Embedding You Tube Video into Webpages

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! site? Pop your questions in here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
eratl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Embedding You Tube Video into Webpages

Post by eratl » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:55 pm

I'd like to be able to embed You Tube and other video clips into my Joomla webpage.  According to You Tube, the code for the video I want to embed is:

I clicked on Insert/ edit embedded media and that gives me a choice of type of media ie., Flash, Shockware, Real Media, Windows Media Player, etc.  It also allows me to set the height & width of the video clip.  It does not have a place where I can insert the You Tube html code which has a link to the You Tube video I want to embed.

I tried going to the main body of a blank webpage, opening the button for html and copying & pasting the code above into the page but, nothing happens. The code above is the only html code on the page. When I preview the page it is totally blank although when I look back at the main body of the page, I see a little red dot. I notice I can align that dot to the left, middle or right but still when previewed the video does not show up at all.

Also....aside from You Tube, is there a way to save any video clip you come across and insert it in a way similar to You Tube?  I often need to embed video clips from political candidate speeches too.

Can anyone provide further instructions?

Kathe
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Embedding You Tube Video into Webpages

Post by Kathe » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:38 pm

You might want to look at the plug-in extension called Allvideos.  It's a dandy for stuff like that.  Go to the extensions area of the joomla site and you'll find a link for it there. 

dragonrider
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by dragonrider » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:32 am

Kathe wrote: You might want to look at the plug-in extension called Allvideos.  It's a dandy for stuff like that.  Go to the extensions area of the joomla site and you'll find a link for it there. 
Definitely! It's exactly what you want, all you need to do is install the Allvideos Plugin/Mambot, publish it, and then use {[youtube]}EsxN0DpFFOs{/[youtube]} (in your example).

pmcnamara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by pmcnamara » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:45 pm

I do not understand why a plug in is needed for this.

Its very straight forward HTML code..  if a person uses the embed code, it should work..

Wayne J
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Wayne J » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:49 pm

OK, I downloaded AllVideos from the link above, installed it, published it. I still cannot get [youtube] videos to embed on my site. All of this is very new to me, so I am sure I am missing something.
I go to Section manager choose the section I am working on, I click the HTML button and type {[youtube]}xxxxx{/[youtube]} (vid id inserted of course) and nothing. I'm totally lost and at my ropes end, been trying to put videos up for 3 hours now. :(

dragonrider
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by dragonrider » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:00 pm

Don't do it in HTML tab, normal tab works best.

oops_again
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by oops_again » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:40 pm

Sorry, how do i instal the lugin called Allvideos? I have downloaded it, then what do i do/
Thanks in advanced

dragonrider
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by dragonrider » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:24 pm

oops_again wrote:Sorry, how do i instal the lugin called Allvideos? I have downloaded it, then what do i do/
Thanks in advanced
Install it as a Mambot, then remember to publish it.

Then when you want to embed a video, use {[youtube]}dsfjhgfgyufgu{/[youtube]} and so on, depending on which video site you use, or {flv}your url to .flv file{/flv} in the content area

oops_again
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by oops_again » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:52 am

Got it, many thanks!

angela100
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by angela100 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:04 pm

dragonrider wrote:
oops_again wrote:Sorry, how do i instal the lugin called Allvideos? I have downloaded it, then what do i do/
Thanks in advanced
Install it as a Mambot, then remember to publish it.

Then when you want to embed a video, use {[youtube]}dsfjhgfgyufgu{/[youtube]} and so on, depending on which video site you use, or {flv}your url to .flv file{/flv} in the content area
This was VERY HELPFUL! I had already installed the mambat a couple of days ago, but found ZERO documentation on how to actually use it. I now have my videos up!

Cheers!
Angela :geek:

aussies rule
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aussies rule » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:18 pm

heres a lit of Joomla extensions that might help you.
take a peep
http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... /cat_id,0/

dragonrider
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by dragonrider » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:08 pm

angela100 wrote: This was VERY HELPFUL! I had already installed the mambat a couple of days ago, but found ZERO documentation on how to actually use it. I now have my videos up!

Cheers!
For the Allvideos documentation, click the AllVideos plugin link on your mambots list, part way down the resulting screen, are two pages of useage instructions.

Herb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Herb » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:51 pm

What other code would you need so to enable word wrap.
I have my video on the left side of the page but want the text to start at the top too, not after the video?

angela100
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by angela100 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:01 pm

dragonrider wrote:
angela100 wrote: This was VERY HELPFUL! I had already installed the mambat a couple of days ago, but found ZERO documentation on how to actually use it. I now have my videos up!

Cheers!
For the Allvideos documentation, click the AllVideos plugin link on your mambots list, part way down the resulting screen, are two pages of useage instructions.
I did that, but I was looking for actual process steps and all I found was a table of embed codes and I didn't know where/how to start until I read this post.

now I have a flash snowflake embeded for the holidays

twoseastv
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by twoseastv » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:00 pm

pmcnamara wrote:I do not understand why a plug in is needed for this.

Its very straight forward HTML code..  if a person uses the embed code, it should work..
I agree...why use a plugin? However, I have tried inserting an embed video using the 'insert / edit embedded media' button and it doesn't seem to work. There must be a way...firstly, is a [youtube] video Flash, Quicktime or what? Is there somewhere in the forum that explains the use of this tool?

Bikerdave
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Bikerdave » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:08 pm

twoseastv wrote:
pmcnamara wrote:I do not understand why a plug in is needed for this.

