Installing 2nd Joomla on Subdomain Question....

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
xe-cute
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Installing 2nd Joomla on Subdomain Question....

Post by xe-cute » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:12 am

My main site has Joomla installed and I have set-up a subdomain to install another instance of Joomla.

My quick  question is can I set joomla up on the subdomain without any conflict ion with the main sites Joomla and it's mysql tables?

Or is there anything I need to do such as give it a different prefix for the tables or will it auto set-up the mysql database knowing it is on a subdomain and so is a different joomla installation?

The last thing I want to do is set it up for the database to over-ride/replace or conflict with the installation on my main Joomla and then have to fix that back up.

Thankyou in advance for your help upon this matter.

montano
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Installing 2nd Joomla on Subdomain Question....

Post by montano » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:53 am

When you do the initial installation of the second Joomla, you will be asked what the table prefixes will be.  By default it's jos_  just change that to jos2_.  That should do it.  It would be even better if you had a separate database for the second site if you can manage that with your webhost.

mdetko
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mdetko » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:54 am

And i have to install second joomla for subdomain?

What can i do, when i want to use the same joomla instalation and control panel for www.mysite.com and also for shop.mysite.com and galery.mysite.com???

bgareth2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bgareth2 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:25 pm

This is a major downfall of Joomla - ideally the answer would be to:

1) Update your site to 2.5 (i'd advise this anyway, 2.5 is far more powerful and it is highly likely that less and less extensions will be maintained and newly built to be 1.0 compatible)

2) Set up category blogs to display different items dependant on which link is clicked (so you'd have all the shop items in one category and then the link to "shop" would be set to display the category blog for the shop category.

3) Different access levels could be set for employees/volunteers/assistants/your friends and these groups are without limit in 2.5.

The only issue and this is a big one for me is you cannot have an independent logo for different categories and certain other attributes (like the title of the website, overall metatags and your template and it's configuration are also shared between all of the categories).

jancadik
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jancadik » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:39 pm

My primary mysite.com website on GoDaddy uses Joomla! 1.5.22 which I want/need to upgrade to at least 2.5. I want to try the Joomla upgrade in my new subdomain "test.mysite.com" first (I uploaded the primary root directory to my new folder "test" in the root directory. My problem is that when I make a change to test.mysite.co, I see it in mysite.come as well. Clearly they are working off the same database. I created a new database, and now I need to populate it with data from the original/primary using phpMyAdmin. However, I cannot sign in phpMyAdmin with the information I found in the primary configuration.php file using.

var $ftp_port = '21';
var $ftp_pass = 'H82mazq6';
var $ftp_root = '';
var $dbtype = 'mysql';
var $host = 'demodatauser.db.5222336.hostedresource.com';
var $user = 'demodatauser';
var $db = 'demodatauser';
var $dbprefix = 'bak_';
var $mailer = 'mail';
var $mailfrom = '[email protected]';
var $fromname = 'Montgomery County Democratic Party';

I don't have access to the original website builder. Where do I get the sign-in information? How do I get this done?

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”