Maximum filesize allowed for uploads

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! site? Pop your questions in here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
kaplan71
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Maximum filesize allowed for uploads

Post by kaplan71 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:23 pm

Hi there --

I need some feedback on an issue that has come up with our server. We recently increased the maximum size for a file that can be uploaded to the server to twenty (20) megabytes. As of this writing, a request has come in to have a file that is three times that amount, or sixty (60) megabytes, to be uploaded to the server.

I can go through the motions and increase the filesize allowed within Joomla as well as the php.ini file to accomdate this request. However, before I do so, I wanted to get feedback from people to see what would be a good size limit.

Simply put, what is the best maximum size that should be allowed for files that are to be uploaded to the server? Thanks.

bohn002
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Maximum filesize allowed for uploads

Post by bohn002 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:18 pm

it just all depends on what your uploading. Obviously text files wont need a very large upload size but if your a video uploading site, then you will need some big sizes. If your uploads get too large the server will just time out even if the file size is acceptable.
remember pillage...then burn.

kaplan71
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kaplan71 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:37 pm

Hi there --

Thanks for your reply. There will be a meeting to discuss this issue. Based on your posting, it appears that increasing the allowable size is potentially opening a 'pandora's box' that will come
back to haunt us. This is partially due to the fact that Joomla was not designed to be a streaming server like Darwin. Consequently, the best course of action is to not increase the size, and inform those users there needs to be an alternative means for their requests.

Your thoughts?

webhostuk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by webhostuk » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:38 am

Hello,

Max upload of file size depends on your server hardware ,If and other factors such as traffic, no of user allowed to upload at a time.
So to give a perfect size is quit tricky job, like in cpanel the default php.ini has 2 MB upload as standard set.

20MB is fine as far as I feel on shared server.
https://www.webhostuk.Co.uk/joomla-hosting.html | Best UK Joomla Hosting!
http://www.webhost.US.Com | Best US Joomla Hosting
One click auto installer for Joomla

Return to “Administration - 1.0.x”