Move Your Site to Another Server

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
liya
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Move Your Site to Another Server

Post by liya » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:19 am

Hi Redlens,

Thank you for your kind answer and solutions to my question above!

Would you let me know how to do a fresh install for a site which is already
modified? should i download a new joomla the same version as i installed
before, do a new install and then upload all my modified files to server to
replace the old ones?

how to implement!!!!!!!!!!!!!??

thanks in advance!

Liya

redlens

Post by redlens » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:41 am

Liya - I don't mean to sound like a broken record...but to accomplish what you want to do is very easy...just follow my directions in the first post. These instructions are specifically for modified websites.

arn78
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by arn78 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:53 am

Hi

I'm about to try and move my Joomla site to another server. Does the install of joomla on the new server need to be the same version as on the old one? So if i have 1.0.13 on the old server do i need to install 1.0.13 on the new one?

Thanks

Arn

redlens

Post by redlens » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:55 pm

arn78 wrote:Does the install of joomla on the new server need to be the same version as on the old one? So if i have 1.0.13 on the old server do i need to install 1.0.13 on the new one?
Yes install the same exact version as the original Joomla! install. If your original install was in 1.0.13 then continue to use that same version.

After you complete the move you can easily upgrade by simply overwriting files. Besides...1.0.13 is VERY stable and you will not lose much functionality by sticking with it.

arn78
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by arn78 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:03 pm

Thanks for you help and for the nice simple guide! :)

TheMartinB
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by TheMartinB » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:58 am

I've had a read thru your guide (nice work btw) as well as a few others and I'm trying to troubleshoot cloning my prod Joomla install to give me a Dev environment.

I've exported & imported the Prod Joomla DB to clone the database side of the hourse, and I've also copied over the files in the file system to a new directory. Both without error.

I then edited the configuration.php file to point my files use the cloned database, ensuring I changed the paths and user names .. yet I still get the " This site is temporarily unavailable" message when I try to connect to the front page ?

The one possible error I can see is the password being used in the configuration.php file is wrong ? Yet I'm not sure how to correct as I guess it's a hash of some sort ?

Any suggestions ?

Ok solved my own problem - always the best way - I'd not changed the $mosConfig_password field - seems it keeps it in plain text ??

Perhaps that may help someone some day ?

riceman
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by riceman » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:58 am

Hi,

Thanks for this tutorial. One question though...

Will your instructions work for 1.5 as well?

redlens

Post by redlens » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:11 am

Theoretically yes - these instructions should work with Joomla 1.5. Please try it and post your results.

OVG
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by OVG » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:57 am

I have a problem after moving my site to another domain. Everything seems to be ok, but i can't login. When I go to the joomla administration and give my username and password, de page returns again to the login page.

I don't get an error messages. When I try a fake user , then he says that it is a wrong username or password. So the credentials are checkt but after that, there is something going wrong.

I hope that someone can help me with this.

Regards,
OVG ;)

riceman
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by riceman » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:15 pm

You are right, it seems like it should work fine. This is the most concise explanation i have found so far so when the time comes I'll go with it and post my results. Most likely in the next month.

rookdanger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rookdanger » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:55 pm

Thanks, this really helped me out!
http://www.brushfiredesign.ca | Toronto based website design & graphic design | Ecommerce, Flash, CMS.

teclive
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by teclive » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:07 am

sorry folks, posted to wrong place..i moved my post :)

naal1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by naal1 » Thu May 29, 2008 10:38 am

Hi,

I am just about tp move my website from old server to new server. New server had updated version of php & Mysql i.e. version 5 and my old server had php 4 but my website was working fine over there. after transferring whole pages & mysql we are getting lots of error when i remove of mine Bot or component then its show error on another section means its seems like never ending problem .

