Problems using MediaTemple as host

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
nflgrid
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Problems using MediaTemple as host

Post by nflgrid » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:47 am

Well the SQL container is a major improvement over recent latency. But it is still slow. The dv and rackspace are still being worked on it will probably take me a week or two to get them done to compare. I will advise.

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:46 am

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I added to a forum thread at (mt) where people have been comparing uptime, response time, etc.:
https://forums.mediatemple.net/viewtopi ... d=2288&p=5

You know what's funny? Google "media temple joomla" and this thread comes up first, but the SERP text is this, from nflgrid's post on the first page:
Media Temple rocks.

As I have said I have many sites and because MT is so good (speed and uptime wise) I wanted to move some of my Joomla sites over to them.

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:13 am

nflgrid, you might be interested in Linode too. (Xen VPS similar to SliceHost/Rackspace CS)

yerg
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

MediaTemple security concerns

Post by yerg » Mon May 24, 2010 10:31 pm

A real concern I have come across that is an absolute idiotic situation so let everyone beware

When you upload files to the GS they all automatically become 0777

So if you do a Joomla install or add a component/module/plugin to your GS account then all those files are exposed to being compromised.

I raised this with MT as I have a number of clients who use their service and wait for it .... here is their response
The default upload permissions on the (gs) Grid-Service is 755. This configuration was made as a median for people who are unfamiliar with directory permissions and as so, sets them to an executable state. We found that this reduces the need for our customers to contact our support department for possible issues that can arise out of having too restrictive of permissions after uploading their site content.
Absolutely unbelievable !!!

So after doing anything relating to file uploads code upgrades do a recursive CHMOD files/folders 0644/0755

Ignore this at your peril
We cannot become what we need to be ... by remaining what we are

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Tue May 25, 2010 12:47 am

You are wrong. As (mt) told you, the default is 755. I have never seen them default to anything else.

yerg
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by yerg » Tue May 25, 2010 1:00 am

My bad 0777 was incorrect

I have only had that issue since the last upgrade they made and discovered it by mistake as I usually use SSH but used FTP and discovered what was happening

I've been with them for some of our stuff for 4 years

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Tue May 25, 2010 1:51 am

What clusters and storage segments is this happening on? It definitely shouldn't happen, and I really doubt they intended it.

yerg
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by yerg » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:38 am

I have three clients using MT and the situation is identical for them all
clusters and storage segments - can you enlighten me here?

Is this intended?
From the comment below ... I believe it is
This configuration was made as a median for people who are unfamiliar with directory permissions and as so, sets them to an executable state. We found that this reduces the need for our customers to contact our support department for possible issues that can arise out of having too restrictive of permissions after uploading their site content.
My concern is that it opens up sites to being compromised and the blame is then sheeted to the likes of J! and not where it should be. MT in this instance.

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:38 pm

Oh, I see they are saying they default new uploaded files to 755. Sounds like they are doing so to help a bit with typical permission problems people run into with applications like Joomla. That's not terrible. Higher than 755 would be terrible. You can change the permissions yourself and should keep an eye on that anyway.

My (gs) accounts set new uploads to 755 now after initially showing 777 for a few seconds. In the past I've noticed key config files being changed to below 644 on the (gs). Media Temple has more active security scanning now for common exploits and seems to be treating common users of Expression Engine, Wordpress and Joomla less like idiots and problems and more like a part of life they're better off helping than hissing at.

How to find your cluster and herd:
http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/156 ... ge+Segment

Best detailed explanation of the drawbacks of the (gs):
http://skfox.com/2010/03/24/some-though ... ia-temple/

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”