Wamp and IIS

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jayd
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Wamp and IIS

Post by jayd » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:43 am

I installed wamp but the little icon shows 2/3 full and says "1 of 2 services running"

I think my problem is that I have IIS running on port 80 so apache can't run there. I haven't installed joomla yet because I was trying to run the php script in the installation manual and haven't been able to do that yet.

When I went to services and tried to launch apache from there I got an error message "windows could not start the wampapache on local computer.

I have a couple of Dan Rahmel books and was already to rock and roll here but have been whomped by wamp.

***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****______

one solution to above that worked: I removed the IIS component thus eliminating competition over the 8080 port. Now the wamp server shows up fine.

Next problem is that I need to modify mysql but the only thing I have on the wamp download was an ugly msdos console. is there a nice mysql admin gui I can download and integrate into my WAMP5 Version 1.7.3 with little pain?

any ideas??

***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****_____

the drama continues:

I have fallen into a password trap. Reading the manual under mysql details, it said to setup a password for root before installing JOOMLA.

So I did using mysqladmin which I had installed

But now phpadmin will not open for me with the following error msg:

"phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in your configuration and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server."

Fine but I have no idea where the host, username and password exist in "my configuration" wherever THAT is.

the startup variables are greyed out in mysqladmin because it can't get a connection to mysql now. If I could get to that I could click thebox that says use old passwords and I'd be fine.

I was looking at both the book i have and the install manual and the install manual is the problem here as there is no warning of the mysql4  style password access problems in mysql5 (which is what wamp has).I think the mysql server is 5.0 and teh phpadmin is still useing mysql 4.x password styles, so if you change the password using mysql admin you are toast.

anyone with way I can find the mysqladmin config files? Is it in config.inc.php? that file is a beast and I don't want to touch it.

***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****

OK, so I'm not alone. Here is the problem I have restated by another user and a SOLUTION that I tried but does not work.

here is the quote from the user stating the problem again:
"It told me that I had to create a password, so I did. Then after I did it denied my access completely! Now I can't even view the page to change the password!

Error Message:
Error
MySQL said:

#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

I don't understand how to fix this.

I would appreciate someone's help. Thank you.

edited to add the "second post" here. I hope I'm doing this correctly this time.

Also, I'm getting another message too:

Welcome to phpMyAdmin 2.11.0

phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in your configuration and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

Error
MySQL said:

#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

I am new at this. All I can say to this is "huh?" Because it won't even allow me to access the page. "

***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****__

and here is the "solution", which looked good to me. I was surprised it didn't work:

phpMyAdmin has a few different ways of authentication: HTTP, cookie or config. What way do you use?

I only can guess it is 'config' since the other ways would open a form or a popup for you to authenticate. You can find this setting in /path-to-your-phpMyAdmin/config.inc.php at a line that says:

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = ....

If this is set to "config", you also should find 2 more lines not far away for user and password:

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = ''; // use here your password

You would not these 2 lines, when ..['auth_type'] is set to "cookie" or "HTTP".
***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****__

Now when I tried that solution:
This is what my config.inc.php file says:

// features (pmadb)
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type']     = 'config';    // Authentication method (config, http or cookie based)?
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user']          = 'root';      // MySQL user
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password']      = '';          // MySQL password (only needed

but when I slipped in my password, nothing had changed. Yes, I restarted all services from the icon so that the change would "take" but it didn't.

I've spent all afternoon on this. And still haven't installed JOOMLA yet. I hope someone sees all this and rewrites the installation manual page 11.

could there be another config file someplace? I was thinking for all the time spent I should blow the whole wamp and tool installs away and start over. But that wouldn't strike me as MANLY, if you follow my drift, which is now 8 feet with snow still forecast through the night...

***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****_______

Day3 I awaken, snow has filled up to the bottom of my second floor windows....
So now I manup and admit defeat. ******** this wamp ********. so I blow that away and after two or three more installs I realize the problem might be that the mysql administrator tool just simply doesn't work with the tool.

Then I find a thing called appserver that has the same php/mysql/apache setup and the download features a version that says all this happy horse******** with old passwords etc has been solved. so I install appserver on windows and then download the administrator and WOULD YOU BELIEVE same error. Lottsa bad language. I pray the rosary. Get off the wheel of fortune, center myself to Jesus.

Back at it again. find the error page on mysql for #1045(http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?35,9919,9919)
and pick up with a few more (I'd tried several of these, too many to mention) until I found one, Eric on 3/5/2007, which did the trick -- a very simple change to the config.inc.php file. I thought I had tried that on the wamp server earlier but couldn't remember if I had the authentication type to cfg or http. http is the correct one. I just noticed above my old config.inc.php file had cfg, so had I changed the authtype to http I think I would have had wamp working too.

ANYWAYS I created a new joomlaAdmin user with all the privileges of root and using my new joomlaAdmin I could access the admin tool with none of the functionality grayed out. Also created the joomla db with the tool. Very easy once you can see it. I think I could go back and reinstall wamp now and tweak that to work BUT with only a thimble of sanity left, I shall pass on that.

so now, believe it or not I am ready to install Joomla.

For anyone starting out trying a local install (not to godaddy or other remote servers) I would urge you NOT to read page 11 of the install manual. Even what appear to be very good books by Dan Rahmel are also lacking -- but they give a foundation from which to solve the problem.

My solution, for what it's worth is checking the config.inc.php file and making sure the authtype is http and not config and that you have the root password between the single quotes as I've noted below:

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type']     = 'http';    // Authentication method (config, http or cookie based)?
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user']          = 'root';      // MySQL user
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password']      = '';          // sticking your password between the two single quotes, e.g, 'wampNUTZ'

See you on the Joomla forum. Farewell Installation Forum. Go with gahd.
Last edited by jayd on Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Wamp and IIS

Post by ircmaxell » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:05 pm

Download phpMyAdmin, and install it.  That should work fine for you...  You can also use MySQL administrator, but it's a bit harder to learn (but more powerful at that)...
Anthony Ferrara - Core Team - Development Coordinator - Bug Squad - JSST

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...
http://www.joomlaperformance.com For All Your Joomla Performance Needs

wmmishah
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Wamp and IIS

Post by wmmishah » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:17 pm

I've spent 2 nights tosolve this issue.

Keep in your mind that Port # 80 might be blocked by one of the services. Stop them before running WAMP.

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”