Error is
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/components/com_joomfish/includes/joomfish.class.php:877) in /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/includes/joomla.php on line 700

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/components/com_joomfish/includes/joomfish.class.php:877) in /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/mambots/system/jfdatabase.systembot.php on line 195

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/components/com_joomfish/includes/joomfish.class.php:877) in /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/mambots/system/jfdatabase.systembot.php on line 196

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/components/com_joomfish/includes/joomfish.class.php:877) in /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/mambots/system/jfdatabase.systembot.php on line 197

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/components/com_joomfish/includes/joomfish.class.php:877) in /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/index.php on line 250

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/components/com_joomfish/includes/joomfish.class.php:877) in /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/index.php on line 251

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/components/com_joomfish/includes/joomfish.class.php:877) in /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/index.php on line 252

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/components/com_joomfish/includes/joomfish.class.php:877) in /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/index.php on line 253

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/components/com_joomfish/includes/joomfish.class.php:877) in /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/index.php on line 254

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/components/com_joomfish/includes/joomfish.class.php:877) in /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/templates/ja_rochea/ja_templatetools.php on line 49

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/components/com_joomfish/includes/joomfish.class.php:877) in /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/templates/ja_rochea/ja_templatetools.php on line 51

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/components/com_joomfish/includes/joomfish.class.php:877) in /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/templates/ja_rochea/ja_templatetools.php on line 53

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/components/com_joomfish/includes/joomfish.class.php:877) in /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/templates/ja_rochea/ja_templatetools.php on line 55

Before that i was getting error in sef bot file ..

Please help me because admin area and even website i can view but with the above header error.

baltoed
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by baltoed » Fri May 30, 2008 4:58 pm

thanks for making yourself available.
I seem to have exactly the same issue as PaulD listed in your very first reply to this issue. I first got it by exactly doing what he did. He used the cpanel backups. When I got it I went geesh..Ok I deleted it all again and went by your step to step and did it the more manual way you suggested. After that..*still* the same errror messages. You suggested to him then that it was a missing file in the includes and he never came back so Im guessing it was the problem for him. For me..I can see that it does indeed exist.. I checked both in the public_html and the www section cause I did not know enough that they are the same. What I do notice is that my sql versions are different.. So I dont know if this is a yet to be manifested problem to be delt with in the future or one in the same issue. Any pointers would be great. This would be about the 7th time Ive tried to get this over from one server to another trying to use my most *logical* skills..*smile

Ed
:-[

redlens

Post by redlens » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:10 pm

You problem is obviously with the component JoomFish.

Uninstall JoomFish from the admin backend. Components > Uninstall

Then delete ALL JoomFish files using your FTP program...make sure you look in Root > Administrator > Components as well as the regular Root > Components directory.

Then reinstall the latest version of JoomFish compatible with your version of Joomla!
naal1 wrote:Hi,

I am just about tp move my website from old server to new server. New server had updated version of php & Mysql i.e. version 5 and my old server had php 4 but my website was working fine over there. after transferring whole pages & mysql we are getting lots of error when i remove of mine Bot or component then its show error on another section means its seems like never ending problem .

Error is
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/components/com_joomfish/includes/joomfish.class.php:877) in /home/content/e/s/p/esprit212/html/includes/joomla.php on line 700

Please help me because admin area and even website i can view but with the above header error.

redlens

Post by redlens » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:19 pm

baltoed wrote:thanks for making yourself available.
I seem to have exactly the same issue as PaulD listed in your very first reply to this issue. I first got it by exactly doing what he did. He used the cpanel backups. When I got it I went geesh..Ok I deleted it all again and went by your step to step and did it the more manual way you suggested. After that..*still* the same errror messages. You suggested to him then that it was a missing file in the includes and he never came back so Im guessing it was the problem for him. For me..I can see that it does indeed exist.. I checked both in the public_html and the www section cause I did not know enough that they are the same. What I do notice is that my sql versions are different.. [...]
Okay - firstly...I'll say that you should try to do the switch to a server that has Exactly the same specs as your old server...so in your case this means keeping the same MySQL version, you can do this on a subdomain of your current server...if you DONT get the error it means that the problem is compatibility with the new server, if you DO get the error then we can assume it has to do with a user error at some stage of the transfer process then we can narrow it down from there.

