Accidentally delete your configuration.php file?

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! site? Pop your questions in here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
erichilliard
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Accidentally delete your configuration.php file?

Post by erichilliard » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:58 pm

It's always a good idea to backup your installation, including your configuration.php file. Sometimes things get accidentally deleted or overwritten, and the site you worked so hard on suddenly disappears. Well, in the event you don't have a backup and you find yourself in a tough spot, you might find this information useful, so I thought I'd post it.

If you have your web hosting with GoDaddy, you can login to your admin panel for hosting and there is an FTP section there. If you go to your FTP section there is a little gear up in the right corner you can click to turn on a history of your files. It looks like a snapshot is taken daily so far as I can tell. In the event you overwrite your configuration.php (or any file for that matter), you can go to a day previous to the overwrite, click on the file, and bingo - you have your old file you lost complete with your "$secret" from your installation and all your database settings.

I use GoDaddy primarily, so I can't speak for other hosting services, but if you don't have them, it may be worth checking to see if your host has a similar option.

Cheers,

Eric

Return to “Administration - 1.0.x”