Joomla Gives Blank Screen After Install Need Help

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jjrjr2
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla Gives Blank Screen After Install Need Help

Post by jjrjr2 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:58 pm

Hi

I am hoping someone can help me with this.  I have installed the latest stable version of Joomla.  The installation completed successfully according to the install scripts.  However, the main page as well as the administrator page come  up blank. 

I have poked around a little and it seems the code dies inside the /include/joomla.php file.  I put echo text string in the index.php files and everting prints ok until the require once includes/joomla.php.  I hope this mighht help determine the problem.

Another note is I am installing Joomla in a subdomain but I have placed all the Joomla code into that subdomain.  The installation script worked but I had to change some pathing info in the install script.  Is my problem related to pathing running in a subdomain?

Where would I make changes to fix this problem.

I can give you access to the web site if you need to look at the installation.

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks In Advance.

Sincerely,
John

dragonrider
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Joomla Gives Blank Screen After Install Need Help

Post by dragonrider » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:26 pm

Can certainly give you a hand this evening John, (PM me if you want) but first check that the includes folder has fully uploaded, sounds almost as if some of your files may be missing.

You can check my work out at wharfedalefestival.co.uk and upstagers.co.uk or ilkleygardeners.org.uk

jjrjr2
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jjrjr2 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:34 pm

Dear Dragon..

Thanks for your reply.

I still need help but I have a little more info.

The problem seems to be related to the function dirmane(__FILE__) in joomla.php.

It seems to return the wrong path and includes cannot be properly loaded.  (the code I played with was the code that loads PHP compatibility code.)  I made some modifications and replaced dirmane(__FILE__) with absolute pathing info that would be correct.  It worked for the home page.  However other functions would not work.  I scanned the source for occurrences of dirname and WOW they are all over the place.  It would be very difficicult to make proper changes in all those locations the test all of Joomla.

In my research I discovered that not all PHP implementations return the same data for dirname(__FILE__).  Some return relative path and some return absolute path.  In my implementation (Hosted at Yahoo) dirname(__FILE__) returns what seems the absolute path.  This causes the returned info to contain the directory used for the subdomain.

Anyway,  I appreciate any lite you can shed on this for me.  I can provide you access to the site if you like.

Thanks again,

Sincerely,
John Real

dragonrider
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by dragonrider » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:43 am

Sounds as if the configuration file may have some slight errors regarding the url's it uses to find the site in your subfolder. Can you check that these point to the correct folder?

jjrjr2
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jjrjr2 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:00 pm

Morning

Actually I mad changes in the configurartion file  and joomla.php (replaced the dirname(__FILE__) call with config variables) initially to make the home page work.  However I found dirname(__FILE__) calls all  over the entire system.  I am concerned with changing all those calls to hard coded variable since who knows if that will break something else.

Does that help?

I am working on a couple of ideas.  Let me know if you have any.

Thanks again for your help

Sincerely,
John Real

kishoremnk
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by kishoremnk » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:01 am

jjrjr2 wrote:
The problem seems to be related to the function dirmane(__FILE__) in joomla.php.

It seems to return the wrong path and includes cannot be properly loaded.  (the code I played with was the code that loads PHP compatibility code.)  I made some modifications and replaced dirmane(__FILE__) with absolute pathing info that would be correct. 
Hello to all,

I am also facing this problem...

in my public_html/new folder having my latest code...
For make new code to live I just move the complete code to public_html folder.
Then when I type the url it shows me blank page.
I found the problem...that is...dirname (__FILE__) still shows public_html/new.

Can anybody having solution for this ...?

Please need help asap ...
Nanda Kishore (PHP Developer - welcome to any suggestions / help / guiding regarding PHP and Joomla)
http://www.avidit.in/

kishoremnk
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by kishoremnk » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:20 am

My self found a solution for this and that works for me.

What I had done here is, I just downloaded the whole site in to my localhost.

And I uploaded that code into proper folder.

That's it. Finally It gives me correct path.
Nanda Kishore (PHP Developer - welcome to any suggestions / help / guiding regarding PHP and Joomla)
http://www.avidit.in/

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”