PM me if you wish and send over IM information.

baltoed
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by baltoed » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:11 pm

thx for the reply..

Ive placed a work ticket to ask my new provider to hook me up with the older version of SQL and tell me how to point my website at it. ( if I read your help correctly this is what I first have to do to test.} I would gladly give you a PM or my IM but Im not at the 5 messages needed to be able to use that part of this forum..and not inclined to post junk to get to that level. HIINT here .. you might email me first?.. Id gladly avail myself of your gracious help offer and keep my stupid crap out of here...and not look like the IDIOT..lol

Ed :-[

icametoplay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by icametoplay » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:35 pm

Is there any reason that a copied instance of a Joomla site would not work on a server with no domain name - just using the IP address instead? I am trying to upgrade our server and don't want to change DNS until everything is working so I just left it with a direct IP. I changed the config file and everything seems to be where it is supposed to be. The only difference is no domain name.

Thanks!

redlens

Post by redlens » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:59 pm

icametoplay wrote:Is there any reason that a copied instance of a Joomla site would not work on a server with no domain name - just using the IP address instead? I am trying to upgrade our server and don't want to change DNS until everything is working so I just left it with a direct IP. I changed the config file and everything seems to be where it is supposed to be. The only difference is no domain name.
Thanks!
I don't see how this would be a problem...have you tried it yet?

icametoplay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by icametoplay » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:11 pm

Yes I did and it does not seem to work. When I try to the site nothing is there.......I hit the index.php and there is not even any code......when i view source.

Not sure what the problem is. php is installed, mysql is there.....all the content and db is there.....can't figure it out. ???

redlens

Post by redlens » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:27 pm

Guess what? I just had to go through your process for one of my own projects...and I thought something was wrong as well, until I figured out that on servers where you're only using an IP address (not a text URL) you often have to append the name of your server to the number. For example: If your IP address is 12.34.5.678 then your site's root would be at: 12.34.5.678/~servername/index.php

Try this and get back to us...you may have to contact your server/hosting provider.
icametoplay wrote:Yes I did and it does not seem to work. When I try to the site nothing is there.......I hit the index.php and there is not even any code......when i view source.

Not sure what the problem is. php is installed, mysql is there.....all the content and db is there.....can't figure it out. ???

padma89
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Gettng blank pages after transferng server

Post by padma89 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:33 pm

hello,
I moved from old server to new server.My back end is working fine but I have a problem in the front end, i got the blank pages(:404 Not found ):
http://www.mvpseminars.com/content/view/18/34/
It had been working fine an old server.But creating problem on new server.
I am wondering if it is the problem of the web server or FTP or database or is there anything i missed during transfering of the site.Also tell me more about .htaccess files.Please respond me ASAP.I am always apprecate your help.

prdg1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by prdg1 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:46 pm

I see everyone had an issue like I did. I had an intern create a really cool tool that takes a complete snapshot of the website you created. I have a local stand alone server where I was building a site but I needed to move it to a live site. I installed this like a component. Go into the component and create the backup. All you then have to do is load it on your server and uninstall it. It installs everything - images, content, modules - EVERYTHING!

SO here is the catch (my intern is gone now and I can't reach him). I could not get this to work when my site was loaded on my host sites Apache server. It only worked on my local stand alone sever. I'm attaching the whole tool in a zip file. If it works for you - great. If any developers can figure out why I couldn't get it work on my hosted Apache server, that would be very helpful. I do know that ALL of the main information that my intern was making changes to were in the helper.php file. When I load it on my server, the component is there but when I try to create the backup, the screen goes white and nothing happens.

