so then doesn't Article do the same thing ? Are blogs saved collectively ?

2- Are all the blogs considered (bundelled) one content item ?

3- Why in CB under articles you see the same content items as under Blogs , although the content have been created as articles not blogs ! They still show up under blogs ?!!!

4- When is 1.5 coming out ! Any idea ? ;D Can we select multiple categories in 1.5 ?

Thanks  a lot

AmyStephen

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:57 pm

You crack me up! Make me laugh!  :D

First of all, I have not used CB. So, we are going to cover this with just plain Joomla!. If you are still confused about CB, we will have to find someone else. I hope it is similar enough and will help you with what you need.

A. Content Items are where your words and pictures go -- articles. The first picture below show the Content Item editor. On the right side, are many parameters. Those parameters impact how articles look when presented. Play around with those to see the various changes. (Reading them will make sense for 80% of it.) ... Image 1, below

B. To make a blog, you create a menu item. The second image, the blue boxed in area, shows the various parameters available for a "blog." In Joomla! a blog is not what a WP, or "normal" blog is. It is just a "index page" with article "teasers" (introductory text).

You specify:
1. How many leading articles you want - a leading article takes the entire width of the main content area. We have 1.
2. Following that, how many Intro articles, we have 2.
3. Following that, how many columns to use for your intro articles, we have 2.
4. Then, how many links (so, if there are more than 3 articles, the links would follow.)
5. Below, are parameters to activate or not heading or the read more links.. Image 2, below

C. This is how it looks ... a Joomla! blog .. See how it has one Intro article? 2 columns? 2 articles? (There are no links because there are only 3 articles for this example page.)

So, in a nutshell, your basic content item with parameters, menu items and blog pages. I think that should cover 1, 2 and 3 from your list. If it does not and you really need the Community Builder way of looking at life, we will need to find someone with CB experience.

As far as #4, A) No. B) No. lol!

In case you are looking for good learning material Absolute Beginners Guide to Joomla!

Good luck!
Amy :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AmyStephen on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joomlan
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by joomlan » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:13 am

Well thanks a lot... This was a comprehensive lesson  ;D...  Well... I know the difference generally , but I was wondering how Joomla deals with it, because in Community Builder if a user writes an article , it appears under blog list and the article list which is confusing !! Anyhow thanks again ...

AmyStephen

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:37 am

No problem! Glad to help! Amy :)

JoomLalala
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JoomLalala » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:43 pm

Thanks Amy, that's a nice overview, tx.

To follow up a bit,  when you are using a "Blog - Content Section" menu item, and there are say six categories in that section, is there a way to only show the first content item from each category in the content section blog? In other words, do we have any control over which articles from the categories get shown (or a way to just show the six category into blurbs rather than the content items from each category)?

Tx,

Dan

Return to “General Questions - 1.0.x”