Access timeout on Joomla Folder

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! site? Pop your questions in here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
obisi
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Access timeout on Joomla Folder

Post by obisi » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:27 pm

Suddenly I am unable to access my joomla folder on my domain (houseofpraiseva.org/joomla/) via all ftp programs. I am getting a CGI timeout error. I've tried filezilla and joomlaXplorer with the same failing outcome.

My hosting company are also baffled as they don't see why from their end. I am on a windows platform and this is not the only domain I have on windows but the only one that is giving me this problem (of course the only one with most content at this point).

Could this happening bcos of an extension that is misbehaving? I have backed up the site successfully using joomlapack and I am able to still install and create content from the backend wihtout any problems. I am just not able to see the directory. Please help. Thx

leahcim_dach
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Access timeout on Joomla Folder

Post by leahcim_dach » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:58 am

Is this only the joomla directory affected, or all directories (main directory above /joomla/)? If all your directories are affected the same, I would say it's a hosting issue, if it's only your Joomla! directory...that would pretty much narrow it down.

Do you have access to any error logs you can look at and get an idea of what might be causing it?

Chad

obisi
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by obisi » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:40 am

Fortunately only the "joomla" directory and its sub-folders are affected. This is why I think it is not a hosting problem. I have 3 other Joomla sites with the same provider with no access issues.

Where or how can I get at the error log?

Again thx Chad for being very active and ready to help all newbies. I've seen your response to other users' issues and this is very much appreciated.

leahcim_dach
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by leahcim_dach » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:50 am

Where or how can I get at the error log?
Should be able to access those through your hosting control panel. If not, you'll need to contact your host support staff.

Should be a mention of cgi- something or other and hopefully showing the file path that is causing the problem.

Chad

obisi
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by obisi » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:06 am

Thx. I have submitted a trouble ticket to my hosting tech staff. The error I get is CGI Timeout when accessing the joomla folder. That problem started recently. I will let you know if and when this is resolved.

obisi
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Access timeout on Joomla Folder- SOLVED

Post by obisi » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:39 am

Thank you all. I have4 solved this problem as well. It had to do with huge number of saved session files in the folder where joomla is installed.

Here is the solution:

1. FTP to the hosting directory.
2. View your folder listing and towards the end file listing will be a long list of files that start with ses*** for saved session files. Delete all these files. If you don't see such files, then your session files are probably saved in a different folder
3. If so, view your php.ini file, which is usually in the public_html directory and look for a line of code: session.save_path = "folder".
5 . While in the php.ini file, it would be wise to specify a different folder outside of the public_html (e.g. sessions) to save the sessions to. You will see why when you read the solution to another problem I had with inability to access the backend after sometime. It was all due to session problems and the location of the session folder.
6. Remember to create the new folder you have indicated in the php.ini for things to work normally.
7. The key thing though is making sure that session files are deleted periodically and specifying a known folder is a good start. I believe there must be a way to make a cron run in the background to perform this task automatically.

Return to “Administration - 1.0.x”