Move Your Site to Another Server

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jayspider
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Move Your Site to Another Server

Post by jayspider » Sun May 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi Redlens

First of all, very helpful tutorial.

However, I have few errors happens after I transfer the website. It appears that my module don't want to appear after the transfer, and if I disable the module, the page will run like before (without the module I need ofc), and when I turn them back on, the text inside it will not shows up, and the whole page seems be cut off half way.

It's a bit complicated to describe, maybe you can see into my website (rjchen.com) to understand what do I mean.

Thank you in advance.

prologiq
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by prologiq » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:48 am

Hi

I keep getting this error and I'm not sure if the error is via my domain being transferred from one server to another or through the database

Fatal error: Class 'JError' not found in /home/leadsgnw/public_html/site/includes/framework.php on line 42

I changed the database information on my config file and tried copying the entire website form the previous host as is but still hasn't changed anything

(anyone)Please help
:'( :'( :'( :'(

Fa1tal1ty
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Fa1tal1ty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:40 am

Hi guys

New to Joomla. If i transfer my site to another domain and it has paid for modules attached. Does it cost anything to activate them on the new domain or is the transfer at no cost with still the modules attached.

Please let me know

clyde_bigsby
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by clyde_bigsby » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:36 pm

Hello there, having an issue here. Followed the instructions perfectly, but when replacing the essential folders, I'm not seeing the "editor", "help", or "mambots" folders.

The website is still working fine, until I try to login to the back end. Then I get an error, I assume this is because I haven't been able to replace the mambots, editor, or help folders.

Thanks in advance!

gekkou
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gekkou » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:39 am

Hi,

I did all the steps given and no error occured. However, when i tried to open my website, it has gone hair-wired. No photos, no proper layout. It seems like my joomla cannot read my css file. I hv checked the image links and it was correct, tried copying all files again but still nothing was right.

Can anyone help me?

Quadraphoria1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Quadraphoria1 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:34 am

I have migrated the entire wesite from one domain to another and is working fine.
however, I am now trying to install a plugin via the extention manager, and I am receiving the following error:

Warning: Failed to move file!

JFolder: :files: Path is not a folder. Path: /usr/www/users/ultimcvnnz/tmp/install_5385887285e11

JFolder: :folder: Path is not a folder. Path: /usr/www/users/ultimcvnnz/tmp/install_5385887285e11

JFolder: :files: Path is not a folder. Path: /usr/www/users/ultimcvnnz/tmp/install_5385887285e11

JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find Joomla XML setup file
Error

Archive does not exist

Can anyone assist me with this, and or advise the best way forward
Thanks in advance

SwiftWS
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by SwiftWS » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:00 pm

Website is moved successfully to new server after two days of playing but not a single page is functional . upon click on pages it says not found .

adminstrator also not working after adding all user name and passwords been found through database.

AnnaW
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by AnnaW » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:51 pm

I am trying to move a Joomla site to a new server and I've followed your instructions. The problem is the url that the new joomla install gives me doesn't take me to the login panel of the new site. It seems to be calling up the site on the old server that I haven't disabled because I can't have it down while I work on this migration. This is the URL Joomla gives me
http://pitboss-grills.com/joomla16/administrator but as you can see it's not going to the login screen.

also, joomla installed but I have no idea what it named the database and I can't get in to the admin panel so how do I do this? LOL..Sorry I'm a bit rusty with Joomla

HEKTAP
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by HEKTAP » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:03 am

When you say this:
"•Go to the Bottom of the page and hit the 'GO' Button - this will bring up the database's code in the SQL language - THIS IS THE DUMP"
And then copy and paste DUMP into New Database. I'm not really getting that and this is the message I'm getting.
Error

SQL query:

--
-- Database: `goldc_jo152`
--

-- --------------------------------------------------------

--
-- Table structure for table `jos_banner`
--

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `jos_banner` (
`bid` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
`cid` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`type` varchar(30) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'banner',
`name` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`alias` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`imptotal` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`impmade` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`clicks` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`imageurl` varchar(100) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`clickurl` varchar(200) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`date` datetime DEFAULT NULL,
`showBanner` tinyint(1) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`checked_out` tinyint(1) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`checked_out_time` datetime NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
`editor` varchar(50) DEFAULT NULL,
`custombannercode` text,
`catid` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`description` text NOT NULL,
`sticky` tinyint(1) unsigned N[...]