I agree...why use a plugin? However, I have tried inserting an embed video using the 'insert / edit embedded media' button and it doesn't seem to work. There must be a way...firstly, is a [youtube] video Flash, Quicktime or what? Is there somewhere in the forum that explains the use of this tool?
Hi ya

I also wanted to embed a [youtube] vid and it worked first time.

I am using Joomla v1.5.7 and the standard editor.
  • Create a new Article
    Type whatever text you need etc.
    When your ready to insert the vid click on the "Insert/Edit Embedded Media" symbol next to the Smilie on the Menu
    In the box that opens select Flash if your using Flash
    Under that enter the you tube url link (in my case http://www.[youtube].com/watch?v=Al5U1WJ48rM)
    Then click on Insert and your done.
Good luck!
http://www.moorweb.co.uk

Rules Stifle Creativity

Herb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Herb » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:57 pm

Yeah I do not have that symbol in Joomla 1.01

Bikerdave
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Bikerdave » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:17 pm

Ah . . . sorry guys I didn't think to look at what forum I was in . . I just tried it with v1.013 and although there is the same symbol there it doesn't work. So not much help. :-[ sorry . .
http://www.moorweb.co.uk

Rules Stifle Creativity

KevinDavis004
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KevinDavis004 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:04 pm

Are there any security risks embedding [youtube] videos on a joomla site?

swiarda
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by swiarda » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:26 pm

I agree that we shouldn't need a plugin to embed [youtube] videos, however it doesn't appear that my editory (JCE) has the "embed code" button in it ... what to do?

Do I understand correctly that the [youtube] video must be downloaded to my Joomla site BEFORE I attempt to add it using AllVideo? How do I download a [youtube] video?

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Asphyx » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:53 pm

You can't just embed code using the standard editors...you have to use the "no editor" option to paste code in as the WYSIWYG editors will strip all the html out.

the all videos plugin is pretty much just an embed code plugin that allows you to pass parameters (as in the video filename) the embed code uses.

It has the ability to embed video from a lot of places aside from you tube. And it will even work for video you can upload to your server. It's kind of an all in one embedding utility that I highly recommend.

Why would you want to have to constantly shut off the editor and embed code when you can easily just install the plug in once and then just put a filename tag in each article you want video.

swiarda
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by swiarda » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:14 pm

I'm using the "no editor" option, but I'm not being allowed to paste in the embed html code from [youtube].

So ... I'm trying AllVideos, but I've copied in the following code to the page and nothing but the code appears on my site ... no video:
What am I doing wrong?

CunningStunt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CunningStunt » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:44 am

Code: Select all

{[youtube]}mVh75ylAUXY{/[youtube]}
is what you need

azilcer
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by azilcer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:29 am

Hi All

Just noticed that when I log as Super Admin I can copy/paste the [youtube] code in to the code editor and it works perfectly!!!

When I log on as Manager or even Administrator (anything less than Super Admins) the [youtube] code disapears.

Not sure why this is, but it would be handy to pass this ability on to lower permissioned users. I'm assuming it's got something to do with the <object></object> tag.

Hope this sheds some light for some people.

Cheers
Anthony

mel8dy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mel8dy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:33 am

I am using joomla 1.5.14, and allvideos, after I embedded the video I get text displayed as {[youtube]}mVh75ylAUXY{/[youtube]} instead of video. I have no problem on Joomla 1.5.10.

Any idea what's wrong?

Radix__
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Radix__ » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:35 am

Bikerdave wrote:
twoseastv wrote:
  • When your ready to insert the vid click on the "Insert/Edit Embedded Media" symbol next to the Smilie on the Menu
    In the box that opens select Flash if your using Flash
    Under that enter the you tube url link
    and your done.
Ain't it funny that when I do that:
* In the preview box, I get the [youtube] video as should be
* When I click Insert it messes the thing up, and I get a yellowish square!

Why would it work in the Preview window of the Insert/Edit Embedded Media Popup, but not in the actual article...? As a result I'm not able to insert [youtube] into webpages.

p.s. and oh, I wholeheartedly agree that some or another plugin should not be required for this. 1.5.14

mel8dy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mel8dy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:54 pm

mel8dy wrote:I am using joomla 1.5.14, and allvideos, after I embedded the video I get text displayed as {[youtube]}mVh75ylAUXY{/[youtube]} instead of video. I have no problem on Joomla 1.5.10.

Any idea what's wrong?

My problem solved by install latest version of Allvideo. For those facing the same problem, hope it help.

Karl Janssen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Karl Janssen » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:54 pm

I got a quick question concerning Allvideos.

I'm trying to get the embedded [youtube] media to center on the page {[youtube]}jqk-v7wlz70{/[youtube]}
But can't seem to get it to work... It just stays there, aligned left, whatever I try!

URL to the page im talking about: http://www.svab.se/index.php/sv/compone ... nirattfilm

Any advice for me?

Thanks!

EDIT: The vid is now enlarged so it takes upp the whole width of the page.

Karl Janssen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Karl Janssen » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:26 pm

I actually don't get the "fullscreen button" to work either. It's there, but nothing happens when I click it.

YourTeacherLE
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by YourTeacherLE » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:33 am

If you're running Joomla 1.5, you don't need any extra modules to add a video from [youtube]. Don't try to use [youtube]'s "Embed" code though.

I use TinyMCE editor on my Joomla site.

Simply click on "Embed Media".

(If you can't see the embed media icon you need to put TinyMCE on "Extended" mode using the "Plug-In" manager.)

Choose "Flash".

Enter the url of the video on [youtube]. And click on "Enter".

It's that easy.
If I can do it, anyone can.

Return to “Administration - 1.0.x”