Who is legally responsible for forums?

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! site? Pop your questions in here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Kenneth Lund
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Who is legally responsible for forums?

Post by Kenneth Lund » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:28 am

As we're opening a site in more than 40 languages/countries, we've tried to learn who is responsible for what, the users write/upload.

We do not want to be held responsible if a user writes negative feedback on a shop or uploads a copright protected picture.

I've heard that placing the ownership of the forum in USA would be ideal, as the american law system holds the forum owner less responsible for what the users do, than other countries does.

Can someone confirm this?
:] Mch Kenneth WedMore Lund

http://www.livingsmart.dk => Living Smart TV er for alle os, der elsker gadgets og computere

Gantry
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Who is legally responsible for forums?

Post by Gantry » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:32 pm

I would be hesitant to trust advice for something as important as this.  Perhaps if you are looking for some general direction, community advice can point you in the right direction, but in the end I'd confirm your final choice with some legitimate legal advice if it's that important.  Good luck with your site Kenneth!

Return to “Administration - 1.0.x”