sh404SEF doesn't work after migrating website to new host

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jkrukin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

sh404SEF doesn't work after migrating website to new host

Post by jkrukin » Thu May 13, 2010 1:41 pm

Greetings,

For several years my website (www.jeffkrukin.com) was hosted by a friend's hosting company, but he left that business so I needed to migrate my website to a new hosting company. I migrated to Netfirms because I had previously used them when my website was based on Frontpage and I was familiar with them. Now I'm not sure about their Joomla environment.

When my website was running on my friend's hosting company he enabled the built-in sh404SEF, which worked properly. After my website was migrated to Netfirms, all of the links were broken and generated a 404 error. When sh404SEF was disabled the links all work, but they are no long SEF.

Joomla version is 1.0.12. I don't want to do an upgrade, just want to get sh404SEF working as it did before. I suspect the problem is related to differences in how Joomla was hosted at my friend's company and how it's hosted at Netfirms. On my friend's server I believe Joomla was the native OS, but I think Netfirms runs Joomla in a virtual environment (that's a guess, I'm not certain). Or, something related to differences in folder/subfolder structures.

When you respond, please keep in mind that I have only basic Joomla knowledge.

Thank you very much.

Jeff

Frustrato
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: sh404SEF doesn't work after migrating website to new hos

Post by Frustrato » Tue May 25, 2010 4:25 pm

sh404sef is very quirky and unpredictable - I would avoid using it if possible... don't think google cares that much about the URL anyways!

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”