Just let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Patsy Gillispie
Designer/Developer - Dallas, Texas
Visit my site: http://www.gogreencre8tive.com

stkrueger
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by stkrueger » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:30 am

prdg1 wrote:I see everyone had an issue like I did. I had an intern create a really cool tool that takes a complete snapshot of the website you created. I have a local stand alone server where I was building a site but I needed to move it to a live site. I installed this like a component. Go into the component and create the backup. All you then have to do is load it on your server and uninstall it. It installs everything - images, content, modules - EVERYTHING!

SO here is the catch (my intern is gone now and I can't reach him). I could not get this to work when my site was loaded on my host sites Apache server. It only worked on my local stand alone sever. I'm attaching the whole tool in a zip file. If it works for you - great. If any developers can figure out why I couldn't get it work on my hosted Apache server, that would be very helpful. I do know that ALL of the main information that my intern was making changes to were in the helper.php file. When I load it on my server, the component is there but when I try to create the backup, the screen goes white and nothing happens.

Just let me know.

i got the file to install just fine on both of my live servers.

what do i do with the file, once i create the backup though?

deranged
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by deranged » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:46 pm

I cannot seem to get this right.
I followed the instructions carefully...i've done it like 5times already...
I copied and pasted my old sql db into the new joomla sql, overwrote the files i was told to in the instructions and now when i access the site, it says :-
Template File Not Found! Looking for template:

so then i try loggin on to the admin page..the page comes up as normal but when i try 2 log in, it says :-
You cannot login. There are no administrators set up.

I duno what else to try....can any1 please advise

Kamokronos
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kamokronos » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:46 am

Thank you so much for this guide. I thought that I was going to have to switch my site back to a slow server, but now I don't. The guide was so easy to follow, and now everything works! Thanks so much.

asentcompany
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by asentcompany » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:43 am

Hello I am having a problem with moving my site to a new host. We have installed a new install of Joomla on the new server and have followed all the steps up until copying the old db into the new server. Every time we go to do this in PHPmyAdmin it gives this error...

Error
SQL query:

-- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
-- version 2.6.4-pl2
-- http://www.phpmyadmin.net
--
-- Host: supremecenter44.com
-- Generation Time: Dec 23, 2008 at 05:49 PM
-- Server version: 5.0.32
-- PHP Version: 5.2.0-8+etch9~bpo31+1
--
-- Database: `cfabllc_csm`
--
-- --------------------------------------------------------
--
-- Table structure for table `access`
--
CREATE TABLE `access` (
`aid` INT( 11 ) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT ,
`mask` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`type` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`status` TINYINT( 4 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
PRIMARY KEY ( `aid` )
) ENGINE = MYISAM DEFAULT CHARSET = utf8 AUTO_INCREMENT =1;

MySQL said:

#1046 - No database selected

The support team on the new server has tried to help for 2-3 hours we tried importing the db and many other steps doing different things but we just can't get the old DB into the new server.

HELP this site has been down for over 72 hours and we need it back up.

Thanks,
DJ

Dave Howard
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Dave Howard » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:57 pm

I don't understand this step. None of my content (articles or images) seem to be in the new joomla site.

Is this an FTP thing? Thanks!

. Completing the Move...

* You now have to 'OVERWRITE' all of the essential Joomla! folders that site on the new site with the folders from the old site - this will add all of the stuff you've customized like Components & Modules you've installed, Templates and files you've edited, etc...
* These are the ESSENTIAL FOLDERS to Copy over (and OVERWRITE)
o administrator
components
editor
help
images
includes
language
mambots
media
modules

andybezara
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by andybezara » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:18 pm

Hello Everybody

Redlens... I really want to say thank you for this invaluable, easy and useful tutorial.

Fellows just follow the instructions. At the end of the day, you have to do few changes (htaccess.txt to .htaccess)

Once again, thank you

Andy

lateefx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lateefx » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:10 am

Great! This is Redlens...something happened to my account - not sure why it was de-activated...probably during the forum upgrades - I'm happy to help if anyone else has issues migrating their site over to another server.

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”