MySQL said: Documentation
#1046 - No database selected

Old website is Joomla 1.5.X and new one is the same.

mrd69
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mrd69 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi,

Firstly thanks for the great tutorial!

I have managed to move everything over from my old server to the new one, and i am now using rackspace cloud servers.

The problem is that i dont want to transfer the dns settings until i know it is all working fine, but when i click on the testing link in rackspace it takes me to a coming soon page that says please come back later instead of the actual main page, but if i add /index.php to the end of the testing link, it all works fine.

The question is, if i change over the dns settings, will the site load properly when i type in the site url, or will i have to type /index.php to get to the main front page, or can i change this somehow so that this does not have to be added onto the end of the url?

Thanks

quantumgravity
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by quantumgravity » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:53 pm

This may not help anyone, but I thought I'd post it here just in case.

I used Akeeba (love it) to transfer a Joomla 2.5 website to a new host for development and upgrade to Joomla 3.x.

Now this is key: I did not transfer the domain, but used a temporary domain that came with the new account, intending to keep the "real" site live but continue development on the new host that would ultimately house the site.

The back end works fine, and the home page works fine ... but no front-end menu links work. It turns out, according to the new host, that they will never work. Something about the temporary IP-based address they use (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/~domain_name) will not allow internal links to work.

So ... if I want to do development in this way, I need to use a real domain (purchased for development purposes only) or do development at the old host.

For what it's worth!

pelloq1
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by pelloq1 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:44 am

This can help another people (or me in some months).

After I copied my Joomla site in a sandbox sub-folder, renamed the database, database user, and renamed the prefix, I updated the configuration.php to reflect the new values.

Joomla will not show, this kind of messages:

Table 'xxx' doesn't exist SQL

After a while of search, I found. When I used the phpmyadmin 'rename database prefix' feature, I ticked all table, and replaced the old one with the new one.

Perfect.... but .... when I used the 'check all tables' I do not realise that they was 2 pages of table, then the second page of table list was not renamed....

Shame on me, I am now emigrating to Nepal - where i intend to live as a goat as phantacid !

rick

marteau
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by marteau » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:24 pm

Hi :-)

So, I followed the steps and at the end got the following error:
Fatal error: Call to undefined method JApplicationHelper::getHash()

Is this because on the new host server the different Joomla version (newer) has been installed?

Is there a way to fix it or just install the older version?

Thanks in advance :-)

Keith123
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Keith123 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi,
I had moved the my site to new hosting provider(godaddy).Copied the database etc. Everything went well. However the menus don't work. I then switched SEF off/No and the menus work again. However still some of the menu item which had contact us details give error "The requested document was not found on this server".

Please advise if I need to dumb the database and recreate it?

Thanks !!

gravity_grave
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gravity_grave » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:34 am

Hi,
Great article...I could do with some help troubleshooting:

I have installed Joomla
I have done the database dump

This is my second attempt at uploading the files from my old site. This is where it's not happening...i have found the following files *except*

I have:
Administrator
Components
Editor* (can't find this file)
Images
Includes
language
media
modules
plugins (is this mambots? if not I can't find it)
templates

So i just want some confirmation that i'm doing the part right. It said last time error displaying the error,

Any ideas,

Kind Regards,

Gravity

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:41 am

@gravity_grave: mambots? No, we haven't talked about mambots in over 10 years. If you have mambots somewhere then there's something very strange about your website.

This is the danger of taking a topic that was started 10 years ago and "re-purposing" it to deal with issues that people may be experiencing today; issues that, in all likelihood, only have a vague similarity to the way things worked in an ancient, historical context. My suggestion is to create a new topic: describe in detail what problem(s) you are experiencing—don't worry too much about the possible causes of those problems—and provide us with the current context in which those problems exist (i.e. the Forum Post Assistant report is a good way to do that).

gravity_grave
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gravity_grave » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:54 pm

sozzled wrote:@gravity_grave: mambots? No, we haven't talked about mambots in over 10 years. If you have mambots somewhere then there's something very strange about your website.

This is the danger of taking a topic that was started 10 years ago and "re-purposing" it to deal with issues that people may be experiencing today; issues that, in all likelihood, only have a vague similarity to the way things worked in an ancient, historical context. My suggestion is to create a new topic: describe in detail what problem(s) you are experiencing—don't worry too much about the possible causes of those problems—and provide us with the current context in which those problems exist (i.e. the Forum Post Assistant report is a good way to do that).

Okay thanks

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”